Always (1989) - 2021 Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Chewy

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

These guys are heroes for sticking with things and doing what other titles they can while they wait for years to finally be able to get revenue for an investment they made on these big titles

Not to point fingers or anythingy but they're also heroes for giving the scores the presentation they deserve, not taking shortcuts and cheap shots as far as art or even the program and used sources go just to get a quick product out in a regular time.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Hypothetically, if Mike wanted to present just the cue Among the Clouds by itself (without the other cue appended), ironically he wouldn't be able to name that track Among the Clouds due to the existing OST title.

Though it could be as simple as naming it Among the Clouds (film version).

Yea, that's what he does when an OST track combined several cues, one of which had the same name as the OST title, and he wants that cue in its own track.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

These guys are heroes for sticking with things and doing what other titles they can while they wait for years to finally be able to get revenue for an investment they made on these big titles

That must be brutal, considering most of the financial outlay (excl. manufacturing) would presumably occur at the very start of the process when the score is actually licensed.

But they can't make any return on that outlay until many months or years later when the release is finally approved (and even then, the profits seem wafer thin).

They genuinely are heroes. What a time to be a fan of JW, with all these labels operating at such a peak (pandemic notwithstanding).

2021 has been an amazing year for film score catalog releases so far!  If this pace keeps up the rest of the year, it could be the year with the most amount of catalog titles ever!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, that's what he does when an OST track combined several cues, one of which had the same name as the OST title, and he wants that cue in its own track.

Ah yes, like My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (Film Version).

Not sure I see the benefit of having the cue Among the Clouds presented by itself though, considering Dorinda Solo Flight can be appended cleanly enough to that cue using the OST track (even with its crossfade to Dorinda Survives).

So hopefully it's a potential alternate that @BrotherSound identified!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Ah yes, like My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (Film Version).

Not sure I see the benefit of having the cue Among the Clouds presented by itself though, considering Dorinda Solo Flight can be appended cleanly enough to that cue using the OST track (even with its crossfade to Dorinda Survives).

So hopefully it's a potential alternate that @BrotherSound identified!

Oh, is Among the Clouds the unused second half? I have to say that when I got the original on cassette that frustrated me so much. Technically I had the complete end of the film, but they were on opposite ends of the tape! I love the score overall but really I bought it for those two cues. I wanted the feeling I had at the end of the film! (Have I mentioned I love this movie?)

Oddly over all these years I've never made a film version of those two cues. And maybe after next week I won't have to.

If the clean opening or ending of a cue is in the movie, it should be on the expanded release.

I really hope we don't get the exact same OST edits, even if they are rebuilt from a great source. This would be the first time Mike would do that, right?

It would definitely feels like going backwards, knowing how much he fought for Incident at Isla Nublar to be presented with a clean ending, 5 years ago...

It would be curious if he retained the overlap in Pete and Dorinda. There's no reason for those cues to overlap except for JW being JW with his album editing. They weren't written to overlap, only one cue appears in the film (which overlaps with a different cue anyway) and Mike has previously separated cues in similar circumstances to ensure people can create their preferred edits (matching the film if they so desire). 

I'm holding out hope he was able to add silence between the two alternates without triggering a licence transfer from UMG (or whatever legal issues arise with altering existing OST tracks, I remember him discussing that with TLW). The CD still lists 12 tracks licensed from UMG, so...

I guess there's also a very very slight chance that this back cover isn't the final version that reflects the final tracklist. Remember the E.T. art having one track more or less than the actual release?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Remember the E.T. art having one track more or less than the actual release?

I don't remember that!  Are you sure about that?

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't remember that!  Are you sure about that?

Huh. so it was that other site that left a track out. Why did I remember this and this part only?

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Complete then?

There's no standalone track for the short cue when Ted Meets Al but I'm thinking it's been merged with another track. I'm sure everything is accounted for (assuming that alternate for The Return is the film version of Pete's death; unusual track title for that). 

Nice choice putting the alternate end credits as the final track. Looks like @BrotherSound might be on the money with the alternate Among the Clouds. 

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Complete then?

I'm unaware of anything that got recorded that isn't here. 

Interesting -- Dorinda Solo Flight is 11 seconds longer on the LLL than the OST.... have some microedits been restored?

Also really hoping the two Pete and Dorinda alternates have been at least slightly separated. That track is 2 seconds longer than the OST, so... :(

Does anyone know (or is able to say) if the alternate end credits also includes the Smoke Gets in Your Eyes melody? Not that it isn't a nice melody, and I like the song, I'm just hoping it's an all Williams affair.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Does anyone know (or is able to say) if the alternate end credits also includes the Smoke Gets in Your Eyes melody? Not that it isn't a nice melody, and I like the song, I'm just hoping it's an all Williams affair.

Based on the track times, track 15 is the film versions of the end credits, while track 21 is the alternate 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes' arrangement version, which closes the album.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Interesting -- Dorinda Solo Flight is 11 seconds longer on the LLL than the OST.... have some microedits been restored?

There are no microedits in the OST ‘Dorinda Solo Flight’ (and I guess we’re stuck with that weird title forever!). It exactly matches the timings on the sketch. Maybe it’s supposed to read 3:18 instead of 3:28?

23 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The two cues in The Return were separated by a millisecond on the OST already.

Both Intimate Conversations and The Return are 1 second longer on the LLL than the OST. Pete and Dorinda is 2 seconds longer.

