94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

Too bad Ricky Gervais wasn't the host.

Smith would have gotten a standing ovation for slapping HIM!

So, I guess next year the Best Actor segment will be pre- taped?

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Very akward situation.. Specially with him winning the oscar afterwards. 

He always looks like a friendly easygoing dude, i suppose that all that glitters is not gold. 

Smith filmed a movie across the street from me.

He didn't have bodyguards surrounding him like Tom Cruise.

When school let out some kids came over and he was gracious, friendly and signs autographs and poses for pictures.

Fwiw

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Very akward situation.. Specially with him winning the oscar afterwards. 

He always looks like a friendly easygoing dude, i suppose that all that glitters is not gold. 

I think his harpy wife put him up to it....

" Did you hear what Rock said about me? Are you going to.just sit here, Will? Go.up.there and slap that sucker!"

😜

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Too bad Ricky Gervais wasn't the host.

Smith would have gotten a standing ovation for slapping HIM!

So, I guess next year the Best Actor segment will be pre- taped?

Smith filmed a movie across the street from me.

He didn't have bodyguards surrounding him like Tom Cruise.

When school let out some kids came over and he was gracious, friendly and signs autographs.

Fwiw

That friendlyness could still be facade though.... He could have been having a bad day, for sure, ot his wife's condition be more serious than publicly stated. 

22 minutes ago, badbu said:

Of course it was also a bad move from chris...

I’m sure Chris Rock was just reading the hacky jokes from the teleprompter like every other presenter.  This would likely fall on the show’s writing team.

I didn't stay up to watch this. I never have. Besides, there was no way to watch it for free on television or streaming platforms over here. So peculiar to wake up to all these news.

Norwegians were mostly interested in the two noms for THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD. Sadly, it got none. While DRIVE MY CAR is a fine film, it's nowhere near the Trier film. And the less said about BELFAST (which won the script over WORST PERSON), the better.

I'm very thrilled that Zimmer won for DUNE. It was not only the single score nom I felt was deserved this year, it was also my second favourite score of last year. That it annoys this board's many Zimmer haters is just an added bonus. :)

The Smith/Rock situation was bizarre. I've only seen the brief clips, which -- as alluded to above -- seem to indicate him laughing first, then suddenly turning. If it's real, and I'm going to assume it was, it was very bad behaviour, despite Rock's perhaps tasteless joke. But then I've always found Smith a bit wonky.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, how did Encanto win best animated movie over Flee, that's crazy. 

Encanto isn't even a very good movie. 

You seriously think the awards go to who is actually the best nowadays? 

Most of the awards  go to the nominees who fill out the most diversity and inclusion checkboxes.

I already knew before they read the winners it was going to be Encanto, the deaf sign language actor, the woman director , Will Smith to make up for the unexpected win of Anthony Hopkins over  Chadwick Bosman last year, the latin-X actress for West Side story and Jessica Chastain because her role was somewhat LGBTQ related.

In the clips one can see that smiths wife is not amused, maybe she is sensible on the matter nd almost started crying... That could make a husband to snap. The sad thing is thst rock even apologizes of sorts saying it was not a good joke... And then smith goes up and... 

Gotta feel for "CODA" after Smith stole all the attention away from their win. Although to be fair I had never heard of the film prior to this. 

Smith's acceptance speech (before his apology)... he's clearly gone now, he's left us. Consumed by his sense of "humble" self-importance and duty as a river to the people. 

On 11/02/2022 at 12:52 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

Speaking of overrated films, the one nomination that made me laugh out loud was CODA for Best Picture - a mediocre film that feels like it was designed in a lab and manufactured to precise specifications for crowd-pleasing awards buzz. I've seen people compare it favourably to Sound of Metal, which is ludicrous. Fair play to them, though; they got their nomination. I hope it wins!

Haha...this win is hilarious. That was a pleasant surprise.

7 hours ago, KK said:

[Belfast] Looks like an Irish knockoff of Roma.

If only it were! Might have had something interesting stylistically at least.

One notable merit of the film: Caitriona Balfe's Northern Irish accent is very good!

Let’s hope next year the Best Original Score Oscar will go to an actual Music score. 
No wonder even Zimmer didn’t care to attend and went on tour instead and reacted in his bathrobe. I’m sure he co-wrote the “music” to Dune sitting in the bathtub and even he knows at this point what a hack he is. 
It’s the biggest disgrace since the 2006 snub of Williams’ MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. 
RCP has now two Oscars. 

33 minutes ago, JTW said:

Let’s hope next year the Best Original Score Oscar will go to an actual Music score. 
No wonder even Zimmer didn’t care to attend and went on tour instead and reacted in his bathrobe. I’m sure he co-wrote the “music” to Dune in the bathtub and even he knows at this point what a hack he is. 
It’s the biggest disgrace since 2006 snub of Williams’ MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. 
RCP has now two Oscars. 

It had to be said.

Now Hanz is only going to get more unbearable.

About CODA, I heard it was the new favorite of the bookies and it appears they were right. Because of current troubling times, Hollywood wanted a feel-good movie to win.

14 hours ago, JTW said:

He said he had already written an hour and a half of “music” for DUNE Part 2 that hasn’t even started filming. What a joke this man is.

Yeah, just as much of a joke as Ennio Morricone writing scores for Sergio Leone...:blink:

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Yeah, just as much of a joke as Ennio Morricone writing scores for Sergio Leone...:blink:

???

You didn’t just compare Ennio Morricone, one of the greatest film composers of all time to Hansie Zimmer, producer of “RAAAAAAAAAM!”s, did you?

Chris Rock and Will Smith really gave a bad example that evening.

I think, this gave teachers food for month to discuss with their classes at school topics like respect, disrespect, how to handle conflicts, how not to handle conflicts etc.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Greenwood would have been the more deserving winner (though rather for 'Phantom Thread'), but Hans' & Co. win is not undeserved, so there.

Phantom Thread not winning best score was ridiculous. This year it's fine, Dune is a great score.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm very thrilled that Zimmer won for DUNE. It was not only the single score nom I felt was deserved this year, it was also my second favourite score of last year. That it annoys this board's many Zimmer haters is just an added bonus. :)

There is one of those rare cases again, where I'm completely on your side.:)

27 minutes ago, JTW said:

???

You didn’t just compare Ennio Morricone, one of the greatest film composers of all time to Hansie Zimmer, producer of “RAAAAAAAAAM!”s, did you?

Nope, I just deconstructed your argument of a film composer being "a joke", due to writing music during the respective film's pre-production.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Chris Rock and Will Smith really gave a bad example that evening.

I think, this gave teachers food for month to discuss with their classes at school topics like respect, disrespect, how to handle conflicts, how not to handle conflicts etc.

Exactly. And to think his behavior was even rewarded with an Oscar. 

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The fight should have happend in the backstage during the commercial pause or something, not i front of everyone in the planet watching. 

No. The fight should not have taken place at all.

Smith should either immediately or later have later demanded an appology from Rock.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sat back down and received it much later

Rock was presenting a completely different award

In that case, he should never have received the award. I understand that what was said, was said in jest, and with no malice intended toward Mrs. Smith.

That behaviour, in public, and with millions of people watching a cross the world, is absolutely inexcusable.

This year's Oscars will be known as the "Will Smith slapping Chris Rock" Oscars, much like the 2017 ceremony is only remembered for the disaster involving La La Land and Moonlight.

Just now, Edmilson said:

This year's Oscars will be known as the "Will Smith slapping Chris Rock" Oscars, much like the 2017 ceremony is only remembered for the disaster involving La La Land and Moonlight.

The year Moonlight was incorrectly chosen as best picture winner