Always (1989) - 2021 Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Chewy

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

It is. But I'm still unsure about the A going out of the cover :lol:

Ditto. :D 

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder if it will raise your appreciation of the postal service. 

I doubt it. All parcels outside EU are going to have to be declared beginning the 1st of July which means that there will be massive delays in the customs with international packages. Ah the postal bliss! Making us work for our parcels!

But it is wonderful that we are little by little getting all these Spielberg/Williams scores in complete form. :)  

Samples sound good, even though I can't hear a real improvement over the OST (except that it is louder). Can't wait to hear what source Mike used for this!

7 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

There are no microedits in the OST ‘Dorinda Solo Flight’ (and I guess we’re stuck with that weird title forever!). It exactly matches the timings on the sketch. Maybe it’s supposed to read 3:18 instead of 3:28?

The ending of the sample (starting from 0:58) has a different performance from the one used on the OST, from what I can hear. So maybe that track actually just contains a longer, alternate take? Though that would be weird, because there doesn't seem to be any track elsewhere on the set that could present the performance used on the album.

So the finale and pre-finale both had an early version and a revised version, but that's not at all clear from the tracklist. Nor is the Explosion bit being after the cue it's supposed to lead into, and the title of the film version's weird too. I wonder if the booklet will clarify things for non-expert Alwaysologists or just leave them to figure things out like CE3K.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

I wonder if the booklet will clarify things for non-expert Alwaysologists

5 hours ago, Jay said:

the booklet explains what makes each bonus track different from its main program version, which is a feature I know people miss when a release doesn't include it -- so glad it's in this release!

38 minutes ago, Holko said:

It is. But I'm still unsure about the A going out of the cover :lol:

I had that poster on my wall too many years to be super happy with that truck. ;) But the plane is GORGEOUS so it's a win!

Ordered! Now I have to do my traditional "Don't listen to the old one for the next 2-3 weeks. Arrrgh. (I've been playing it a lot the last couple of weeks.)

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Ditto. :D 

I doubt it. All parcels outside EU are going to have to be declared beginning the 1st of July which means that there will be massive delays in the customs with international packages. Ah the postal bliss! Making us work for our parcels!

Yuck i read something about it too. If this results in having to pay customs or any other extra money....i think this will be the last time I buy from an American retail. I just would not be able to afford it. Well, i probably could...but i don't want to! Unless it still cheaper than buying in Europe...

Time to ask Quartet records if they could do as Music Box and sell LLL, Intrada and Varese 's  items...

PS: Ordered...

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

The ending of the sample (starting from 0:58) has a different performance from the one used on the OST, from what I can hear. So maybe that track actually just contains a longer, alternate take? Though that would be weird, because there doesn't seem to be any track elsewhere on the set that could present the performance used on the album.

Oh, guess it's not a typo! The tempo is definitely noticeably broader than the film/OST take.

Placed a big order at Music Box. Intrada would have been €60 cheaper including shipping, but import fees, handling, and possibly taxes on top would probably have been at least that, possibly quite a bit more.

If anybody will be checking out the OST album again since it'll be a week or more until anybody hears the new edition, don't forget my theme list you might enjoy

On 6/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, Jay said:

So what do people think about the themes in this score?

To my ears there's:

Pete and Dorinda

• 7 Among The Clouds @ 2:58, 6:27, 7:12
  • 10 Saying Goodbye @ 1:07, 2:17
  • 11 Pete and Dorinda @ 0:00, 2:04
  • 12 The Return @ 1:27, 1:58
  • 13 The Rescue Operation @ 3:34, 4:37
  • 14 Seeing Dorinda @ 1:54
  • 15 Intimate Conversation @ 0:31
  • 17 The Old Timer's Shack @ 1:15
  • Spielberg/Williams track @ 0:09, 2:03, 3:28

Pete

• 7 Among The Clouds @ 1:58, 4:38, 7:44
  • 12 The Return @ 1:19
  • 13 The Rescue Operation @ 3:23, 4:23, 4:51
  • 18 Dorinda's Solo Flight @ 2:52
  • Spielberg/Williams track @ 4:33

Dorinda

• 13 The Rescue Operation @ 3:04, 4:06
  • 18 Dorinda's Solo Flight @ 0:40, 2:23
  • Spielberg/Williams track @ 0:58

Epic Jim Thatcher Horn Solo (resolution to Pete and Dorinda's theme)

• 7 Among The Clouds @ 3:11
  • 18 Dorinda's Solo Flight @ 1:47
  • Spielberg/Williams track @ 2:19

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yuck i read something about it too. If this results in having to pay customs or any other extra money....i think this will be the last time I buy from an American retail. I just would not be able to afford it. Well, i probably could...but i don't want to! Unless it still cheaper than buying in Europe...

