The ALIEN FRANCHISE Appreciation thread.

7 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

They seem like the same "type", I don't see what the girl in red has to offer that he isn't getting at home!

In the long run, personality is more important than looks.

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

What principle? You never watch a fourth movie? After Amelie you have sworn never to watch another Jeunet movie? What?

No.

Because Ripley was KILLED at the end of "3".

Bringing her back was unjustifiable and a shameless and desperate act.

I'm a man of principle, dammitt!😁

19 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I could swear that the fun of the meme is that both girls are played by the same person. That's the joke, i think.

But… they're not…

There's more to their story, too.

And anyway, it's all stolen from Back to the Future:

nncw678wghk21.jpg

On 5/26/2021 at 8:03 AM, bruce marshall said:

...unjustifiable...

😁

What's also unjustifiable, and downright mystifying, as that Fiorina 161 is referred to Fiori 16.

I don't get it.

Bruce is right, though: the series should have ended with ALIEN³.

Except, Bruce is never right. The franchise would have ended with a disowned movie. And I agree with Fincher, I would have disowned it too. When watching Alien 3, you just feel that this isn't what the director wanted. 

• 4 weeks later...

Alien 3 should have resulted in every one being forever banned from working in film, except Weaver.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:13 PM, AC1 said:

Except, Bruce is never right. The franchise would have ended with a disowned movie. And I agree with Fincher, I would have disowned it too. When watching Alien 3, you just feel that this isn't what the director wanted. 

The movie version of Alien 3 is much better than this so called director's cut.

Anyway, I think, director's cuts are mostly overrated. Alien franchise is the best example. 

Even though I never watched it, I know there's a so-called director's cut of Alien too, but Ridley Scott said the theatrical cut of Alien is the director's cut. Don't care for a more snappier edited version of Alien. Yikes!

25 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Anyway, I think, director's cuts are mostly overrated. 

For many an exception would be Blade Runner, and personally, I think the longer version of Scott's Kingdom Of Heaven is a vast improvement over the TC.

NASA_Journey_to_Mars_and_%E2%80%9CThe_Ma

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Even the composer?

He hasn't written anything worthwhile since so yeah

I love the Alien 3 score, though Goldenthal is in my top 5 favorite film composers so I am biased there I suppose. 

It was actually a holy grail for me and I was ecstatic when LLL announced it's release!

One of my most favorite moments is the frantic descending strings that you hear at the end of the movie when the Alien is getting sprayed by the sprinklers prior to it's exploding/death. 

Also, I think Goldenthal is the only composer who can have the low brass (bass trombones/ contrabass? cimbassi?) play the ultra low and raspy *bwaaaamm* pedal tones and have it seem annoying as it seems to be on modern scores (my opinion, obviously). 

I mean, the score really does a good job in the movie.

But I realize, currently I am really into this golden age scores and really appreciating what goes on there musically and enjoing the musical experience aprt from the movie. Means, when currently I listen to a score I am not interested in special sound colors or how good it works in the film but just how much does it wake my interest as a pure musical piece.

With that view a lot of the stuff I usually like currently sounds quite boring to me. Sadly.

Not John Williams of course. That still works perfectly as well.

But he never wrote an Alien score, so... just to close the circle to the main topic.

I like Goldenthal's Alien 3 as well. 

Actually, I don't think there was a "bad score" in the first 4 Alien movies. I even think John Frizzel's Ressurection is a decent score. The Prometheus/Covenant movies, on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I like Goldenthal's Alien 3 as well. 

Actually, I don't think there was a "bad score" in the first 4 Alien movies. I even think John Frizzel's Ressurection is a decent score. The Prometheus/Covenant movies, on the other hand...

I agree, I like all four scores. 

For Prometheus, I kind of like the 'main theme' that appears a few times, but beyond that no...Covenant I listened to once and did not enjoy. 

• 3 weeks later...