Favorite Beatles album?

Ricard

Favorite album by The Beatles  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Beatles album?

• Please Please Me (1963)
    • With the Beatles (1963)
    • A Hard Day's Night (1964)
    • Beatles for Sale (1964)
    • Help! (1965)
    • Rubber Soul (1965)
    • Revolver (1966)
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
    • Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
    • The Beatles (1968)
    • Yellow Submarine (1969)
    • Abbey Road (1969)
    • Let It Be (1970)
    • Other (specify)

I think this deserves its own thread. 

The list includes the official Beatles UK albums plus MMT (only released as an LP in the US). If your favorite album is a US-only release, live album, compilation etc. (such as 'A Collection of Beatles Oldies', '1962-1966', '1967-1970', 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl', 'Past Masters', BBC, 'Anthology 1, 2, 3'..., '1', 'Let It Be... Naked'...) you may choose 'Other'.

Here's my pick:

s823103903333318396_p7448_i1_w850.jpeg

Never been a big Beatles fan, but my dad gave me a couple of LPs to copy to cassette as a kid -- the blue and red album (I believe they were 'best ofs'). So it would have to be those.

I know, love, and appreciate every one of them for different reasons but Abbey Road is the sentimental favorite being the true chronological finale, makes me the most emotional. I have nothing original to say about the medley but it's just a beautiful dramatic conclusion to the album and the band, I put it right up there with E.T.

I haven't heard the proper albums before Revolver so only the last half are in play for me. Abbey Road is a strong contender but fuck it, it's The Beatles for me too. Raw, messy, long, but it's just so... them. It feels the least produced and the most natural, an uncensored glimpse of them just shooting the shit in the studio.

I'm a big Beatles fan and Sgt. Pepper is my favourite album. Literally every song in it is great, in large part due to the imaginative and immediately recognizable arrangements (mostly done by George Martin, who was as relevant as any of the Fab Four to their success). 

I’ll be another contrarian. I love the entire Beatles canon, and have obsessed about just about every album. (My latest kick has been Let It Be... Naked and McCartney’s Ram.) But my very favorite albums are their early albums, specifically the U.S. albums. I like the assembly of these albums; the flow from song to song works really well. Also by listening to them you get more songs without having to resort to singles. My absolute favorites:

#1 is The Early Beatles. A really fun and romantic album. “Ask Me Why” and “P.S. I Love You” are two of my favorite Beatles songs. The epitome of youthful love songs.

#2 is Meet the Beatles!. Another delightful one. “All I’ve Got to Do,” and “Till There Was You / Hold Me Tight” are just true delights.

#3 is A Hard Day’s Night. The perfect album to put on in the car or playing a board game with company. “And I Love Her” is my favorite from this album, but not a single song that falls flat; they all please, and everyone sings along. Nicely balanced with four delightful George Martin orchestral arrangements from the film — you can’t get them on the U.K. album!

I love the early Beatles and the late Pink Floyd, I'm like that!

So... A Hard Day's Night... and moreover the US version with the instrumental jazzy cues!

I chose A Hard Days Night because for me it is the most consistent album. All albums have great songs, but listening to them is a permanent up and down. Not so A Hard Days Night. For me it only contains great songs.

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Never been a big Beatles fan, but my dad gave me a couple of LPs to copy to cassette as a kid -- the blue and red album (I believe they were 'best ofs'). So it would have to be those.

I went with Revolver as that's my standard answer but really it's very hard to choose and it changes daily. 

I've got all the albums on vinyl along with Red, Blue, Past Masters, the BBC stuff, Love, the Anthologies on vinyl too and there's just too much good stuff for one band. 

I've never really bothered with the US releases because the band was less involved with all that stuff I think. I'd prefer to have the mono releases too as that's what the band signed off on but I've only got so much money! 

I love the poppy early stuff but I guess the weird mid period Rubber Soul to Magical Mystery Tour era is my favourite. So much genius in there. I'd include Yellow Submarine in there too. It probably won't get much love on here but some of the stuff like Hey Bulldog and It's All Too Much are brilliant. 

I love The Beatles. Greatest band of all time. Nothing else comes close. 

20 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I love Paul on the Anthology responding to George Martin's criticism that The White Album was too long and indulgent

if The White album was just a single disc of the best songs it would be their best album. 

15 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

if The White album was just a single disc of the best songs it would be their best album. 

Possibly but it's just irrelevant since the weird magic of that album and The Beatles altogether is that the whole somehow manages to be even greater than the sum of its greatest parts.

Like I don't even know what that album is without the bullshit - and people have different definitions of what the bullshit is, anyway, and the great songs - but it definitely wouldn't be The White Album anymore.

Much as I do love some of the others (I also gravitate towards MMT and AR a lot), Sgt. Pepper is the only real option for me currently. Really easy to get wrapped into listening to the full thing, and I just admire the general atmosphere and style of it.

Sgt Pepper has both what I and obviously many others think is their greatest song and completely blew my mind setting me on the road to being a superfan (A Day in the Life) and also what I usually say is my own personal favorite, the song that has been the most addictive for me over the years (Lovely Rita)