94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

The people of Ukraine are very upset over the changes in the telecast

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Man I really dislike Ava Duvernay.  I thought Selma was pretty great, but does that give her the right to be the self-important narcissistic activist-bully she's been ever since?

And she's certainly profited very well financially from the new arrangements she has helped force onto productions.

Hide contents

image.png

I won't comment for fear of being reprimanded.

But, I think you know how I feel about the " diversity" issue.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Man I really dislike Ava Duvernay.  I thought Selma was pretty great, but does that give her the right to be the self-important narcissistic activist-bully she's been ever since?

Indeed. I also really liked Selma, but found her response to Laura's post condescending and just unhelpful.

Well, it's safe to say that Laura Karpman won't be scoring DuVernay's next movie :lol:

If she's even interested in directing still.  She might be perfectly happy just raking in the cash charging studios for access to her database of People You Are Allowed To Hire.  I'm sure getting in that database is completely above board and involves no funny business at all...

Villeneuve and Campion upset that 2022 Oscars will cut categories:

“Honestly, I think that the Academy’s throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I think it’s a mistake. And I understand that they’re under tremendous pressure, but I think it isn’t the right decision. The thing is that filmmaking is about a teamwork. It’s like a football team. It’s like you have like all different kinds of jobs that everybody needs to get the top of its game; otherwise the movie collapses, you know? It’s a team effort. In the media we are a lot about the directors. We are, of course, a lot about the actors. All the people that are working in the shadows there, unfortunately, they need to be seen and to be recognized, and these award shows are made for them.” - Denis Villeneuve

“With the recent changes in the format the Oscars I want to take a moment to express particularly how important production design is to creating a good film. I would have definitely included design in the main body of the awards because design is so vital. It’s one of the most important relationships." - Jane Campion

https://screenrant.com/dune-power-of-the-dog-directors-criticize-oscars/

Glad to see Spielberg coming out publicly against the decision since his word has a lot of sway in the Academy (and he’s a Governor).  He of course has to mention Williams too.

https://deadline.com/2022/03/steven-spielberg-oscars-controversy-statement-reaction-1234972587/

I was going to watch that Will Smith film until I saw it was about women tennis players. And, it's 2:3O hours.

So, does that make me:

1. racist

2. Sexist

3. Longist

4. tennisist

?????

M

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Glad to see Spielberg coming out publicly against this...he holds slot of sway...

Yeah but....

he's a white , Jewish, male.

In other words, he's no Ava Duvernay# 😵

They need to undo this change. If Williams wins a final oscar for Fabelmans or Indy, it better be in front of a full audience of his peers in the industry. 

5 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Big name composers among the signers. Hans Zimmer is conspicuously absent. 

2 minutes ago, eitam said:

They need to undo this change. If Williams wins a final oscar for Fabelmans or Indy, it better be in front of a full audience of his peers in the industry. 

Big name composers among the signers. Hans Zimmer is conspicuously absent. 

He is nominee this year. So maybe he didn't want to ruffle feathers as he might lose votes. Voting hasn't happened yet.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Britell is the only current score nom to sign it

It's between Zimmer and Greenwood. They are both definitely in the race. Britell has no shot. I wonder if Encanto is in the race too. I think not.

47 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It's between Zimmer and Greenwood. They are both definitely in the race. Britell has no shot. I wonder if Encanto is in the race too. I think not.

I told you- it will go to a guy with a ' foreign' name.

It's the OSCARS!😵

Well, it's that time of the year again:

Anonymous Oscar Ballot 2022: Director Isn’t Voting for ‘Overhyped’ ‘The Power of the Dog’

This director is voting for a range of contenders, from "Dune" and "Nightmare Alley" to "Licorice Pizza" and "The Worst Person in the World."

The consensus of critics and pundits is “The Power of the Dog,” but I’m not sure it’s backed up with favorable response from absolutely everyone. It’s very well made. Jane Campion is a great director. I wouldn’t be mad if it won, but I find it difficult to find people who really love it. I admire it, but it left me a little cold.

It's someone who thinks the most popular movie should win. 

It doesn't, because you cut out the first sentence which establishes that they're not talking about what should win.

Later they say that they'll probably vote for Licorice Pizza. Presumably, then, that would be the one they'd say should win if forced to choose. Perhaps they do feel that it's the most popular, but that seems unlikely, and - even if true - they didn't suggest that popularity is the reason they're voting for it...

• 2 weeks later...

