Can you suggest some really good headphones that are not more than 100 bucks?

mxsch

I use ATH-M40x headphones for my mixing.

Pro-Tip: There is no true flat frequency headphones. You're looking for the closest to flat you can get. The ATH-M40x headphones are around $50-60 and get me good results.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got these closed leather-bound ones, among others. Can be used both with Bluetooth and with cable. Good compromise between sound, price, and comfort.

71qBM4FdZ9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've also got an old pair of Creative Aurvana Live! that I'm quite fond of.

The primary brand I can recommend are Superlux, who've made some stellar products for ridiculously cheap prices. I got the HD668B for a discounted price at $30, though it should be good at the $40 it's more often at. Some of their other models I hear are also good, but those don't have detachable cables and are quite lengthy, so that's something to keep in mind. They also are mostly semi-open, meaning sound can easily go in and out, thus not that great at isolation and are prone to sound leakage. There do exist some closed models, but I hear less about them. Also, you likely would need to replace the pads if you get them, since the tight clamping force makes the ones they come with feel incredibly uncomfortable.

The Samson SR850 are supposedly from the same manufacturers, and as such have a lot of the same qualifies that the previous brand has for around $40. Still have to deal with the long non-detachable cable and semi open nature, so there's that.

On the pricier end, you have the Philips SHP9500S for currently $80. Probably the best pair of cans that I own currently, but their fully open nature prevent me from using them too often. I reckon they should satisfy under the right circumstances if you live in pretty quiet spaces.

The last ones I can point to are the AKG K361, which do go a bit over $100, so this might surpass your price limits a bit. Being my most recent acquisition, I've been a bit more conflicted about them. It often doesn't quite feel the same everytime I put them on, but for whatever reason, I've been getting more consistent results after I switched the cable. So that could play a factor in your assessment of the cans.

(I will also say that 2 out of the 3 sets I've directly mentioned have some EQ applied for them in recent times, so there's a good chance the default sound might not be for you (though as far as orchestral music goes, they should all be good)).

Slightly more than 100 depending on where you can get them (at least Amazon.com has them for almost twice as much, but a bit over €/£100 seems to be common in Europe):

AKG K702

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001RCD2DW/

71ujkI6G2AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I still have the K701 (though I'll upgrade before long, because mine are slowly falling apart), and they're stunning. The K702 are supposedly slightly better still by most accounts, and have a detachable cable (which should also prevent them from falling apart too soon).

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Wow, those are $220 on my end. Not sure if that's just Amazon US being dumb, or if it's indicative of the current management of AKG.

To be fair, that's about what I got my K701 for several years ago (and they were worth every cent). I was surprised that the new ones were so much cheaper.

6 hours ago, HunterTech said:

The primary brand I can recommend are Superlux, who've made some stellar products for ridiculously cheap prices. I got the HD668B for a discounted price at $30, though it should be good at the $40 it's more often at. Some of their other models I hear are also good, but those don't have detachable cables and are quite lengthy, so that's something to keep in mind. They also are mostly semi-open, meaning sound can easily go in and out, thus not that great at isolation and are prone to sound leakage. There do exist some closed models, but I hear less about them. Also, you likely would need to replace the pads if you get them, since the tight clamping force makes the ones they come with feel incredibly uncomfortable.

The Samson SR850 are supposedly from the same manufacturers, and as such have a lot of the same qualifies that the previous brand has for around $40. Still have to deal with the long non-detachable cable and semi open nature, so there's that.

On the pricier end, you have the Philips SHP9500S for currently $80. Probably the best pair of cans that I own currently, but their fully open nature prevent me from using them too often. I reckon they should satisfy under the right circumstances if you live in pretty quiet spaces.

The last ones I can point to are the AKG K361, which do go a bit over $100, so this might surpass your price limits a bit. Being my most recent acquisition, I've been a bit more conflicted about them. It often doesn't quite feel the same everytime I put them on, but for whatever reason, I've been getting more consistent results after I switched the cable. So that could play a factor in your assessment of the cans.

(I will also say that 2 out of the 3 sets I've directly mentioned have some EQ applied for them in recent times, so there's a good chance the default sound might not be for you (though as far as orchestral music goes, they should all be good)).

I have found legit and new K361 for only 68 bucks, is it worth it?

After watching this video, I was intrigued with the Yamaha HPH-MT5. A studio headphones that is supposedly better than the popular Audio Technica or Sony ones or even Yamaha's more expensive models. And he's not the only who claims that so what are you waiting for?

I own quite a few pairs of headphones but a family member bought me these last Christmas...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-CH700N-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Black/dp/B078VGQCZ4

Very good 'on the move' headphones when you don't want to take your expensive ones out of the house. Not the best noise cancellation but very good sound quality and comfort; I listen to film scores on them regularly and they are both crisp and deep.

I almost bought those when I got the AKGs. Given how much this hobby is practically a luxury for me, I kind of figured that if I wanted that kind of headphone, I'd get what's considered the most exceptional and versatile than what is considered merely decent. And given how nicely my "new" WH-1000MX3 have been so far, I think I made the right call.

For classical and ochestral music I strongly recommend Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT - they have very smooth and balanced sound and I got them for 90€. I also strongly recommend you not to get them via Amazon, but from your local tech store.

I'm so glad! I may be finding them a bit conflicting in other departments currently, but it hasn't disappointed whatsoever when it comes to orchestral music.