20 years ago today this amazing FOTR teaser debuted

Jay

Man that was exciting.  This came even earlier!

That moment it transitions to widescreen....just epic and still gives me chills. And that choral music! They actually did a pretty incredible job with all the Lord of the Rings trailers.

Wow, I've never seen that before!  

The description says it's from April 2000.  The widescreen part from 1:19-end of that was reworked and extended to become this trailer that premiered in December 2000, in front of New Line's "Thirteen Days":

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Man that was exciting.  This came even earlier! That moment it transitions to widescreen....just epic and still gives me chills.

Oh yes, I remember watching this countless times, partially because of the choral trailer music towards the end, which I found awesome. I was disappointed it wasn't included as a bonus track on the OST.

Interesting that at some point between that original internet preview and this first trilogy trailer they dropped “J.R.R. Tolkien’s” from The Lord of the Rings title & logo (which also eventually changed).

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

I graduated college 20 years ago this month.  I hear you.

Well I’m not THAT old 😛

Seeing Lord of the Rings at 10 was amazing but it must have been a different sort of amazing to see something like that on the bug screen at 20/21.

I’d love to be able to experience these films for the first time again. 

And then discovering the extended edition before Two Towers came out… what a time to be alive. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, I've never seen that before!  

The description says it's from April 2000.  The widescreen part from 1:19-end of that was reworked and extended to become this trailer that premiered in December 2000, in front of New Line's "Thirteen Days":

Ooph. They were really experimenting with those taglines eh? 

But yea, that FOTR teaser is glorious.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

"You Will Find Adventure Or Adventure Will Find You" does not exactly describe the movie

I think they were referring to Frodo's initial reluctance to take the Ring.  

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

"You Will Find Adventure Or Adventure Will Find You" does not exactly describe the movie

Definitely. It's interesting to see how the tone of the marketing evolved as they got closer to the films' release.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There were too many words so they had to cut a few.

This is actually probably pretty close to the truth. When they did the initial promotion just letting the world know a Lord of the Rings film was coming it made sense to put Tolkien’s name up front. 

But once they got down to marketing the individual films, it would have been a little awkward. “J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” is a mouthful.

Wow these are awesome! Thanks for sharing. I actually missed the first two films in theaters. I was on the Harry Potter train in 2000-2002 and only saw Fellowship and Two Towers on DVD before seeing RotK in theaters. I missed all this marketing. Very cool to see!

Great trailer!

I was 8 when this movie came out, so I didn't watched it in theaters... but I did see Monsters Inc and HP1 at the big screen during that Christmas, so yeah, it was great. :D

I only watched Fellowship months later at the DVD, and dubbed in Portuguese (it was weird hearing Goku's voice on Sam Tarly, lol). Still, it was an unforgettable experience.

Its kinda morbidly interesting to see all these early trailers with the deleted second-long scenes that still havent been seen anywhere.

I always liked that shot of the 2nd age army forces moving forward, shame they reworked the prologue so much it wasn't used any more

On 5/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, Jay said:

I saw it in front of Pearl Harbor

So did I. I about fainted then and there.