94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

1 minute ago, Positivatee said:

Mmmmmm. Old man disgraced sex offender, blowing zen kisses to internet. I feel tingly inside. 

Please don't tell me you didn't get the meaning of this gif. 

Literally no point in him returning the Oscar

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Hans Zimmer is now the composer with the longest gap between wins, 27 years since The Lion King

Henry Mancini held the previous record of 21 years between Breakfast at Tiffany's and Victor/Victoria 

Which means if John Williams wins a sixth Oscar he'd have that record.

19 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Hans Zimmer is now the composer with the longest gap between wins, 27 years since The Lion King

Henry Mancini held the previous record of 21 years between Breakfast at Tiffany's and Victor/Victoria 

Interesting record... I'd call it a negative record, since Williams should have won in 2002, 2003 and 2006.

53 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

While a step in the right direction, it seems a little late and odd, considering he partied all night and it took him all day to realize what he did. This however isn't enough. What happened, happened. He needs to take responsibility for his actions.
An apology is NOT taking responsibility. The Academy Awards should ban him from the ceremony, and should revoke his Oscar for becoming unworthy of it by his disgraceful actions last night.
PS: He apologized only because the public turned on him and he got scared that he might be cancelled (which is already happening). It wasn't heartfelt, it was forced. He didn't mean it at all. Just look at him dancing at the after party like he is the king of the world (or fresh prince). The guy's mentally ill. 

What he did last night, watched by millions of people, is sending a terrible message to the world, that physical assault is tolerated if you're rich and famous, you can get away with it, and even get a trophy with a standing ovation. I mean Steven Spielberg was there, for heaven's sake. What are these people like? Do they condone this kind of behavior in Hollywood without any consequences whatsoever? Appalling. 

9 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

If he returned the award (not just the damn statuette but the award itself), it would be the most meaningful Oscar act since Brando refused to accept his.  

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

If he returned the award (not just the damn statuette but the award itself), it would be the most meaningful Oscar act since Brando refused to accept his.  

And it would restore the reputation of the Academy Awards and the Hollywood elite. And could maybe, just maybe help restore people's faith in Smith. Right now he's more hated than Johnny Depp ever has been.

"At least a dozen members of the Academy met virtually on Monday morning to discuss a response to Smith slapping Rock, according to two sources with knowledge of the meeting.
The meeting was described as "heated" and "divided." There was no agreement on further action, according to the sources.
The dozen members who met on their own volition and are being described as influential and recognizable members of the Academy, including actors and directors. The group does not have any disciplinary power, but they are considered high profile enough that the Board of Governor's for the Academy could be influenced in any response they may have."

- CNN.com

I'm sorry, but I think I've seen more mockery about the whole incident than full on condemnation (even if people are inclined to think Smith seriously screwed up). If anything, there's more discussion about the memes it's brought than any consideration over the ramifications of his actions. I'm sure we'll get a clearer picture over the following days, but to say he's widely hated now is a bit of a stretch. It'd be a different discussion if it was another actor on a lower wavelength than Rock.

Also, bringing up a very likely abuse victim in Johnny Depp for your comparison of an actor being despised and actually calling Smith "mentally ill" is not a good look, dude.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Far worse than smacking someone in the face at the Academy Awards watched by entire Hollywood and millions of people, including children worldwide? I don't think so. 

Oh please. Will Smith will be fine. Chris Rock will be fine. Both men know where they screwed up and have probably made up behind the scenes. Things that shouldn't have been said were said, and Smith reacted emotionally. And he was wrong to do so. But people screw up, and he's admitted as much. This is not a pattern. And I certainly don't think that warrants recalling his Oscar, nor does it discredit the work that him and the rest of the crew have down on that film (I haven't watched it, but it looks tailor made for his dramatic instincts). 

The media will ramble on and project larger messages/"hot takes" onto this incident for a week and and then move on to next news cycle. And then it'll become a historical footnote like the Adrien Brody kiss.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Also, bringing up a very likely abuse victim in Johnny Depp for your comparison of an actor being despised and actually calling Smith "mentally ill" is not a good look, dude.

Indeed. Some of these vitriolic reactions are more troubling than the incident itself in my opinion. It exposes how little people understand or how lightly people take both real physical and mental abuse.

A different industry altogether, but I reckon if Chris Brown can still do stuff after he committed an actual full on assault on a public persona, then Smith will have even less going against him for something Rock doesn't seem too bothered over.