I really hope Mike was able to add some breathing space between those cues.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

There's no standalone track for the short cue when Ted Meets Al but I'm thinking it's been merged with another track.

That cue is 6M2 Pete’s Aura, so looks like it will end track 9.

Yummy! When can I buy it? Is it still today or is it now the 30th?

7 hours ago, Amer said:

Among The Clouds (Alternate)

Hmmmm. I'll be interested to hear the history of this. Because if it's different (the film version ends at 4:30 on the OST) then there are three versions of the end of the movie? Among the Clouds, whatever this alternate is, and Dorinda Survives / Dorinda Solo Flight. Right?

49 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Both Intimate Conversations and The Return are 1 second longer on the LLL than the OST. Pete and Dorinda is 2 seconds longer.

I really hope Mike was able to add some breathing space between those cues.

Nope, it will be the same as on the OST. Expansions generally have a few seconds more silence at the end of each track, and if MM chose to add a bit of silence between two cues, he wouldn't be able to give the respective track the same name as on the OST.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Yummy! When can I buy it? Is it still today or is it now the 30th?

Amer left that part out of his quote of the emailer:

New Releases available to order starting TUESDAY, JUNE 22, 2021 at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

Here's the full emailer: http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2esgl7--v68c3-ag4f6q0

12 noon PST is a little over 6 hours from the time of this post.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Hmmmm. I'll be interested to hear the history of this. Because if it's different (the film version ends at 4:30 on the OST) then there are three versions of the end of the movie? Among the Clouds, whatever this alternate is, and Dorinda Survives / Dorinda Solo Flight. Right?

The OST track "Among The Clouds" combined two film cues: "Among The Clouds" [0:00-4:25] and "Dorinda Survives" [4:25-end].

Later, Spielberg had JW re-write "Dorinda Survives", and that final rewrite as used in the final film was on the OST album as the track "Dorinda Solo Flight".

It remains to be revealed to the public what "Among The Clouds (Alternate)" is, but perhaps the samples that will be available about 6 hours from now will include that track (I have no idea).

If it isn't in the samples, the booklet explains what makes each bonus track different from its main program version, which is a feature I know people miss when a release doesn't include it -- so glad it's in this release!

8 hours ago, Amer said:

“ALWAYS: LIMITED EDITION”
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98
STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 30

La-La Land Records, Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Geffen proudly present a Limited Edition remastered and expanded CD reissue of John Williams’ (JAWS, E.T., SCHINDLER’S LIST) original score to the 1989 feature film ALWAYS, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter and John Goodman. Williams’ sumptuous orchestral score gives this touching story of timeless love and miracles an irresistible dreamlike quality -- lifting and carrying the film, and its audience, on a musical wind that soars them into a timeless, romantically blissful realm. Maestro Williams also raises the stakes of the film’s riveting firefighting sequences with the kind of expert dramatic action cues that are his trademark.

Produced and mastered from studio vault elements by Mike Matessino, and approved by the composer and the director, this expanded CD is limited to 3500 Units and includes never-before-released material and exclusive, in depth liner notes also written by Matessino. The soaring art design is by Jim Titus.

TRACK LISTING:

SCORE PRESENTATION:
1 Intimate Conversation 1:28
2 Premonitions * 2:01
3 Saying Goodbye 3:15
4 Pete In Heaven 6:44
5 The Return 2:31
6 The Old Timer’s Shack 4:55
7 Follow Me 1:18
8 Seeing Dorinda 3:35
9 Ted’s Heroics And Pete’s Aura * 3:25
10 Pete And Dorinda 3:20
11 Promise To Hap 2:31
12 The Rescue Operation 5:16
13 Among The Clouds 8:37
14 Dorinda Solo Flight 3:28
15 End Credits* 4:09

ADDITIONAL MUSIC:

16 The Return (Film Version Segment) * 1:11
17 The Old Timer’s Shack (Alternate) ** 4:46
18 Follow Me (Alternate)* 1:17
19 The Rescue Operation (Alternate) ** 5:16
20 Among The Clouds (Alternate) * 4:14
21 End Credits (Alternate) * 6:24

Total Time: 79:45

* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased music

This is a CD format release

I’ll just say this ahead of time: Ordered!

38 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Nope, it will be the same as on the OST. Expansions generally have a few seconds more silence at the end of each track, and if MM chose to add a bit of silence between two cues, he wouldn't be able to give the respective track the same name as on the OST.

Well Dorinda Solo Flight is 11 seconds longer than the OST track and still has the same name (despite, seemingly, having additional material than the OST track).

So it’s three companies that made the license to be used.Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Geffen. Hoping that Maurizio's podcast with Matessino will shed some interesting bits behind it. 

22 minutes ago, Amer said:

So it’s three companies that made the license to be used.Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment and Geffen. Hoping that Maurizio's podcast with Matessino will shed some interesting bits behind it. 

Geffen for the OST tracks, Universal/Amblin for the rest, I think.

Does anyone know why the track Pete and Dorinda retains the ost edit, where one cue is combined with its alternate?

I guess it was a Williams decision?

I'd prefer it if the alternate, was among the alternates section. :(

Ordered!

And now for the long wait for this to arrive. I wonder if this release will raise my appreciation of this particular score as a whole.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah that does look gorgeous! :) 

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

And now for the long wait for this to arrive. I wonder if this release will raise my appreciation of this particular score as a whole.

I wonder if it will raise your appreciation of the postal service. 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is. But I'm still unsure about the A going out of the cover :lol: