Battle of Goldsmiths: The Omen vs Poltergeist

Edmilson

Horror scores by JG  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What score do you prefer?

2. 2. And what about the sequels?

• Damien: The Omen II
    • Poltergeist II: The Other Side

Two of the most beloved horror scores by Jerry. But which one do you prefer? The evil choir of The Omen or the suburban horror of Poltergeist? Choose now!

For the first question, THE OMEN. No question. I know it's sacrilege to say so, but I've never cared for the POLTERGEIST score.

For the second, I don't really care either way. Not a big fan of either. But I voted OMEN II because I had to pick something.

The Poltergeist scores have the big advantage that they are in better movies. I never really got the point of the Omen movies in which way they should be terrifying. Therefore, probably I should have voted for Omen because scores are really trying hard to make the screen action seem somehow terrifiying. But they fail.

And I prefer to listen to the Poltergeist scores. Even though first Omen score is much better than second Poltergeist score.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

...the first Omen score is much better than second Poltergeist score.

Being shot in the balls is better than listening to POLTERGEIST II.

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I never really got the point of the Omen movies in which way they should be terrifying.

The initial idea for the Omen quadrilogy (there were meant to be four of them) , was from a group of evangelical Christians, as a response to a lot of "apocalyptic" literature, at the time (Hal Lindsey's THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH, etc.).

It's attempt to be terrifying lies in the premise that what's happening on screen, is plausible - it could happen. All credit to the cast, crew, and especially Richard Donner, for taking it all seriously, and adding the chill factor to what could have been a very silly story.

I think the first Omen is a good movie. It is my kind of horror film, with its slow pace and lots of atmosphere (thanks to Donner and Director of Photography Gilbert Taylor shooting it in a "realistic" way  and Goldsmith's score) and tension rising till its tragic end. It also makes us care about the main couple. The score is the perfect horror score for me, specially due to its creepy suspense pieces using high strings and pianos (something that the sequels lacked). I also love the family theme.

Poltergeist is other kind of horror I also love. Very fun but still effective in its scares.

The score is one of my all time favorites from Goldsmith for its intense/ferocious action music. Therefore, even The Omen being incredibly effective, I chose Poltergeist that I listen much more frequently than the Omen.

As for the sequels:

Omen II is a much more fun score than the first, but also much less effective/creepy (waiting for a modern remaster of the original tracks fixing a bit the damaged tracks from the Varese release).

Poltergeist II, the score, is far from being the classic that the first is - the electronics on this one are a bit too distracting - but I like the new themes (so many themes in this score) and also listen to this score more than Omen II - so I pick Poltergeist II.

But I'm sure that, no matter how good a Goldsmith's Poltergeist III score could have been The Final Conflict would have won as the better score.

Tough one for the first question, because both are landmark Goldsmith scores, and both very much make their respective film. Omen in particular is noteworthy because the score very effectively hints at something that gives me the impression that this is a really gripping story and makes me want to watch the film, only to be disappointed every time because it's really not that good, neither the script nor what the film does with it. You could convincingly argue that it should win because of that.

I still gave voted Poltergeist in the end, for two reasons. It seems to be a better listen, and it works very well in complete form, whereas The Omen may actually work better in its original album - the full score a bit top heavy in its narrative progression from endlessly saccharine music of the first half to the non-stop terror of the second half. The album basically destroys that compositional progression, but may just be more digestible. Secondly (and that may be just because Poltergeist is arguably the better made film), it works wonders in the film, and in fact I feel that the film is best enjoyed (as a sort of faux opera) by focusing entirely on the score and treating the dialogue and sfx as secondary element. How Goldsmith matches the film, narratively, without sacrificing musicality, is probably among his greatest achievements.

The second question is easy. Damien is an excellent score, almost on the same level as the first (and much more characteristically its own thing than its reputation suggests), while I never much cared for Poltergeist II.

53 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I like enjoying two things at the same time, strangely enough. 

You listen to The Omen and Poltergeist simultaneously?

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I like enjoying two things at the same time, strangely enough. 

Get outta here!

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The Poltergeist scores have the big advantage that they are in better movies. I never really got the point of the Omen movies in which way they should be terrifying. Therefore, probably I should have voted for Omen because scores are really trying hard to make the screen action seem somehow terrifiying. But they fail.

And I prefer to listen to the Poltergeist scores. Even though first Omen score is much better than second Poltergeist score.

Could you share a few highlights of the Poltergeist scores? It's been a long time since I checked them out.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could you share a few highlights of the Poltergeist scores? It's been a long time since I checked them out.

On Poltergeist, I prefer the C&C presentation and I like all tracks.

But some highlights are "Night Visitor" and all the music for the finale of the film "Lets Get Her/Rebirth" (the Rebirth part reminding a bit his music for Star Trek), "Night Of The Beast" (album version of this track cuts all the quiet bits and makes for an incredible intense track) and "Escape From Suburbia" (which includes the dies irae).

On Poltergeist II some highlights are "The Power" (main titles introducing the new themes for Taylor and for the power), "Late Call" (with the theme for the grandmother), "Its No Use" (choral theme for Kane and good brief action music in the end for the escape from the house), "The Worm" (last part of this track - without chorus version) and "Reaching Out" (music for the finale).

19 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I like the opening of Poltergeist II a lot.

The combination of synth and orchestra are great here. Reminds me a little bit of "Legend":

For the first Poltergeist, I really enjoy the the whole album in one go.

I like these skeaping door noises in the music in combination with the orchestra and lullaby main theme anyway.

The Omen won the Oscar, no way Poltergeist was ever going to win against E.T. but it is a powerful epic score.

For the original 2 scores, I love them both but prefer Poltergeist, it's one of my favorite Jerrys

For the sequel scores, both are good but I prefer Damien.  I haven't listened to Poltergeist 2 that many times for some reason.  I should change that.