James Newton Howard's JUNGLE CRUISE (2021)

Jay

I do find it strange Howard's name is not on the soundtrack cover.  You'd think a composer at his level would be able to have that be included in his contract for agreeing to score the film.  Weird.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I do find it strange Howard's name is not on the soundtrack cover.  You'd think a composer at his level would be able to have that be included in his contract for agreeing to score the film.  Weird.

Agreed. It was also the case with Raya and Blade Runner 2049 (not by JNH but another example) if I am not mistaken.

16 hours ago, Anthony said:

You do realise that your third example here IS the exact same theme you said didn't get repeated, just slowed way down and in "longing" mode. It's Lily's theme, and is all over the score. :)

Thanks. I thought it sounded similar but wasn't sure if it was the same theme. Regardless, my original point still stands: I'm disappointed that this particular orchestration/version of the theme didn't appear more in the score.

Just finished my second listen. It’s definitely growing on me. It’s a slow burner.

I reckon I’ll love this by the end of the week.

The ‘Market Chase‘ cue is my favourite so far. Lot’s of John Williams-esque channelling. Really REALLY good brass writing in there. Some of the best action writing JNH has done.

That mini-fanfare at 1:07 actually gave me goosebumps.

John Powell has his work cut out. :P

‘I Want You To Rest Now’ is another banger. Howard is always good at writing finale or ‘resolution‘ cues… the kind that start gorgeously and end with a fanfare of sorts. Love it.

1 hour ago, LSH said:

The ‘Market Chase‘ cue is my favourite so far. Lot’s of John Williams-esque channelling. Really REALLY good brass writing in there. Some of the best action writing JNH has done.

Agreed. The action writing in this score is stellar. 

My favorite cues are in the ending though: everything from Underwater Puzzle to I Want you To Rest is amazing.

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Also, like most have mentioned… how fantastic is it to have a score like this in a film-world dominated by Zimmer???

Indeed. JNH, Powell and maybe Giacchino are the only ones that still are allowed to write this kind of old-fashioned orchestral score. So it's very refreshing to hear scores like these in a musical landscape dominated by RC.

Third listen….

i really like this. Yes, it’s a very ‘busy’ score but there’s a great deal to like here.

Again, the action music is top notch. It’s fantastic even. I would love to have witnessed this being recorded.

I tried this a couple days ago, had to pause it midway through and left it there. Then I saw the movie and came back again to listen to the full thing and I'm much more into it!

I've given this several end-to-end listens and I'm loving it more each time. Mayve a few bits there could've been shaved, but none of it is boring or just 'there'. I just have to be in the mood for a slightly comedic approach on occasion.

Is it just me, or does it seem like flac downloads are getting more expensive? 7Digital/Qobuz want £17 for the album in flac... I'd pay less than that for a CD. Although I wonder if it's just the fact that it's Disney which makes them feel the can charge more (I usually only see that sort of price for multi-hour albums).

I've been listening to this score quite a lot over weekend cleaning and some thoughts - 

This is very much in the vein of Fantastic Beasts. I think this got him the gig  and the film was perhaps temped with FB. Not exactly straight lifts but you can kinda make out which FB tracks were used to temp which scenes. Or maybe it is just JNH writing in his "house style".

There is one theme which seemed to me similar to the Wagner's famous Redemption theme for Gotterdamarung. 

But overall this is a very crafted score.

The film though is so busy and so overproduced and tedious that the score while very good is fighting with 20 other things in the movie.

But this is a very good effort - better than the film it is for.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a while. But I finally watched this film. It’s a decent fun romp. And I loved being able to hear how the score worked in the movie.

I will say that what seemed to be missing was any sense of urgency/stakes. No consequences. Nothing ever felt super dangerous. Perhaps this was intentional. But if they were deliberately trying to ape the formulas of PotC or The Mummy, those movies had humor and adventure but some very real danger/terror. 

I think this was something JNH’s score could have helped out a ton with. I don’t mind the bright adventurous tone (its a rarity today!) But it kinda stayed in that same mode the whole time even toward the climax of the film. Even when characters were involved in real harrowing situations, the music kinda telegraphed that they’d be fine. It didn’t really vary from its bubbly fun spirit. I’m not saying they needed to go full RC and score the whole thing in D Minor btw. Granted this is ultimately a gripe with some of the direction/writing. But I feel the score could have given things a lift.

• 1 month later...

I listened to this whole score album this morning.  I stand by my earlier assessment that the first half of the score album is extremely superior to the second half, and culling down some of the less interesting material, and maybe moving the Suite to the end instead of the beginning, would have made a stronger album

Does anyone who saw the film remember if there's any score in the film that didn't make the album?

We'll be watching it when it drops on Disney+ next Friday

I actually find that the highlights are spread pretty evenly through the album, although I struggle to recall what tracks 20-23 sound like, so there may be something in your analysis.

