The Box Office thread

Jay

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Depends on how well the tickets followed inflation

According to The Numbers, Titanic sold 34.3 million tickets in 1997 (it came out in December of that year) and 94.5 million tickets during 1998. So, it was almost 130 million tickets in total for the James Cameron movie.

Spider-Man NWH sold 67 million tickets in 2021 and 6.5 millions so far in 2022, which means 73.5 million tickets in total.

And yet SM earned more than Titanic because ticket prices were cheaper in 1998 than in 2022.

But one could argue that if Titanic sold more ticket it was because it was cheaper (you could get two or three time for the same price today), out of pandemic and with no streaming services ready to release it less than 3 months after its theatrical release.

All this to say that it's pointless to compare movies box-office especially when they are released with two decades of difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Is box office something that is claimed by studios only? If they say, "Wow, our film just pulverized Avatar and Avengers: Endgame with $3 billion", nobody knows if that is true? They can claim whatever they want?!

Not that I care, box office has no value for me. I'm not Joe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Top Gun 2 is the first movie to get an A+ CinemaScore since the most recent Spider-Man, suggesting it will have a very very good weekend.  It should escape the Memorial Day weekend curse (it seems to happen fairly often that Mem Day openers are notorious under performers vs. expections: Solo, Tomorrowland, Pirates 4, Prince of Persia, a few others)

Paramount has been on a roll this year, with hits like Scream, Sonic 2 and now this. A few years ago, most of their attempts at "big movies" flopped horribly at the box office.

Paramount is indeed doing very well.

Scream

The Lost City

Sonic 2

Top Gun: Maverick

Scream 6 & Sonic 3 are already announced. Wouldn't be surprised if we might get an TG 3

It's a mystery to me why Edge of Tomorrow didn't catch on more with audiences.  Everyone I've talked to that's seen it, including several normie-ass normies irl, has loved it.

Also, Dr Strange 2 has also surpassed Batman at the American box office, and it's now the biggest movie of 2022.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-2022

Let's see for how long Multiverse of Madness can keep its crown before Jurassic World Dominion and (maybe) Top Gun 2.

The fact that it took this long for DS2 to dethrone Batman, despite opening with a $50 million headstart, shows that word-of-mouth for that, while not bad per se, was certainly less enthusiastic than usual for a big Marvel.  Which is fine, people got so used to MCU doing insane box office every time in the time around Endgame, they forget that before Black Panther it was pretty normal for some MCU movies to do middling business (the Thors, Ant-Mans, and the first DS were all just pretty good box office, not insane).

With neither Spider-Man: No Way Home nor Top Gun Maverick receiving releases in China, and still being big hits, I’m hoping Hollywood is finally moving on from their pathetic, obsequious kowtowing to Chinese censors.  Top Gun even put a Taiwanese flag on Tom Cruise’s jacket as a “fuck you” to the Chinese government. Go Tom!

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4550166

On 29/05/2022 at 10:20 AM, Stu said:

It's a mystery to me why Edge of Tomorrow didn't catch on more with audiences.  Everyone I've talked to that's seen it, including several normie-ass normies irl, has loved it.

Speaking for myself....

I read the plot summary and it was a retread of several films that used the same contrivance

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Speaking for myself....

I read the plot summary and it was a retread of several films that used the same contrivance

You gotta watch it though!  It’s all in how a story’s told.

It's all but assured that Top Gun 2 will outgross Doctor Strange 2 (at least for the American box office) which I don't think *anyone* would have predicted 2 months ago.

The Marvel flicks are fine and dandy, but an undoubted feeling of 'sameyness' has kicked in (although Raimi's horror-tinged touches livened up Doctor Strange 2). By contrast, at a rate of 2 in 36 years it's not like we've been swamped with Top Gun movies ... plus it has probably lured older, nostalgic moviegoers back to cinemas for the first time in a while.  

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

plus it has probably lured older, nostalgic moviegoers back to cinemas for the first time in a while.  

This is for sure part of it.  Paramount said "about 55 percent of ticket buyers were over the age of 35" for the opening weekend, which is unheard of for a modern blockbuster.

Tom has a lot of haters and he has made many blunders but I will follow him on any impossible mission and he can take me to the edge of tomorrow anytime.

Top Gun 2 is about about to be the biggest inflation-adjusted hit of Cruise's entire career at age 59! And actually he's turning 60 in less than a month.  Nobody on Earth, not even Tom Cruise, would have predicted that.

TG2 will almost certainly surpass that 437 number

image.png

(it annoys me that The Numbers included Austin Powers in this list.  cameos don't count!)

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What is so spectacular about the top gun sequel? Was the first one such a classic to have this fanbase?

It's an event movie for older demographics who grew up with Cruise and the original Top Gun, and also don't care about superheroes, fantasy, shared universes, etc. Kinda like Bohemian Rhapsody in 2018.

That said, according to Deadline, the word-of-mouth is so good that even younger people are watching this in theaters.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What is so spectacular about the top gun sequel? Was the first one such a classic to have this fanbase?

The movie seems to be particularly good (I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews are terrific) so I think it owes its success more to the reception and word of mouth it's been getting than to nostalgia 

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

We should place bets on what year the inevitable honorary Oscar comes. 

It will come the same year as the one for George Lucas.

Didn’t Lucas get the Irving Thalberg award that the Academy gives out?  I think it’s meant to be even more respectable than the honorary Oscar.  They don’t give one out every year.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How many people would have guessed that Rain Man was the 2nd biggest hit of Cruise’s career?  Be honest!

Lol. I was just about to post that I had no clue Rain Man had done so well. And I agree, cameos do not count. (And if they did, which they don’t, where’s Tropic Thunder in that list??)

Jurassic World: Dominion premiered with US$ 143m, which is right behind Fallen Kingdom's 148m.

Top Gun: Maverick earned 50m on its third weekend, which makes it the 10th biggest 3rd weekend ever, above Rogue One and Beauty and the Beast.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/weekend/3rd

On 12/06/2022 at 1:01 PM, Edmilson said:

Top Gun: Maverick earned 50m on its third weekend

What's funny is that if you compare its third weekend to its opening, it's still a smaller drop than Doctor Strange had to its second weekend.  That stat is all the more notable because TG2's 3rd weekend is against Jurassic World and DS2's 2nd weekend was against nothing big.

I have nothing against DS2, a movie I pretty much liked, it's just useful as a comparison to set off what an unexpected anomaly TG2 has turned out to be.  It's also just kinda funny to me that DS2 can make more than $900 million worldwide and still have a slight aura of disappointment around it.

It helps that Top Gun M. is a fine movie and a visual feasts with many practical visuals. 

But lets face it the F-14 vs SU-57  has to be CGI.