Look, I've been a Will Smith fan since I was young. He was part of my childhood thanks to stuff like MIB 1 and 2 and Fresh Prince (which is known here as "Um Maluco no Pedaço"). I really admired his charisma and on-screen persona, even when his movies weren't all great, like with Hancock.

So even though he made some questionable choices during the last decade (After Earth, Suicide Squad), I was really hoping for his victory last night. It would be like a coronation for a wonderful career as an entertainer of people of all races and ethnicities. 

However, he pretty much blew it with the slap. And the worst part is that he could've come out on top last night. All he needed to do was to wait for the thanking speech to explain his wife's conditions, raise awareness for the disease, and this would utterly Destroy Chris Rock. He'd end the night as the insensible prick who made fun of an ill woman. 

4 hours ago, JTW said:

Far worse than smacking someone in the face at the Academy Awards watched by entire Hollywood and millions of people, including children worldwide? I don't think so. 

Just off the top of my head.  These are all people who have gone on to continued careers despite well documented abuses and/or assaults.  I’m not including any of the more “controversial” ones I thought of, although fuck Johnny Depp anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

https://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/11/17/mel.gibson.dispute/index.html

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/08/disgraced-comedian-louis-ck-is-going-on-a-comeback-tour/amp
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sean-penns-horrifying-history-of-alleged-abuse

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/mark-wahlberg-racist-hate-crimes-wikipedia-history-george-floyd-blm-protests-a9554191.html?amp
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/timeline-of-chris-browns-history-of-violence-towards-women-103402/

https://people.com/tv/alec-baldwin-history-arrests-paparazzi/?amp=true
https://amp.www.complex.com/pop-culture/2017/11/christian-slater-does-not-regret-past-arrests-for-abuse-sexual-harassment

https://people.com/movies/josh-brolin-addresses-2004-diane-lane-domestic-abuse-arrest-no-explaining/?amp=true

https://www.okayplayer.com/news/dee-barnes-dr-dre-attack-erased-from-straight-outta-compton.html

Weinstein and Spacey might be the only celebrities who have been “canceled” where it actually stuck - although I’m certain Spacey is just biding his time for a comeback.   For most, cancellation is a brief vacation or the #metoo just passes them by in the wind.

The Celebs are already choosing both sides in the Will Smith/Chris Rock thing, and as you can see by the apology, the PR spin has already begun and the media knows where their bread is buttered (or at least knows what garners hits) so they print it.

Oscars Audience Grows 56 Percent in Early Ratings and Is Still the Show’s Second Worst of All Time

The slap was the best thing that happened for the Academy. Thanks to that disaster the Oscars are relevant again, people all over the world are discussing It, even those that don't follow the movie world frequently.

Apparently Jada is 'polyamorous' or whatever the current label for that is. So Smith is cool with other dudes banging his wife, but not with them making jokes about her. 

Ahh, Hollywood :blink: . 

EDIT : Apparently BOTH of them fuck around with the blessing of the other. So, 2 attractive and hugely successful people aren't enough for each other. 

Again I say ... ahh, Hollywood. 

Look, don't get me wrong. Smith made a horrible decising by slapping Rock and he should be punished for it in some way. But taking his oscar is not the way to go.

His performance for which he won has nothing to do with the way he acted during the ceremony.

I think they should suspend or ban him from the academy and maybe something else so that he can't film anything for a year or maybe two.

Violence is in no way the proper solution for anything and clearly there is more going on with Smith then we all know. I think it would be good for him to do an interview with maybe Oprah, Robin Roberts or someone in that caliber to have a long conversation of where this was coming from. Because he did this publicly before the eyes of millions of people, he now has to explain it publicly and will have to maybe talk about his private life more.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

We know he will :yes:

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

People are definitely going to watch the next Oscar show. Will Chris Rock take revenge?

He might do it, by proxy:

"Oh, don't worry, Mr. Smith, I could shlap you from Stuttgart, und shtill create zhe proper effect".

12 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I'm sorry, but I think I've seen more mockery about the whole incident than full on condemnation (even if people are inclined to think Smith seriously screwed up). If anything, there's more discussion about the memes it's brought than any consideration over the ramifications of his actions. I'm sure we'll get a clearer picture over the following days, but to say he's widely hated now is a bit of a stretch. It'd be a different discussion if it was another actor on a lower wavelength than Rock.

I brought up Johnny Depp to illustrate what being cancelled means for a such a universally appreciated actor like Smith. It has unfortunately happened before to Depp, and it is happening to WS. You trying to twist my words is not a good look on you, "dude".

