James Newton Howard's JUNGLE CRUISE (2021)

Jay

I do not have details. I was only told that he had to basically rewrite most of the score from scratch (and it's not that unusual these days). But it's unconfirmed rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Which poster art should Disney Records use for the OST cover?

Amazon.com: newhorizon Jungle Cruise Movie Poster 14'' x 21'' NOT A DVD:  Posters & Prints

or

New Poster and Trailer Released for “Jungle Cruise” Movie - WDW News Today

5 hours ago, Jay said:

A new trailer is here

Really looking forward to this score!

Same here! Movie looks fun too, although the CGI in the trailer leaves a lot to be desired..

Hope there isn’t time for Disney to panic and bring on Balfe to score it suddenly 😬

(If they’re potentially wanting to recapture the success of the first Pirates romp, I could see them doing that...)

I like the softer tones of the first poster actually. It also feels like the more hand-drawn 'retro' feel of the second is trying to lend the movie a quality it probably doesn't have.

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Hope there isn’t time for Disney to panic and bring on Balfe to score it suddenly 😬

The movie is pretty much locked at that point, so I don't think Disney would change anything this late in the game.

Yeah I'm just hoping for a pulpy, old-school style score from JNH. The film seems ripe for that type of rich adventure scoring in the vein of Waterworld or Dinosaur. Fingers crossed it allowed him a decent canvas to break loose.

With JHN describing it has having "good themes" and "taking inspiration from Raiders" I have high hopes while trying to keep low expectations to avoid disappointment.

This is exactly the sort of film I'd expect Henry Jackman to score these days, so to have JHN on board instead is very promising. I hope it's a proper old-school adventure score with electronics and horns of doom remaining absent.

The trailer looks depressing. But what to expect from another script-o-mat 3000 rip-off with zero aspirations to anything. There seems to be nothing but a succession of action scenes, so it lacks the gravitas that could afford good musical score (as in: with at least some depth). Another 'Night at the Museum' checklist of musical genre clichés, but adventure scoring is dead, anyway. 

The film looks atrocious but here's hoping the score rocks!

JNH referencing Raiders as his inspiration is exciting! He's one of the most talented film composers working today; there's really no reason he couldn't knock this out of the park and write something in the vein of an Indiana Jones score.

It's refreshing to see a big-budget adventure film that isn't scored by the likes of Jackman, Balfe, Holkenborg or Zimmer's autopilot factory.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2021 at 10:14 AM, publicist said:

I think what you conveniently ignore is that everyone, including probably Hans Zimmer himself, cites a classic like Raiders, it's just a shorthand. It has no real meaning. A composer can't *really* write around an idiotic ADHS movie like this, because it lacks any real center. And to have just the empty gestures, the orchestral frenzies, i mean, we heard this kind of stuff so often before, and with JNH being what he is today, i'm not sure he even can muster the energy of 'Hidalgo' (which isn't that high of a benchmark).

I think there's a middle ground that's achievable with this score. I agree that citing Raiders as an inspiration is typical crowd-pleasing PR, but I'd disagree that composers can't write around (what may be) a silly movie like this. Hidalgo is a really evocative score for a terrible movie - we just need the director to request the right type of score.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Any JNH music in this featurette?

If that's from the score, ignore everything I just said :P

Sounds like generic trailer music to me - they could've tried a lot harder.

Oh I wasn't expecting there to be any JNH in that featurette, but you never know!

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Hidalgo is a really evocative score for a terrible movie

Poor JNH has done a lot of great scores for terrible movies: The Postman, The Happening, After Earth, Last Airbender, Crimes of Grindelwald...

I've never seen the movie either but the score is really nice. Much of the non-action material has a very similar sound to Hidalgo - I think JNH has a real talent for creating soundscapes using only strings/brass/woodwinds.

On 7/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, Jay said:

Any JNH music in this featurette?

Given how James described his score in that recent podcast thing, I’d bet all my money that it isn’t.

Doesn’t sound like him anyway.

This is my most anticipated score of the summer so I really fucking hope not.

I like Lockington scores! Was just trying to say I'm "surprised" he's not scoring this, given he seems to be scoring all adventure/fun movies with The Rock.

There's a a movie clip on Disney's Instagram. You can hear Howard's score. In only 30 seconds it sounded great.

Jungle drums, big orchestra & choir + some mexican guitar for a character seen in the clip

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks!  The music in that clip was very good, especially at the end!

Oooh!  Here's a clip on youtube with really good JNH score!!

Aw. This score will be super fun. Can’t wait! 😀

Another clip with new music, this time with i assume to be the main theme:

Kudos to those who have guessed that the music in the trailer IS INDEED from the movie (the theme at least)

And one other thing, i love how well the music is mixed in the movie (judging by those clips)!

Anyway, really can't wait for this 😭