Poll: Favorite Recording of Excerpts From Close Encounters

danbeck

Favorite recording of Excerts from Close Encounters  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite recording of Excerpts from Close Encounters and why?

• Excerpts (10:03) John Williams – Boston Pops 1980 (albums "Pops In Space" and "By Request…")
    • Medley (9:47) John Williams – Boston Pops 1991 (Williams/Spielberg Vol. 1)
    • Excerpts (7:35) John Williams – The President’s Own 2008
    • Excerpts (8:27) Gustavo Dudamel - LA Philharmonic 2019 (Celebrating John Williams)
    • Excerpts (7:47) John Williams – Wiener Philharmoniker 2020 (John Williams in Vienna)
    • Other (which)?
    • Suite (12:33) Zubin Mehta - LA Philharmonic 1978

On 5/29/2021 at 12:12 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Cool. What will you sing?

Bit late with my reply. I was waiting for them to put it up officially, then they didn't do that for months… I just noticed it's finally up now:

https://www.musikverein.at/konzert/eventid/48508

It's not "our" event - we're just an additional choir hired because Carmina Burana needs all the choirs you can get. I also don't know yet in which of the other pieces we might be involved.

…and they misspelled the name of our choir. <hermione>It's "Amerlingchor", not "Amerling Chor".</hermione> I blame the Arnold Schoenberg Chor for officially misspelling their own name and confusing everyone. The simple fact that they're much (much) better than we are doesn't justify that.

On 6/25/2021 at 4:56 PM, stravinsky said:

No one has mentioned an EMI Music for Pleasure release containing suites from E.T Close Encounters and Star Wars. Someone called Frank Barber conducting the LSO and National Philharmonic. I bought this on tape when I was 12 years old. It may not have been available in the USA. The album was released on CD by Cinephile. 

R-2007497-1258197389.jpeg.jpg

Oh, snap! I also had this on cassette, though I was 8 years old at the time. It was the only music recording I owned until (ahem) Ghostbusters, two years later: Can’t believe the tape didn’t wear out, especially on the Star Wars suite, which I can still remember started at 223 on my stepdad’s Akai tape deck (I used to fast forward through Adventures on Earth back then).

Weren’t there some very odd synth effects interpolated into CE3K on side 2? Like some weird space battle.

Mark

On 6/25/2021 at 4:56 PM, stravinsky said:

I don't know. I never listened to the side of the tape containing CE3K when I was a kid. The music sounded too "weird" for me at that age. I just bought a copy of the Cinephile CD recently. It's amazing how "British" the orchestra sounds.