Sheesh. I've ordered direct from LLL only once before and intended to do it again but if their trick won't work anymore... I'll just have to stick with MBR and my local store, which is at this point just a front for some foreign warehouse but using lots of local post options.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Placed a big order at Music Box. Intrada would have been €60 cheaper including shipping, but import fees, handling, and possibly taxes on top would probably have been at least that, possibly quite a bit more.

Thanks, i forgot about that outlet. I really don't need any of these releases, but for sentimental reasons, i placed an order for Always, Shamus, Psycho 2 and The Public Eye on Musicbox, since i doubt this comes cheaper once german customs got their greedy hands on it (shipping is also more expensive from the US, compared to the 13€ i paid on MB).

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Thanks, i forgot about that outlet. I really don't need any of these releases, but for sentimental reasons, i placed an order for Always, Shamus, Psycho 2 and The Public Eye on Musicbox, since i doubt this comes cheaper once german customs got their greedy hands on it (shipping is also more expensive from the US, compared to the 13€ i paid on MB).

Yes, shipping is surprisingly cheap (at least when you're used to transatlantic rates), and they have everything listed in their catalogue and do backorders/preorders. I'd also completely forgotten about them, but apparently I've ordered there before…

On 6/23/2021 at 7:11 AM, publicist said:

Why don't you use Chris Soundtrack corner since you are also in Germany? Shipping is very cheap there (3 Euro for 2 CDs)

3 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Why don't you use Chris Soundtrack corner since you are also in Germany? Shipping is very cheap there (3 Euro for 2 CDs)

But the cd's are more expensive!

On 6/23/2021 at 4:15 AM, Incanus said:

I was never a fan of the EU... 😂 

That's one reason. 

53 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

I compared Images and Always, and there is not much difference

I first read this post devoid of the context of the conversation and for a second was like "....musically?"

I hadn't realized until looking at those dates just now, that they returned for a final day of recording almost an entire month after the main scoring sessions! And, that final day was only 2 1/2 weeks before the film was set to open! 

This completely explains why the OST album wasn't in stores until early 1990! They must have really wanted music recorded on that day (which I would have to imagine is at the very least the revised versions of Rescue Operation and Dorinda Survives, maybe the revisions to Old Timer's Shack too?) to be on it. 

It also kinda explains why the first version of Dorinda Survives is on the OST album too; I wonder if after the main scoring sessions they crafted a score album, only for Spielberg to later request cue revisions. But by then he was happy with how his track combinations turned out, so they just replaced The Rescue Operation, and added Dorinda Survives revised as Dorinda Solo Flight (a silly name, since the cue begins after her solo flight is over) to the end, maybe replacing an End Credits assembly that might have been there instead originally? And maybe they just left Old Timer's Shack alone?  This is all speculation on my part - I know nothing! 

Another funny parallel, is that the same thing would happen on the very next Spielberg/Williams collaboration, Hook, just two years later. Once again we have the main scoring sessions end in November, with a final day set for shortly before the film had to open in December. However this time, instead of delaying the score album into 1992 and have it include music from that final day, the made a score album only of material from the main sessions and got it pressed in time to be in stores before the film opened (without a track list in the back cover or booklet because those were printed before the contents were determined!), meaning music from that final day (which included the freaking climax of the score!) couldn't be on it. 

Fascinating differences. I wonder what a 1992 Hook score album would have looked like - maybe a 20 minute Ultimate War track? And I wonder what the Always score album would have looked like if it couldn't include any Dec 4 cues?  Imagine only being able to hear "Dorinda Solo Flight" within the film itself until this LLL album?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if after the main scoring sessions they crafted a score album, only for Spielberg to later request cue revisions.

I don’t know how I keep ending up on the topic of Superman on this Always thread, but I noticed planning on the album began early enough that there’s a note on the sketch about which take to use for the album for the original, not revised version of 1M3 The Dome Opens:

image.png

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Another funny parallel, is that the same thing would happen on the very next Spielberg/Williams collaboration, Hook, just two years later. Once again we have the main scoring sessions end in November, with a final day set for shortly before the film had to open in December.

