Temple of Doom Sanskrit Sacrifice/Sacrifice Sweetener/Drums

Brando

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Got it.

So maybe "Marching Band No. 1" is also an existing march and not a JW composition?

That one doesn't sound familiar, so it may be a JW original. It's not very good......not a slam on JW of course, but for the idea of "write a decent-sounding source-music march," it sounds pretty on-point. 

I had all this info about Marching Band No. 2 in my notes, except that I put the arranger down as Robert Cray. I wonder if that information was stated on the forum (I couldn't find it in a search) because I would have had no way to just assume that on my own. Any insight as to where that name might have come from and if it could be accurate at all?

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I had all this info about Marching Band No. 2 in my notes, except that I put the arranger down as Robert Cray. I wonder if that information was stated on the forum (I couldn't find it in a search) because I would have had no way to just assume that on my own. Any insight as to where that name might have come from and if it could be accurate at all?

There's a good chance that came from me, although it would have only been partially accurate. Cray did an arrangement of the Armed Services medley that most of us have used off and on for decades (we occasionally have to switch versions because the "official" order of songs changes from time to time). 

Cray's version naturally includes the Coast Guard Song, but his treatment borrows heavily from the Schoenfeld version (which most people had become accustomed to hearing). I couldn't find a good YouTube recording of the Cray medley so I'm attaching it as a track from one of our albums (properly licensed for distribution, of course). You can hear Semper Paratus around 1:35" or so.

350137343_ArmedServicesMedley.m4a

Thanks for sharing the medley. Listening to that, and some versions on YouTube that claim to be the Schoenfeld arrangement, I'm not really able to tell if Marching Band No. 2 is taken directly from either one of those. I certainly hear some of the same background flourishes etc.

I'm not sure what you're hearing, but that "Marching Band no. 2" is 100% the Schoenfeld arrangement. It's not even a "maybe" situation, or a "guess." There's a bit of added drum cadence in the Jaws track, but that's about it. The rest is literally the same exact tune and the same exact arrangement, albeit played by a "ragtag" sounding group.

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Yeah, I didn't hear any arrangements with the drums. Thanks for confirming!

I wrote my last post at a really crazy hour while working on (believe it or not) and armed services medley for our Clarinet Trio at the Air Force Academy Band. I'm afraid my last message sounded a little jerk-ish. Apologies - it wasn't meant that way. 

But yes - the drums would have been an incredibly easy thing to ask a few percussionists to make up on the fly, if he (or somebody else) didn't write it out in some form. 

No worries! I hope your Clarinet Trio turned out well. How cool to be able to work on something like that!

So, basic drum intro + Schoenfeld arrangement. Nice to have the case closed on Marching Band No. 2!

5 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

No worries! I hope your Clarinet Trio turned out well. How cool to be able to work on something like that!

So, basic drum intro + Schoenfeld arrangement. Nice to have the case closed on Marching Band No. 2!

Well, it turned out at least. :lol:

I've done this medley for so many groups, it's crazy. But if this is what they pay me to do, I guess it beats digging ditches. LOL

You can hear Semper Paratus (the Coast Guard Song) at around 1:45 in the attached MIDI render. Those Schoenfeld elements are so engrained into the tune that I even use them for clarinet trio writing. Ha. 

295689746_ArmedServicesMedley-ClarinetTrio.mp3

13 minutes ago, airmanjerm said:

Well, it turned out at least. :lol:

I've done this medley for so many groups, it's crazy. But if this is what they pay me to do, I guess it beats digging ditches. LOL

You can hear Semper Paratus (the Coast Guard Song) at around 1:45 in the attached MIDI render. Those Schoenfeld elements are so engrained into the tune that I even use them for clarinet trio writing. Ha.

I love how polite this music sounds on clarinets, lol. Nice work and thanks for sharing!

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Smelty had it coming!

Butt out!!!

• 4 months later...

So, Iam finally going through the various Chant sheets from the Sacrafice Sequences. I should have a more chronological transcription . Although I don't comprehend the the actual Sanskriti texts but I can still make out some words and those gave me goose bumps:

"Beloved Goddess"

"Wake us, O' Great Mother"

"Fire"

Interestingly the transacriptions are listed phonetically so Its difficult to revert them back to the original but Iam trying.

More later....

10 hours ago, Amer said:

So, Iam finally going through the various Chant sheets from the Sacrafice Sequences. I should have a more chronological transcription . Although I don't comprehend the the actual Sanskriti texts but I can still make out some words and those gave me goose bumps:

"Beloved Goddess"

"Wake us, O' Great Mother"

"Fire"

Interestingly the transacriptions are listed phonetically so Its difficult to revert them back to the original but Iam trying.

More later....

Watching the scene on YouTube is cool because some people post translations of Mola Ram’s lines, and once you know what they’re saying in English it makes the scent more terrifying.

• 2 months later...

Would the gongs in the opening cue be apart of the score? I know there's 2 gongs on the album version, but they're really quiet, versus the 3 gongs in the film which are booming.

I would speculate that JW recorded the score one way, the 2 gong version he put on the OST, and then later Spielberg decided the gongs should be louder and/or the scene was re-edited and now showed Pat Roach hitting the gong 3 times instead of just 2.

Whether JW recorded new gong hits with the orchestra as an overlay that got mixed into the film, or the sound team found their own gong noise without JW's involvement, we don't know.