The ALIEN FRANCHISE Appreciation thread.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Check out this bitchin' pick of the ALIENS premiere 35 years ago today

q97e7w4lh5b71.jpg?width=960&auto=webp&s=

Great photo. I really need to get that suit Paul Reiser is wearing. 

Jeanette Goldstein, looking radiant..."oh Vasquez, you're just too bad!"

...and Bill Paxton looking like he's lost in the background there. 

No Horner...he was probably too pissed after having to stay up all night to rewrite Bishop's Countdown at the last second. 

Even allowing that this is the 80s, the way Paul Reiser rolls up his sleeves in that photo reveals him to be both a deeply insecure and way too eager to please man.

6 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Even allowing that this is the 80s, the way Paul Reiser rolls up his sleeves in that photo reveals him to be both a both deeply insecure and way too eager to please man.

Pfft, well he's mad about you!

Was Paul Reiser's look meant to be hyper futuristic?  Scott's Alien is way older and yet looks more timeless (and fresher).

43 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Was Paul Reiser's look meant to be hyper futuristic?  Scott's Alien is way older and yet looks more timeless (and fresher).

From memory even Cameron conceded the costume tweaks to suits in the early boardroom scenes didn't really age as hoped.

• 5 months later...

That would have worked too but it doesn't bother me. My mind knows there isn't a giant Ripley in space (plus having the main character on the cover probably helps to sell the book). So you think there's too much on the cover then? I think it's a balanced composition with everything in the right place. I would have green-lighted it as well. 

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

But put together badly!

Well, of course, it's put together, it's not one drawing, but I don't mind. The three elements look good and they are spaced out nicely.

This is much worse:

aliens_artbook_submission_piece_by_spaillustration_devoa5u-fullview.jpg

3 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Nothing beats Alien, but in my opinion, Alien 3 beats Aliens.

Gutsy opinion! I respect it, even if I disagree with it. And I'm a big ALIEN 3 supporter (I consider it the 14th best film of the entire 90s).

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

Yeah, I thought I would see who I could provoke. ☺️

Honest opinion though. 😊

I can totally see someone having it. And that score!

Like so many people here, when I hear the 20th Century Fox Fanfare a part of my brain says "Star Wars". So when that last note holds and then crashes it's like my mom walked into the room and instead of giving me cookies pulls a knife on me. I knew at that moment that I was in for something and boy was I right.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Tom Skerritt celebrates his 89th birthday!

MV5BMWM0NzMzNGEtOTM2My00MDQ4LTg2ZGEtOWI5

I'll watch A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, in celebration, later.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Alien looks beautiful on Blu-ray. It's a work of art, literally.

It always was :)

3 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Then you have them all.

This is what I said to myself. I was hesitating between buying these two titles separately or buying the 6-films boxset.

Good taste won!

I'm surprised Aliens hasn't been remastered in 4K yet.

I'd be curious to see what restoration could be done on that grainy negative with modern tech. The Bluray looks fantastic of course, even if it was graded with modern teal/orange sensibilities.

My understanding is James Cameron has been a little busy.

We still haven’t even gotten a Blu-Ray of The Abyss (though supposedly 4K remasters of both films have been completed).

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Then you have them all.

I remember vehemently hating Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection when they were released in theatres. And I still hated them upon rewatching them on home media. Needless to say, I expected to hate them when I bought the Alien Blu-ray box movies contaiing all 4 movies. Well, I still didn't see the light when it comes to Fincher's disowned movie but much to my surprise I somehow had fun with Jeunet's Metal Hurlant-esque caricatured take on the Alien universe.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It always was :)

Home media releases didn't always do it justice.

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I remember vehemently hating Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection when they were released in theatres. And I still hated them upon rewatching them on home media. Needless to say, I expected to hate them when I bought the Alien Blu-ray box movies contaiing all 4 movies. Well, I still didn't see the light when it comes to Fincher's disowned movie but much to my surprise I somehow had fun with Jeunet's Metal Hurlant-esque caricatured take on the Alien universe.

I was exactly the opposite. I loved ALIEN ³, and hated ALIEN RESURRECTION.

Now I see the dry humour in AR, and I appreciate its technical aspects, but I can't say that I've grown to love it.

ALIEN ³, on the other hand, was, is, and always shall be, my favourite Alien film.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Home media releases didn't always did it justice.

Indeed. There's nothing like seeing it in 70mm. Right, Alex? :)

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed. There's nothing like seeing it in 70mm. Right, Alex? :)

I did see the 70mm (blowup) version. Same for Star Wars and Blade Runner. You'd think because of the blowup process the IQ would suck but all three looked great. Of course, 2001: ASO was genuine 70mm.

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ALIEN ³, on the other hand, was, is, and always shall be, my favourite Alien film.

:folder:

I didn't hate 3 when I saw it. I don't watch it much but I certainly see value to it. There is almost no point to 4. I liked the beginning but by the end it goes so far off the deep end that I can't even watch it again.

1 and 2 are masterpieces.

31 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I didn't hate 3 when I saw it. I don't watch it much but I certainly see value to it. There is almost no point to 4. I liked the beginning but by the end it goes so far off the deep end that I can't even watch it again.

1 and 2 are masterpieces.

Aliens is a lot like Terminator in that way...two classic films followed by seriously diminishing returns. There's only so many ways you can tell the same story.

On 15/7/2021 at 1:04 AM, SteveMc said:

The franchise ends for me with Aliens.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif