Can you suggest some works which are merging the orchestra with rock instuments?

mxsch

Just now, Edmilson said:

Ramin Djawadi's scores for Iron Man and Pacific Rim come to mind:

Yeah, I've mentioned Iron Man and know this score to death, including recording sessions

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Can someone please tell me how to embed a YouTube video that doesnt oveflow the post container?

All you have to do to embed a youtube video on this forum is past the URL of the video into the text editor and press enter

This isn't a film score but this piece (which I admit I really like although others might find it tacky) might be somewhat close to what you're thinking of: 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4453714/user-clip-john-williams-fanfare-michael-dukakis

By rock instruments are you simply referring to guitars and drums, or a more particular sound outside of orchestral music?

Countless scores use these instruments in varying ways. 

If you don't mind the orchestra being entirely synthesized, Zimmer's Drop Zone has some fun blending of orchestral(-sounding) material with guitar and drums.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

By rock instruments are you simply referring to guitars and drums, or a more particular sound outside of orchestral music?

Countless scores use these instruments in varying ways. 

Yeah, just basically guitars and drums, plus bass, but last one is a rare case, it seems. 

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Surprised no one posted this classic:

Karol

Metallica is my favourite band so I've listened to both S&M's countless times

FLASH GORDON has a nice interplay between Howard Blake's Orchestral score and Queen's Rock score.  Often, Blake will take some of Queen's thematic material and expand upon it.

They aren't quite merged, but they aren't entirely separate either, and you need both releases to get the full appreciation.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Surprised no one posted this classic:

Well, if we're coming from that side…

(More Kamen goodness in this one)

13 hours ago, mxsch said:

Yeah, just basically guitars and drums, plus bass, but last one is a rare case, it seems. 

Electric bass integrated with an orchestra is interesting, and can work quite organically.

There's some in Lost World, too, but I can't find it on YouTube.

Youtube overload!

There are obviously a great many scores that do/have this, but there's plenty of great prog/art/symphonic rock that does this too. Pink Floyd has been mentioned. There's also The Alan Parsons Project, Supertramp, Rick Wakeman, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Camel, King Crimson, Moon Safari, Goldfrapp, 10CC, Electric Light Orchestra, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull etc. etc.

Also, I was very much into those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums as a kid. In many ways, they paved the way for my film music interest.