Assuming the album release date of November 26, 1991 I found is accurate, the album was in stores before recording had even concluded. Wild!

6 hours ago, publicist said:
9 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

But the cd's are more expensive!

I've ordered from CSC a couple of times in the past and the service way always good, but yes, the prices are sadly almost the same as the US prices including shipping, and then you have to pay for shipping on top of that, which you have to balance against the import taxes.

For Images, I put that and Silence of the Lambs in my CSC basket to calculate the shipping costs and compared them to a direct order from Quartet. The difference was something like €2, so I ordered from Quartet, because a) it's always good to support the label when possible and b) shipping would obviously be faster, too. I forgot to clear by CSC basket and got an email reminder whether I still wanted to place the order. I remember I used to get automatic reminders from them in the past, but this one seemed hand written, so I replied that no, I'd already ordered from Quartet. I got "And paid more…" as a reply, which I found rather… odd.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Fascinating differences. I wonder what a 1992 Hook score album would have looked like - maybe a 20 minute Ultimate War track?

Even if he did include more of the Ultimate War material, I can't imagine it would be all in one track. JW doesn't usually like to have that much continuous action material on a soundtrack album. He even broke up 'Follow Me' and 'The Falcon', which really seem to belong together, after all.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

For Images, I put that and Silence of the Lambs in my CSC basket to calculate the shipping costs and compared them to a direct order from Quartet. The difference was something like €2, so I ordered from Quartet, because a) it's always good to support the label when possible and b) shipping would obviously be faster, too. I forgot to clear by CSC basket and got an email reminder whether I still wanted to place the order. I remember I used to get automatic reminders from them in the past, but this one seemed hand written, so I replied that no, I'd already ordered from Quartet. I got "And paid more…" as a reply, which I found rather… odd.

Images directly from Quartet costs 17 Euro plus 13,40 Euro Courier (they do not offer any other postage).  From Soundtrackcorner it is 19 Euro plus 2,50 Euro postage, since I am in Germany (and publicist, too). 

2 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Images directly from Quartet costs 17 Euro plus 13,40 Euro Courier (they do not offer any other postage).  From Soundtrackcorner it is 19 Euro plus 2,50 Euro postage, since I am in Germany (and publicist, too). 

For two discs, the shipping costs at Quartet were only marginally higher. And the Corner naturally charges more for shipping to Austria than to Germany (which doesn't apply to Pub's case, obviously).

On 6/24/2021 at 12:51 PM, BrotherSound said:

Assuming the album release date of November 26, 1991 I found is accurate, the album was in stores before recording had even concluded. Wild!

Tomorrow Never Dies's OST album was in stores before its film opened in 1997, and only included music from the first half of the film because it had to be locked before the music for the second half of the film had been recorded!  Yet it somehow strangely works as a pretty good album despite this limitation! 

The Chapter III release 3 years later would debut a lot of the music from the second half of the film and is ultimately an overall stronger album, but boy I can't wait for Neil to one day be able to give us a proper complete edition...

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Chapter III release 3 years later would debut a lot of the music from the second half of the film and is ultimately an overall stronger album, but boy I can't wait for Neil to one day be able to give us a proper complete edition...

Can I get an amen here!

Certainly looking forward to Always but if LLL puts out their version of TND I might just plotz! 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes I remember reading that thread back in Jan and shedding a tear... I sit here looking at my shelf with the TND OST, Chapter III and DVD rip sitting there next to the beautiful LLL TWINE and DAD releases hoping someday to be able to chuck my DVD rips in the trash and place a rightful complete TND in their place! 

Oh well I guess I'll have to console myself with Quartets images and LLL Always when they arrive! :)

On 6/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, Gurkensalat said:

I compared Images and Always, and there is not much difference

I might not be good at math, but that i get:

Public Eye = 26,95 vs. 32,95

Shamus = 26,95 vs. 32,95

Lionheart = 33,95 vs. 39,95

Matrix = 33,95 vs. 39,95

It adds up, you know.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:13 AM, Jay said:

Imagine only being able to hear "Dorinda Solo Flight" within the film itself until this LLL album?

The very idea gives me the shakes. 

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Just got my tracking number from Employee #3!  😝 

Same here! :) 

Nice, Employee3 sent me one too! I Always get excited when I get a shipping notification.