Always (1989) - 2021 Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Chewy

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jim Titus does it again!

Yeah that cover art is really really beautiful!

Only one CD! I'm not familiar at all with the OST, is there a lot of unreleased music?

19 hours ago, Chewy said:

I'm not familiar at all with the OST, is there a lot of unreleased music?

I will not say anything about the new release, I will only say that the final film does not have not too much music in it that cannot be found on the original OST album.

Though the film is 2 hours long, it only has about 40 minutes of underscore in it. 

Most scenes in the film play with no music. 

Two key scenes are "scored" by "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"

I only know Follow Me from that score. 

I expect it's going to be one of the more dispensable titles in my JW collection, but I'm ready to be favorably surprised :)

I didn't realize how starved for new JW releases I was until I saw @Chewy's post. This might be the start of the flood of releases we were hyped up for!

3,000 units is a rather decent quantity for a relatively low-profile movie like Always, don't you think? Maybe there's more appreciation out there for this score than I thought.

5 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Looking at the cover art and it's so much more bright and vivid than the OST. 

Titus added the truck, too!

2 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

3,000 units is a rather decent quantity for a relatively low-profile movie like Always, don't you think? Maybe there's more appreciation out there for this score than I thought.

A lot of times the score lives on more than the film does. 

Enjoy this great summation of the film's themes recorded in 1990 for The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Titus added the truck, too!

Oh, I didn't even notice that at first, nice!  

It's just so much more visually appealing than the OST.  The sky is brighter, "Always" is white and stands out more.

I'd say the title is too big, overpowering and even goes off the cover partially. But it is still a huge improvement!

So they have!

image.png

Much better!

Somebody should make an animated gif of the difference - it's more than just the deletion of text

Sweet! I've seen the film quite a few times and enjoy it. I never had the original soundtrack album, having only listened to the score via watching the film as well as listening to the score tracks from the album via YouTube. Honestly, the only cue I recall that was not previously released was the film version of The Old Man's Shack and the cue during the scene where Ted is resuscitating the bus driver. I'm sure there is a bit more unreleased cues, of course; even a few alternate cues, maybe. I can't wait to get this.

I've only just started getting into the OST. I was only ever familiar with the suite from S/W. Among the Clouds is lovely.

This expansion gives me hope for the rest. He is clearly looking to get them all done right.

The music for Ted resuscitating the bus driver wasn't on the OST album

There's great music in the end credits of the film that wasn't on the OST album

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

The music for Ted resuscitating the bus driver wasn't on the OST album

There's great music in the end credits of the film that wasn't on the OST album

Jeez, you're right! I forgot about that!

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I believe this might be the last (officiall released) Williams soundtrack missing in my collection (I have a CDR of the OST). Major gap closure coming up!

Same. :)

Karol

How did you both end up with Eiger Sanction's OST but not Always's?

I think I picked up the Always OST album for a fiver yet by the time I realized I wanted to own Eiger it was OOP and going for $50+ online

Yeah right?!  I picked up my OST copy of Always at Half Price Books for $3 LOL

Eiger is one of the few post-1970 scores I don't have in any physical release.

Very excited to get to know this score better. Have only seen the film once a long time ago, and the OST isn't among my most-played (though I've enjoyed it each time I've listened). 

I do notice that one thing that is "lost" in the new cover is that the bottom curl of the Y is supposed to be a trail from the plane in the original cover (I think)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

How did you both end up with Eiger Sanction's OST but not Always's?

I must have bought Eiger in the late 90s at the (then) local Virgin Megastore. I don't think I've ever seen Always in stores.

Among The Clouds is one of those rare 8+ minute tracks on a Williams OST album, and an even rarer one that contains two subsequent cues that were meant to overlap rather than cues from different parts of the film combined together to create a long track

The music where Ghost Pete is elated to see Al again wasn't on the OST album either, nor was the music where Dorinda talks about Pete while having dinner with Ted (after they break the wishbone)

I was interested to notice when I finally saw the film the other week that there is no "real" score until the big "Saying Goodbye" cue which starts over 30 minutes into the film.  The only bits of score in the film before that are 3 super short ones: when Dorina and Pete are walking their bikes and see Pete's plane in the blueish fog, when Dorinda sees Pete looking into the fridge and he's covered by more blueish light, and a small section of the argument they have in the kitchen shortly after that.  They are have a similar ethereal sound of the "Pete In Heaven" cue, like Spielberg and Williams wanted to foreshadow his eventual fate.  Then "Saying Goodbye" comes in and goes in the complete opposite direction, with its long building up the big heroic sound for their goodbye kiss

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Among The Clouds is one of those rare 8+ minute tracks on a Williams OST album, and an even rarer one that contains two subsequent cues that were meant to overlap rather than cues from different parts of the film combined together to create a long track

Interesting...Where in the 8 minute track does the second cue start?