I kind of view this score in a vein that Powell talked about in an interview recently, where he implied that just trying to be 'another Williams' was no good in the modern scoring world - you need to be offering something different.

Hence for me this score is a bit like KotCS for Williams - there's nothing very new, super-inventive or particularly remarkable when compared to existing action scores, but it's still a solid score. It definitely wears out its welcome on album though.

My playlist (runs a bit over 35 min)

Not completely chronological. Just like how this flows better for me and spaces out some of the action.

A Steamer to Brazil

Market Chase

Jungle Cruise

Trader Sam

I Built a Boat

La Luna Rota

Nothing to Else Matters - (Jungle Cruise version)

Tree Fight

Encantado

Petal Negotiations 

Conquistadors Arrive

I want you to rest now

Absolutely Exhausting

Jungle Cruise suite

My only criticism of the score (and film) is that nothing feels/sounds at stake. It just kinda bubbles along from event to event and I never felt the characters were in peril. I think that spilled into the music. I don’t mind light hearted adventure fun. But even light hearted adventures have genuine tension and stakes. ( I will say “Tree Fight” scratches that itch a bit for me)

• 2 weeks later...

FYC site is live!

https://disneystudiosawards.com/jungle-cruise/score/

Here's what's there:

01 Stop Her! (2:33)
02 Steamer to Brazil (1:57) [web page says "A Steamer to Brazil"]
03 Jungle Cruise (1:53)
04 Nilo (1:12)
05 Frank Breaks In (1:18)
06 Market Chase (2:45)
07 Sub Attack (2:14)
08 Encantado (1:18)
09 The Rapids (3:42)
10 Lily Snoops (2:29)
11 Trader Sam (1:24)
12 Tree Fight / Lily and Frank Swing / Frank Fights Aguirre (5:56) [website says "The Tree Fight"]
13 Lily Finds Frank (1:17)
14 Joachim and the Bees (1:10)
15 I Can Tell You What I Once Was / I Built A Boat (2:00) [website says "I Built A Boat"]
16 La Luna Rota (1:24)
17 Underwater Puzzle / Turn Water to Stone (4:35) [website says "Underwater Puzzle"]
18 Petal Negotiations (3:43)
19 Frank and MacGregor Fight Back (2:38)
20 One Last Cruise (1:19)
21 I Want You to Rest (3:46) [website says "I Want You To Rest Now"]
22 Absolutely Exhausting (1:00)
TOTAL TIME - 51:33

bitrate is a very terrible 160kbps

EDIT: Turns out there's nothing unreleased here.  This is simply 22 of the 27 OST tracks with no changes. 

The 5 OST tracks not on the FYC are

Jungle Cruise Suite
Nothing Else Matters (1)
Breaking Into the Archives
Preparing to Set Sail
Nothing Else Matters (2)

FYC Frank and MacGregor Fight Back = OST Conquistadors Arrive

We watched the film this weekend, and now I like the score even more.  It's so obvious now what's Lily's theme, what's Frank's theme, etc.

Also, I get now why the second half of the OST album is less good than the first half of the OST album; The second half of the film kinda drags out and is kinda boring and repetitive, compared to the first half which was comparatively way more fun.  So maybe JNH lost inspiration along the way.   

Or, maybe subsequent listens will make me appreciate some of the later cues more.  We'll see!

On 18/11/2021 at 1:37 AM, Jay said:

EDIT: Turns out there's nothing unreleased here.  This is simply 22 of the 27 OST tracks with no changes. 

Interesting... have the FYC submission rules changed again?

Or is JNH's score just miraculously untouched on both the album and in the film?

I don't think JNH generally makes many internal edits to his scores for their OST albums - this OST album feels like its just a collection of cues, one per track

His scores also don't tend to have a lot of alternates. I didn't notice anything different in the film than I was used to from the album

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Interesting... have the FYC submission rules changed again?

Or is JNH's score just miraculously untouched on both the album and in the film?

Don't the rules just stipulate that the FYC must contain the same takes used in the film? I wouldn't imagine it covers any editing, so this likely just means that if JNH did compose any alternates, he put the revised ones on the album.

GEMA has the list of cues heard in the film up (minus Nothing Else Matters, possibly with OST track names mixed in that are the same music as cue names also in the list)

Who can sort in order?

Jungle Cruise {co-composed with Alexander Stover Rodzinski}

A Steamer To Brazil
Absolutely Exhausting
Approaching The Rapids

Bar Source #1 {composed by Alexander Stover Rodzinski}

Bar Source #2 {composed by Alexander Stover Rodzinski}

Bar Source #3 {composed by Alexander Stover Rodzinski}
Conquistadors Arrive
Conquistadors Close In
Dormant Tree
Encantado