12 hours ago, HunterTech said:

A different industry altogether, but I reckon if Chris Brown can still do stuff after he committed an actual full on assault on a public persona, then Smith will have even less going against him for something Rock doesn't seem too bothered over.

It's indeed a very different situation. Smith is a much bigger star. He did what he did in front of the entire movie industry, and what's worse, in front of millions of viewers watching around the world. He disrespected and disgraced the Academy Awards. He assaulted and humiliated another man, then yelled cursing like he was in the ghetto in front of the greatest living filmmakers and children watching worldwide, at a show that was first produced by an all-black production team. And a black man smacks another black man on stage. That sends a very bad message across America and around the world. And just because Rock didn't press charges, don't think for a second that he wasn't bothered by it. Wouldn't you be? Be honest. I know I would. Will Smith should be banned from the ceremony and his Oscar revoked, because of his actions made him unworthy of the award. He's supposed to be a role model, that takes responsibility. 

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Oscars Audience Grows 56 Percent in Early Ratings and Is Still the Show’s Second Worst of All Time

The slap was the best thing that happened for the Academy. Thanks to that disaster the Oscars are relevant again, people all over the world are discussing It, even those that don't follow the movie world frequently.

The Oscars have been degraged to the level of a reality show. I don't think that's worth the second worst ratings of all time. 

6 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Look, don't get me wrong. Smith made a horrible decising by slapping Rock and he should be punished for it in some way. But taking his oscar is not the way to go.

His performance for which he won has nothing to do with the way he acted during the ceremony.

I think they should suspend or ban him from the academy and maybe something else so that he can't film anything for a year or maybe two.

I was actually rooting for him to win. He is great in KING RICHARD. But what he did was absolutely bat shit crazy. And he comfortably sat back in his chair and enjoyed the rest of the evening like nothing happened, and less than an hour later he went up on stage and accepted his award like he didn’t just slap someone on live television minutes before. This is absurd. These kinds of actions must have consequences, and if he had done it anywhere else, I would agree with you. But he did it at the Academy Awards, on stage, on the live telecast. The amount of disrespect he had for his fellow nominees and winners, and everyone sitting in that theatre, celebrating their industry, and his fans watching at home, is what makes this situation much worse. And because of that I believe that his award should be revoked, because he as a person, as a member of the Academy was acting in a way that disrespected the award. That has nothing to do with his performance, but still, Will Smith was awarded last night on stage, and Will Smith punched a man on stage, and minutes later he got an award and he partied all night like nothing happened.

And he only issued an apology after the Academy had issued a statement that they were going to review Smith. So he got scared that he was going to be cancelled and he might be banned from the ceremony and his Oscar might be revoked. He's showing remorse out of fear of losing his status, not because he truly regrets what he did. And that really shows his character, his morals, or the lack thereof.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

...and maybe something else so that he can't film anything for a year or maybe two.

That seems way out of proportion. And also, quite righly, outside the Academy's authority.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

But taking his oscar is not the way to go.

It's a very natural and reasonable way to go! The point is not that his performance has nothing to do with his actions at the ceremony; it's that his actions at the ceremony have everything to do with his being nominated for the award.

Maybe if they'd been able to act more quickly they could have had him sent out (as a footballer would have been for assaulting someone on the pitch) and thus suffered the penalty of being unable to accept his award in person. But they missed the boat on that one.

There are really only things the academy has the authority to do, I think: revoke his Oscar, and/or not invite him to any future ceremonies.

The former is pretty drastic symbolically, but I'm not personally 100% if that's the way to go. However, he carried out physical violence on national TV - that cannot go unpunished.

6 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Zimmer addresses his Oscar win.

The “f.cking Oscars”? Really, Hans? Then you might as well just give it to another, more worthy composer to whom I’m sure it means much more than that. 

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

Zimmer makes perfectly valid points. Kudos to him for saying it like it is.

He just won an award from that “f.cking Oscars”. An award that literally every film composer is longing for. 

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This man is becoming absolutely insufferable. It's getting to the point where I can no longer look at a picture of him, let alone listen to what he has to say.

Or listen to anything he “composes”. 

23 minutes ago, JTW said:

He just won an award from that “f.cking Oscars”. An award that literally every film composer is longing for. 

