Laura's theme vs. Lara's theme vs. Tara's theme

Which theme do you like the most?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your answer wisely.

• Laura's theme (Raksin, 1944)
    • Lara's theme (Jarre, 1965)
    • Tara's theme (Steiner, 1939)

Why not throw in "Tara's Theme" while you're at it? ;)

I'm not a particular big fan of either. They're OK. If I had to choose one, I suppose "Lara".

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Why not throw in "Tara's Theme" while you're at it? ;)

Ooh, great idea. Now you may choose Tara's theme. :)

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

If I had to choose one, I suppose "Lara".

Your forgot a u there. ;)

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ooh, great idea. Now you may choose Tara's theme. :)

Then it's that, no contest.

Well probably Tara's theme, despite the fact they're impersonating the lead character.

It's very hard to split Lara's and Tara's though.

Easy one for me, Lara's Theme.

I'm probably biased though. Doctor Zhivago is one of my favourite films & books of all time. In addition to Lean version, I've watched the Russian miniseries and even the TV movie version with Kiera Knightley as Lara.

Incidentally, Eduard Artemyev put out a great score for the Russian production, and Ludovico Einaudi's for the Knightley version in particular is lovely & heartbreaking.

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

Well, duh! If that had been a contender, it would basically have beaten everything in the history of film and TV music (more or less).

On 5/28/2021 at 4:55 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

also sorry to say but that’s not a good version of Tara’s theme. Tara’s theme is ruined by a slower tempo and dry mix. It needs a faster tempo and reverberating wet mix to truly shine.

Honestly nothing beats the original main title. I have seen next to no recordings match the sweep of the original version.

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

also sorry to say but that’s not a good version of Tara’s theme. Tara’s theme is ruined by a slower tempo and dry mix. It needs a faster tempo and reverberating wet mix to truly shine.

I went with the sweeping JW re-recording. Here's Gerhardt's.

Probably Tara's Theme (honestly, had no idea it wasn't for a person...). Also have to admit that I have never really heard the appeal in Laura's Theme. It's lovely to be sure, but could never readily bring it to mind. Given how apparently famous it is (or rather, it was), I was surprised at how unmemorable I found it. Lara's Theme is obviously a classic, although I did find it somewhat annoying for some reason, but it's grown on me quite a bit.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Lara's theme is indeed annoying.

I don't know quite what it is, but yeah... although it's grown on me.

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Lara's theme was used amusingly to represent Flanders in a recent (I mean, from less than 10 years ago) Simpsons episode.

Random. Then again, a lot of pop culture references in TV shows and movies I think are probably less well recognised than the writers might imagine, aside from more hard core movie fans or people of a certain age. While it's obviously a cornerstone of sci-fi etc., I'm sure the number of people who recognise a 2001/Also Sprach Zarathustra reference are dwindling...

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

don't know quite what it is, but yeah... 

To me, it's the rhythm of the melody that's not optimal.

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

although it's grown on me.

You should have that checked.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I remeber an old comedy sketch from television where a man in the street wistles the first four bars of Lara's Theme to other passers-by and asks how the melody continues because he doesn't remember and everyone tries and come up with various other famous melodies but nobody with the right one. The sketch ends up with a crowd of people singing all over the place trying to figure out the melody. 

36 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I remeber an old comedy sketch from television where a man in the street wistles the first four bars of Lara's Theme to other passers-by and asks how the melody continues because he doesn't remember and everyone tries and come up with various other famous melodies but nobody with the right one. The sketch ends up with a crowd of people singing all over the place trying to figure out the melody. 

This thread won't rest before you find that clip!

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why do you hate the balalaika so much? Still not over 821?

LET. IT. GO.