The Box Office thread

Jay

@JoeinAR used to make one of these every year, any interesting in discussion box office results this year Joe?

A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella Reignite the Box Office

Weekend: May 28-30

Those figures seem so sad but since we are just coming out of pandemic mode it is an excellent figure. 

With a always adapting film release schedule its hard to predict the boxoffice. Polls show prospective audiences wanted to see a Quiet Place II in the theatre while the same poll showed audiences prefer to see Cruella at home. The poll shows more or less that audiences will return for event movies like Black Widow and Top Gun. I plan to start going at least every other week this summer. 

I think Black Widow will be the first $100 Milion + opening weekend since Rise of Skywalker in December 2019

Actually no, F9 opens first, nevermind.  That'll be it

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Actually no, F9 opens first, nevermind.  That'll be it

The only F&F movie that opened above $100m was the seventh. The eighth opened with $96m, I believe. And considering not only the pandemic but also that the hype for this movie isn't really great (it had a poor reception with audiences on China), I don't think this will open to $100m.

But I'd love to be proven wrong though.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The only F&F movie that opened above $100m was the seventh. The eighth opened with $96m, I believe. And considering not only the pandemic but also that the hype for this movie isn't really great (it had a poor reception with audiences on China), I don't think this will open to $100m.

But I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I won't use Chinese audiences as a bench mark. Remember two years ago they had a movie about earth blasted in space. It was garbage yet it made nearly 900mil. Plus China is experiencing another covid wave.

i think we will see progressively  improving numbers the deeper we get in the year.  It may take till 2022 before the boxoffice returns to "Normal". I suspect a post pandemic world will welcome Spiderman and Jake Sully over the next two Christmas is extraordinary fashion.

Jay you got me to look up Box office mojo for the first time in over a year.  

My husband and I are both fully vaccinated and anxious to get out to movies and restaurants, symphonies, and less than 100 days to football.  Movies are a celebration of life.

Nice!

I haven't seen a film in the theater since Rise of Skywalker in 2019, I hope to return to theaters soon to see Black Widow!

Tenet nearly destroyed my faith in films. 

I went 4 times in 2021, like a boss, The Invisible Man, Tenet, and Freaky. 

A Quiet Place II  was a nice start to 2021. 

13 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I went 4 times in 2021, like a boss, The Invisible Man, Tenet, and Freaky. 

You mean 2020?

Yeah. I hope to go many more times in 2021 than 4

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

TENET might be the only film ever released that was worse in the theater than at home.

I can't even imagine the horror of seeing that in IMAX!😝

Having seen it both in IMAX and theater, I can say that it was worst in theater. At least in IMAX the image is larger, the color are better but in either case the sound was awful and the movie annoying

On 6/6/2021 at 10:56 AM, bruce marshall said:

Don't know what Nolan was trying to do with this one

He was making  an unofficial James Bond movie.

Hope this helps,

AC1

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

He was making  an unofficial James Bond movie.

Hope this helps,

AC1

He failed. Even the worst Bond films were entertaining on some level. Tenet made me walk out of the theatre thinking someone wrote that down. Worst of all someone financed it.

I'm in Australia, so obviously a different situation, but I've seen quite a few movies in cinemas this year. Pandemic made me appreciate moviegoing a whole lot. 

- The Happiest Season

- Mortal Kombat

- A Quiet Place Pt II

- Nomadland

Saw that In the Heights is not making much money, which is a shame. Was rooting for it

16 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

He failed. 

Maybe, but then again, you are someone who thinks Nolan always fails, so I'm not sure how much your opinion is worth, Joe. Maybe you're a little bit biased?

;)

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Maybe, but then again, you are someone who thinks Nolan always fails, so I'm not sure how much your opinion is worth, Joe. Maybe you're a little bit biased?

;)

But you forget that I loved the Dark Knight and liked the 3rd film. I loved Dunkirk. Tenet was just bad.

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

-I can't think of a director who made two consecutive films that varied so greatly in quality:

DUNKIRK - masterpiece

TENET- stinker

Well there's David Ayer (Fury then Suicide Squad), Tom Hooper (The Danish Girl and then Cats), Paul Verhoeven (Basic Instinct then Showgirls) or Tim Burton (Sleepy Hollow then Planet of the Apes)

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Sleepy and Instinct and Fury are " masterpiece"?!

Basic Instinct and Sleepy Hollow are I think masterpiece (but that's just my opinion of course) but the difference of quality between those films and the next one is as big as the difference between Dunkirk and Tenet IMO

16 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

-I can't think of a director who made two consecutive films that varied so greatly in quality:

DUNKIRK - masterpiece

TENET- stinker

Spielberg had 1941  wedged between Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Either way you look at it I think that would apply. 

• 2 weeks later...

‘Black Widow’ Projected To Debut With $90M In Theaters

While the film is still weeks away, the social media embargo for the Marvel film has already been lifted, and long-range tracking from Box Office Pro predicts the Scarlett Johansson-led film will earn $60-90 million in its opening weekend. Box Office Pro also currently sees Black Widow grossing $155-225 million during its domestic run.

https://heroichollywood.com/scarlett-johansson-black-widow-box-office-projections/

I have zero interest in F&F so I did not get to participate in the glorious return of big opening weekends (nor did I see Quiet Place 2).  But my wife and I will be going to see Black Widow in a movie theater next week.  I really wish Disney had released Luca in theaters, I'd love a good reason to take my kids to the theater (Peter Rabbit 2 ain't it :P)

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will be going to see Black Widow in a movie theater next week

Me too!

• 6 months later...
On 14/06/2021 at 1:42 PM, Goldfinger said:

Spielberg had 1941  wedged between Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Technically, 1941 was wedged between CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND :lol:

On 04/01/2022 at 4:07 PM, Jay said:

Marvel movies made up almost 18% of our movie going experience in 2021. We saw 17 films in the theatre last year. We saw BW Shang Chi and Spiderman, which technically is a Sony film.

Fuck you posted that in April.

I find it very sad that a film which is 90% cgi is now the best film of the last year...and has even surpassed titanic where almost the entire ship was recreated and there was so much attention to detail...very sad that only marvel films seem to be so well received. But that is just my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

In other words, Titanic still took more people to the theaters than SM.

Depends on how well the tickets followed inflation, and on the rewatch rate.