I will watch and comment here live, I even dug a coax cable out of the basement to re-attach the HD antennae we haven't used since we reorganized our living room just for this

I think I did a worse job than usual of trying to see the nominated movies before the ceremony this year

I saw

1. Don't Look Up - loved it
  2. Dune - loved it
  3. Nightmare Alley - Really enjoyed it
  4. The Power of the Dog - loved it
  5. Being the Ricardos - it was OK
  6. The Eyes of Tammy Faye - really good
  7. Encanto - meh
  8. Luca - I liked it
  9. The Mitchells Vs The Machines - I really liked it
  10. Coming 2 America - meh
  11. Cruella - I liked it!
  12. Free Guy - it was fine
  13. Spider-man No Way Home - it was enjoyable

I wanted to see, but just never found the time, or it isn't available to stream yet

1. CODA
  2. Licorice Pizza
  3. West Side Story
  4. Tick, Tick... Boom!
  5. The Lost Daughter
  6. The Worst Person in the World
  7. Flee
  8. House of Gucci
  9. Spencer
  10. No Time To Die

I'm currently not really that interested in seeing, so am curious if tonight's ceremony changes my mind

1. Belfast
  2. Drive My Car
  3. King Richard
  4. The Tragedy of Macbeth
  5. Parallel Mothers
  6. Cyrano

Tick, Tick ... Boom and West Side Story are my favorite films of the (last) year. Definitely worth seeing. Andrew Garfield really did a great job in Tick, Tick ... Boom. 
I personally thought No Way Home was semi-good. I can understand the hype about Don't Look Up, but I don't necessarily share it. I think Dune could win a lot, including most likely music of course.... But overall I keep getting annoyed again that I couldn't watch all the films, because there are certainly many gems....

Haven’t watched since 2006 when John Williams was snubbed for MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. 
The Academy Awards are completely irrelevant. 

Go back about 10-15 years and a couple of times I stayed up (probably until around 3-4am ish here) with the day/morning off work, to watch the entire thing. However that was also back when it was actually shown here on a channel I could watch live - either BBC or Sky back when we had that.

I'll no doubt learn about the major winners at some point tomorrow morning. It's just irrelevant now.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:21 PM, eitam said:

It IS in front of a full audience this year. All winners accept their awards in front of a full audience.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Did they change their decision not to televise the music category?

It WILL be televised, only not live to them, but edited into the live telecast. And ALL winners will accept their awards in front of a Full Audience. 

the Oscar show — whether off air or on — will be starting at 4 pm. PT sharp rather than the official 5 p.m. PT start for the ABC broadcast, and he told me that is what it will say on the ticket, so that the nominees can rest assured it will be a full audience in their seats, not seat fillers. There will still be the red carpet show airing live on ABC at the same time as these categories will be pre-recorded and presented, but they are instituting timed arrivals for those stars to avoid the usual crush and will make sure that everyone connected with the nominated films in the eight categories will be inside the Dolby to join in the “celebration” of their nominees.

“It was very important for us to have these nominees, have the full nominee experience, to be in the Dolby Theatre, on the Dolby set, looking out at those enrapt faces. And also, the filmmakers and the studios and the distributors, who have been involved in the films of those nominees, will be there to applaud both, their nominees and their winners,” Rubin says. “(It came together) when the idea came around to assemble everybody an hour early, and to have a number of award presentations in that first hour, where we can have the same environment, the same energy, the same celebration as we do during the live broadcast, and then preserve those awards and interweave them into the live broadcast seamlessly, so that they are all part of a cadence of 23 awards. Because again, our priority is to acknowledge excellence in all areas of movie making. And truthfully, most people, most attendees of the Oscars, love coming early anyway,”

In other words everything is moving up, with the audience at the Dolby in for a four-hour show (at minimum), but the television audience will, with any luck see one that only runs three hours and still includes tastefully edited versions of the previously presented eight categories.”

22 minutes ago, JTW said:

It IS in front of a full audience this year. All winners accept their awards in front of a full audience.

It WILL be televised, only not live to them, but edited into the live telecast. And ALL winners will accept their awards in front of a Full Audience. 

Yes, in front of an audience full of seat-fillers, before the actual industry folk make their way in from the red carpet.

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m glad HZ winning wasn’t broadcast live so I can pretend it never happened.

And they wonder why people don’t care about the Oscars. Hans and his team of ghostwriters winning the Oscar. He said he had already written an hour and a half of “music” for DUNE Part 2 that hasn’t even started filming. What a joke this man is. 

4 minutes ago, KK said:

Yes, in front of an audience full of seat-fillers, before the actual industry folk make their way in from the red carpet.

Did you even read what I posted? It specifically says NO seat fillers.