Scores you adore in their movie but you would never listen to them without the film

GerateWohl

There are scores, that really do a pretty good job in their respective movies. But either the music on its own is not interesting enough musically to make me want to hear them on their own like... almost everything I ever heard from Hans Zimmer) or even it's quite unpleasant to hear them, because they are hectic loud and dissonant like for example "The Matrix". I really like the score, but listening to it on its own really gives me a hard time.

I also don't mind much pure electronic scores, but I often find them effective in the films, like John Carpenter's scores for example.

Any scores where you think, they work exceptionally well in the respective film, but you wouldn't have any interest in listening to them on their own?

Sure, though I'm not sure I'd use the word "adore." There are lots of film scores that I really enjoy while watching the film, but don't find the out of context experience particularly great. Including most electronic scores and almost anything by ZImmer (though I love the Interstellar OST). The Matrix would be one. Battlestar Galactica...I love McCreavy's work on that show but am not interested in the OST's.  Leonard Berstein Rosenman has done some work I love in context of the film but I find listening to most of his OST's to be grating.

Most of the Zimmer scores for Nolan, as well as Blade Runner 2049. Actually, with a few exceptions, most of the scores HZ has done since 2008 fall into that category. Last year he returned to his more sweeping orchestral sound for WW1984, but I'm expecting another experimental score for Dune.

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Leonard Berstein has done some work I love but I find listening to most of his OST's to be grating.

Elmer? Or Rosenman? Because Leonard Bernstein has only written one film score.

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Elmer? Or Rosenman? Because Leonard Bernstein has only written one film score.

Ergh! Yeah, that should have been Rosenman. 😂

46 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Unlistenable.

He always resented Bakshi for (in his opinion) ruining his great score with a lousy film. Though I'm pretty sure he felt that way about most of the directors he worked with.

I'd say if I "adore" any score at any point, I listen to it on it's own.

So I can't think of any score I truly adore only while watching.

Maybe Mad Max Fury Road?  I don't care to listen to it on it's own, but I love it in the film.

The same with Nolan's Batman films.  I'm a fan of his theme for Batman.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Under The Skin

Yes, that is a good example. Also some of the scores, that Howard Shore did for David Cronenberg. Like Videodrome or eXisTenz. I don't adore those two. But I have them on CD and never listen. 

51 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

He always resented Bakshi for (in his opinion) ruining his great score with a lousy film. Though I'm pretty sure he felt that way about most of the directors he worked with.

A genius in.his own mind!😒

This is a really tricky and interesting one, because as soon as I've seen a film and noticed the score, it generally means the music will mean something to me when separated.

The closest I can think of right now would be Speed. The score works fantastically in the film, but I only find myself listening to a short playlist of some highlighs.

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The Matrix would be one.

Essentially, masterpeice movies, TV or video games that repeat the same few cool ideas throughout.

I've pretty much named 3 movies and games which are masterpieces. I really love the Matrix ost in the film, it's so Meta