So? I think winning the Oscar allows for a perfect platform to comment on the disaster of an Oscar show that this was. Including, mind you, the decision to pre-tape the score category.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

So? I think winning the Oscar allows for a perfect platform to comment on the disaster of an Oscar show that this was. Including, mind you, the decision to pre-tape the score category.

Zimmer clearly couldn’t care less about the Oscars. He wouldn’t have attended regardless of the new rules. But talking about the Academy  like that after having received an award from them is unprofessional, to put it mildly. If he doesn’t have any respect for it, he doesn’t deserve the award. Can you imagine John Williams calling it “f.cking Oscars” at one of his concerts, especially after winning an award? A gentleman would never talk like that in public, even if he thinks that.

12 minutes ago, JTW said:

A gentleman would never talk like that in public, even if he thinks that.

Again you seem to delude yourself into thinking the entertainment industry, home to millions of flim flam men, professional liars, narcissists, thieves and god knows what else, should adhere to the standards of UNO or something.

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Violence is in no way the proper solution for anything and clearly there is more going on with Smith then we all know. I think it would be good for him to do an interview with maybe Oprah, Robin Roberts or someone in that caliber to have a long conversation of where this was coming from. 

Let's just be thankful it happened at the Oscars, not in the war room...;)

image.png

25 minutes ago, JTW said:

Zimmer clearly couldn’t care less about the Oscars. He wouldn’t have attended regardless of the new rules. But talking about the Academy  like that after having received an award from them is unprofessional, to put it mildly. If he doesn’t have any respect for it, he doesn’t deserve the award. Can you imagine John Williams calling it “f.cking Oscars” at one of his concerts, especially after winning an award? A gentleman would never talk like that in public, even if he thinks that.

I see no reason to act all courteous and politically correct and - to be blunt - "wimpy" when the Oscars had so many issues it had this year. The bitchslap, the limp scheduling with many technical categories weeded out, the irritating in memoriam section, the hilariously bad category winners (CODA as the best film winner, really? A decent TV documentary, but with no cinematic ambitions, and barely any theatrical distribution. The uglylooking, static feelgood drama of BELFAST as script winner? Incredible). Etc. etc.

It's far more refreshing to have Zimmer comment honestly on the show and proceedings; total respect for that. There's a time to walk carefully, and there's a time to tell it like it is. Regardless if you win or not.

7 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Will Smith is also kind of very close to Scientology. Quite a cranky guy

He is?? That's almost worse in my mind than the slap heard 'round the world. jk, but kinda not really. How that batshit crazy religion ever got into the heads of so much of Hollywood, I'll never understand.

As for all this talk about stripping him of his Oscar, it's stupid too. He earned that award with his work. People want to punish him? Get the LAPD involved. It'd be more damning if Smith were charged with a crime, like us ordinary unwashed masses would be. (If it were an Oscars producer who did that, we all know the guy would have been arrested on the spot.) Mind you, that would mean Rock would have to press charges, which he won't.

I believe the scientology rumour has been debunked several times by the Smiths. I was tempted to blame the incident on that too, but appears it's not true. Will Smith is a baptist. The only thing to blame here is a total mental breakdown.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Will Smith is a baptist.

not even clear

image.png

https://www.vulture.com/2013/05/will-and-jaden-smith-on-working-together.html (The whole interview is totally weird.)

About Scientology 

There are many positive statements about Scientology from Will Smith. His wife and he are close friends of the avowed Scientologist Tom Cruise. Smith denies being affiliated with the Church of Scientology, but said, "I just think a lot of the ideas behind Scientology are great, revolutionary and not religious." After Jada worked with Cruise on the 2004 film Collateral, the couple donated $20,000 to Scientology's education campaign called "HELP, The Hollywood Education and Literacy Program," which is the basis of Scientology's homeschooling system. In May 2008, Smith opened a school that employed six Scientologists as teachers and taught, among other things, using the "Study Tech" learning model developed by L. Ron Hubbard. The school has since been closed.

In September 2008, Smith distanced himself from Scientology, and he also met with activists of the protest movement "Anonymous". He also refuted the rumor that the teachings of Scientology were being taught at the private school founded by him and his wife Jada. At the end of 2008, he made another donation of $122,500 to Scientology, but once again expressed that he was not a member of the Church of Scientology. In addition to several Scientology organizations, Smith also donated to Christian, Muslim and Jewish organizations, totaling $1.3 million. In 2013, he and his son starred in the film After Earth, which is considered a vehicle for spreading Scientology messages.

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's far more refreshing to have Zimmer comment honestly on the show and proceedings; total respect for that.

It would be more impressive if he'd rejected the award too.

37 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

People want to punish him?

I don't. I'd like to see the Academy demonstrate that the custom of not hitting people during the event is mandatory, not optional.

49 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

He earned that award with his work.

No he didn't. Oscars aren't earned.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Can you imagine John Williams calling it “f.cking Oscars” at one of his concerts, especially after winning an award? A gentleman would never talk like that in public, even if he thinks that.

C'mon, John Williams would never win an Oscar.

3 hours ago, JTW said:

He's just disappointed he didn't get the Oscar for sound design.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Again you seem to delude yourself into thinking the entertainment industry, home to millions of flim flam men, professional liars, narcissists, thieves and god knows what else, should adhere to the standards of UNO or something.

Let's just be thankful it happened at the Oscars, not in the war room...;)

image.png

And you seem to delude yourself into thinking that I care one bit about your opinion.

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

And you seem to delude yourself into thinking that I care one bit about your opinion.

You are on a discussion forum, offering often a bit childlike positions on everything from world matters to film composers. Deal with the occasional backlash, dear. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I see no reason to act all courteous and politically correct and - to be blunt - "wimpy" when the Oscars had so many issues it had this year. The bitchslap, the limp scheduling with many technical categories weeded out, the irritating in memoriam section, the hilariously bad category winners (CODA as the best film winner, really? A decent TV documentary, but with no cinematic ambitions, and barely any theatrical distribution. The uglylooking, static feelgood drama of BELFAST as script winner? Incredible). Etc. etc.

It's far more refreshing to have Zimmer comment honestly on the show and proceedings; total respect for that. There's a time to walk carefully, and there's a time to tell it like it is. Regardless if you win or not.

I agree with his assessment, it's the way he interpreted it is what I disagree with. And with the fact that the show of the organization he just won an award of, he talked the way he did using profanity. It's very ungentlemanlike and kind of disrespectful to the Academy Awards, the awards of which he happily accepted. 

Just now, publicist said:

You are on a discussion forum, offering often a bit childlike positions on everything from world matters to film composers. Deal with the occasional backlash, dear. 

Again, I'm not interested in your opinion, so please stop addressing me, because this is the last time I'm replying, thanks.

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

He is?? That's almost worse in my mind than the slap heard 'round the world. jk, but kinda not really. How that batshit crazy religion ever got into the heads of so much of Hollywood, I'll never understand.

As for all this talk about stripping him of his Oscar, it's stupid too. He earned that award with his work. People want to punish him? Get the LAPD involved. It'd be more damning if Smith were charged with a crime, like us ordinary unwashed masses would be. (If it were an Oscars producer who did that, we all know the guy would have been arrested on the spot.) Mind you, that would mean Rock would have to press charges, which he won't.

You see, he is a movie star. To many alas he is a role model. What he says and does people follow. If they see that he goes around slapping people he disagrees with and gets away with it without any repercussions, they will think that's something they can do, too. That's why allowing this kind of behavior is so dangerous. 

23 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wasnt zimmer so disinterested in the oscars that he didnt send his scores for consideration for years? Then a few years ago he started to allow the studios send his scores again... Why? 

That's just what he said when he didn't win. ;)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's just what he said when he didn't win. ;)

Now he's so full of himself he craps on the Oscars even after he won.  

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I love his (and Powell's) frankness and direct language - just rubs me the wrong way a bit with him saying it after he wins and gets to enjoy whatever perks will result. Trashing the establishment who gave you an award isn't the best look.

If he cared as little about the actual Oscar as he seems to convey, he wouldn't allow his scores to be submitted in the first place.

I don't think it has to do with not caring about getting an Oscar -- it seemed to me to be more about all the shenanigans surrounding this particular Oscar event, which aptly deserved a 'fuck'. Zimmer has been very grateful for his Oscar win for LION KING in the past.

I belong to those who love frank speech within Hollywood. There's too much ass-kissing going around. I still fondly remember the legendary Daniel Schweiger interview with Horner from some 10-15 years ago, wherein Horner laid it into Malick and other things he disagreed with in the industry; even if it's the very industry that has nurtured him. Of course, he was way off in his description of Malick (being very Hollywood-centric, he didn't grasp Malick's alternative way of storytelling, instead saying THE NEW WORLD "could have been a great Romeo & Juliet story' or some such nonsense), but I absolutely loved the whole attitude. We need more voices like that, especially from within the Hollywood industry itself.