Always (1989) - 2021 Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Chewy

• 2 weeks later...

On this release the score is starting so much softer and subtler. Makes me really appreciate it for the first time. The OST had this typical on-the-nose entry with "Among the Clouds" and "Follow Me". I'm also staggered about the fact, how different "Follow Me (alternate)" sounds. I'd even argue that it integrates better into the rest of the score than the original version. I'll probably have them in my main program playing back to back.

Oh, and some of the cues give me Last Crusade vibes. Has something to do with the flutes, I think.

47 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Oh, and some of the cues give me Last Crusade vibes. Has something to do with the flutes, I think.

Yes! I got that distinct feeling from the alternate Old Timer's Shack. The playfulness reminds me of cues from TLC (the early museum/X Marks the Spot cue springs to mind).

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

just realized, both films were from 1989.....you're onto something.

I remember at the time a friend commented that she thought Follow Me reminded her of Indy's First Adventure. 

And yes, they were six months apart. 

39 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

@Josh500  whoa! where is that? what store?

That's the Tower Records Flagship Store in Tokyo, Japan. I'm not there right now, but I've been there in the past. Second to none, when it comes to CDs. They've got everything on massive nine floors! 

A friend sent me that pic. She knows I collect John Williams CDs.... :)

images - 2021-08-28T011808.709.jpeg

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Man, that's some store. Imagine waking up in the morning, casually strolling into a store, making a small purchase (say, 6 albums worth around 200 bucks), and then going home, with an extra spring in your step... :D

FB_IMG_1630066982968.jpg

Awesome. Only place I’ve seen that number of limited editions for sale in a regular cd store is FNAC on the Champs-Élysées in Paris but the markup was pretty horrific even if you take postage into account. Think I bought a couple of things years ago I intended to get but hadn’t got round to, just for the novelty. Of course I didn’t have any means to get the music onto my iPod…

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I wonder how you get your replacement discs when you buy from Tower Records ;)

I never had to get a replacement CD. 

But Tower Records has pretty good service. I imagine you go back there, explain what's what, and they'll replace the CD for you. They usually have 5-10 of each album in stock... If you're lucky, that is. 

I'm thinking of the recent trend of expansions that have had replacement discs issued, like AI and Eiger. I'm sure Tower would have no problem replacing a disc that e.g. wouldn't play.

And I hope I get another chance to shop at a Tower Records in Japan! It's the most magical place. I documented my last adventure here:

That just brings up the Ultimate box set. That's alright, I should support someone other than Amazon anyway! 

• 1 month later...

Last week I took the shrinkwrap off my copy and listened to it over two work commutes.  I didn't discover anything new since I'd heard it so many times, but it was nice to have a thorough listen while not multitasking (other than driving).  I tried to listen for the Indiana Jones 3 ish parts since that was discussed a bit above, but I didn't really hear anything that is TOO close to that sound, other than perhaps some of the alternate Follow Me.

One thing I wanted to ask about is: Did anybody here read Mike's liner notes?  If so, can you please share your thoughts about them??  I found the liner notes to be a GREAT read, one of the best liner notes I've read in a while.  The observations he makes about where this falls in Spielberg's career, and the role it played leading up towards Schindler's List, was utterly fascinating.  I'd love to hear what anybody has to say about these notes!

And I hope people enjoy the section at the end that talks a bit about every track and explains what makes the alternates different from other tracks; Not every specialty label release does this these days and I was glad to see Mike did it for this album.

Funny, I just listened to this yesterday. So glad I did. There's a reason I'm still interested in this score 30+ years later. For some reason Ted's Heroics And Pete's Aura really jumped out at me. Like "Where did THIS come from?"

I did read the liner notes. They're quite good. Informative but they didn't feel like homework. And yes, I always like the info on alternates or for that matter what makes something different from how it was used in the film.

On 28/08/2021 at 1:18 AM, Josh500 said:

That's the Tower Records Flagship Store in Tokyo, Japan. I'm not there right now, but I've been there in the past. Second to none, when it comes to CDs. They've got everything on massive nine floors! 

I popped in there in 2013 while on a short vacation. They had the Missouri Breaks and Rosewood expansions then - pretty obscure films! I already had Rosewood, and figured it was God's way of telling me to buy Missouri as well. It was such a nice surprise to see so much Williams goodness. I forget what else I saw, but yeah, I think it's the largest soundtrack section I've ever seen. And then I saw Steve Vai in concert that night and again the next. It was a good musical trip!

• 4 months later...

I can not take myself to listen "End Credits (Alternate), especially ending of piece (xylophone movement).  It reminds me of my childhood friend who died and our good old times. Such an album that includes Lydian mode treasure for lovers 🥲🥲🥲🥲

• 1 month later...

Wow.  I'm listening to John Williams' 1992 album "Unforgettable" with the Boston Pops, and it contains an arrangement of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" by Peter Bodge that is sooooooooooo inferior to the great arrangement for Always' end credits from 3 years prior.  

Too bad he didn't record an arrangement similar to the Always one for this album, considering his 1989 arrangement didn't end up getting used in the film or on the OST album...

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Jay said:

JW's arrangements of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes for the end credits that Spielberg didn't use are crazy good

Yes! I switched that track with the credits. I love the airy flighty new end theme it opens with too! Coming in at the end, it's kind of a theme for Dorinda's independence/new life, accepting Pete's loss (haven't seen the movie, don't look at me if it's wrong), and after climactic statements it's such a nice followup, a suggestion of where she'll go. I like it better than the straight up reprise of the main program one.

• 2 months later...

Among the Clouds, 2:32ish: That little figure with the oboe. (It's an oboe, right?) That has killed me every time for 33 years.

Also, I admit that I didn't pay much attention to the alternate End Credits before. Sure, it had Smoke Gets in Your Eyes. Twice! It was nice.

I just listened to it and I'm almost in tears. Wow.

• 4 months later...

I know it came out in 2021 but still a great release!

Top albums of 2022: Saluting the cinematic horn concerto – John Williams’s Always in pristine expanded edition from La-La Land

https://jarijuhanikallio.wordpress.com/2022/12/27/top-albums-of-2022-saluting-the-cinematic-horn-concerto-john-williamss-always-in-pristine-expanded-edition-from-la-la-land/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

JOHN WILLIAMS ALWAYS SPECIAL!!!

In celebration of our new SABRINA release, we’re offering ALWAYS, another brilliant, romantic John Williams score at a great sale price of ONLY $15!

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2og7bu--13dg70-ag4f6q0

https://lalalandrecords.com/always-limited-edition/

I don't have a proof of purchase but I expect I've established my Always bona fides. I will probably be caught out on Sabrina. I'll miss you all.

20 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I don't have a proof of purchase but I expect I've established my Always bona fides. I will probably be caught out on Sabrina. I'll miss you all.

11 days remaining.

That’s 264 hours you’ll never get back, but you will have proven beyond doubt the depths of your disenchantment with Star Wars. 

The Force will be with you…(if you buy) ALWAYS!

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

That’s 264 hours you’ll never get back, but you will have proven beyond doubt the depths of your disenchantment with Star Wars. 

The Force will be with you…(if you buy) ALWAYS!

I have Always! The only reason I don't have three is because I got rid of my cassette. It's Sabrina that's getting me the boot.