RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Always

crumbs

Wowzers, the ending of that cue really wouldn't have worked if left in the film.  Spielberg was right to dial it out and have Pete's declaration drowned out only by the sound of the plane, and not music too

In fact I wonder if Williams knew where Spielberg wanted the music to end, but wrote a longer ending anyway to give his eventual score album a better ending in the track that would contain that cue.

The beginning of their love theme reminds me of the People's House theme from Lincoln

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

a young mechanic

Marg Helgenberger is only 8 months younger than Holly Hunter :)

And they are both older than Brad Johnson :lol:

These videos are great, keep up the good work!

Thank you so much for our providing us with these. It's extraordinary to be able to see the music in context.

I've always liked to think of this movie was an overlong episode of Amazing Stories. And Williams using his well trodden americana sound helps the film in that way. As much as I love Dreyfuss I have to pretend it's part of that world, to tolerate the saccharine.

As usual, Williams elevates the film by downplaying the overly emotional story and making it resonate in other ways.

2 minutes ago, Madmartigan JC said:

As usual, Williams elevates the film by downplaying the overly emotional story and making it resonate in other ways

Hmmm, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.  Can you elucidate?

John Williams always elevate a film with his music, but I don't think that I would qualify his method by using the word "downplaying".

His music always plays a character in a movie, sometimes his role is to add subtility, sometines his work is to add more shine. But that's overall, the utility of music in film... well according to me!

The particularity of John Williams, again according to me, is that his music is NEVER just a background music! It always have a clear purpose. John Williams is a very humble person in life, but his music in films IS ABSOLUTELY NOT!

31 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The particularity of John Williams, again according to me, is that his music is NEVER just a background music! It always have a clear purpose. John Williams is a very humble person in life, but his music in films IS ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Yes!

I agree!
I might me misremembering the film, since I last saw it many years ago. But I remember it as not a very subtle film -at all-. As I recall it, the message of 'love transcending all barriers, even death' and the way the story is portrayed was rather in-your-face. That's why I mostly associate it with Amazing Stories, which were very high concept stories (and perhaps also because of the episode "The Mission", scored by JW 4 years before this film, has many points in common with Always).

I guess a different composer could probably have focused more on the schmaltzy romantic aspect of it. But Williams tinges it with other elements (be it grief, longing, even heroicism and a bit of magic when needed), to transcend what the script is telling. And he does those things in way I find structurally different from other scores of that period. I feel particularly the harmonies sometimes give us a glimpse of paths he would take in future score (around the 2000s).

I didn't mean to say it's not an emotional score. On the contrary, it's can be very moving at moments, but at the same time I find it much richer and reflective than the script. This is true of probably every JW score, but I guess it shows a bit more when the film it's accompanying is more one-note. 

I'm so excited about this new release!

54 minutes ago, Madmartigan JC said:

I might me misremembering the film, since I last saw it many years ago. But I remember it as not a very subtle film -at all-. As I recall it, the message of 'love transcending all barriers, even death' and the way the story is portrayed was rather in-your-face.

I think you are misremembering, because that is not the message of the film.

Their love didn't transcend death; Hap tells Pete early that his life is over, and anything he does as a ghost for himself is pointless.  His role as a ghost is to help Dorinda get over him, be able to move on with her life, and love someone else (and also help Ted be a better pilot I guess). 

Pete and Dorinda weren't a healthy couple before his death; it isn't actually quite clear if they were really even technically in a relationship or not, I don't think.  But they never say "I love you" out loud to each other, until just before he takes off of his last flight, when she says it to him, but by the time he realizes he is willing to say it finally and does so, his plane's engine drowns out his words and she never hears it.  He dies with her never knowing that he finally was capable of providing the love she desired.

In fact the plot of the movie is quite simple: that's the final film role of Audrey Hepburn! :wub:

Great work on all those new videos, and the entire group of videos as a whole.  Nice audio editing job on that end credits track, too!

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

Great work on all those new videos, and the entire group of videos as a whole.  Nice audio editing job on that end credits track, too!

Thanks for that!

Looking forward to hearing a much better quality version of the credits suite on the LLL (and a clean start & end!)

Indeed great work on these @crumbs!!!

The alternate Follow Me sounds like something left over from the Last Crusade. It very much feels like Indy's Very First Adventure and presages some his whimsical Home Alone chase music.

• 2 years later...

Since this post, the LLL came out and we of course got a lot better source for what are here only rips, and also stuff that aren't here, so I thought I'd have a go at redoing it (with @crumbs' approval). I broke the LLL down into a more simple C&C revised main program + original version bonus tracks with the help of @Jay's spreadsheet, sometimes having to fabricate endings/openings - it didn't work perfectly everywhere but mostly tracks end or begin on held notes so a loop and fadein/fadeout was enough.

Seeing the Plane (Revised) - Ghostly synth carries the Premonitions theme.

Pete at the Refrigerator - An eerie texture for the lighting (cold blue light of the fridge separating Pete from the warm orange glow of the natural fire) foreshadowing Pete's separation from the natural world.

Your Number is Up - The film reuses the previous cue here, I tried to match it up to logical beats, end it when the dry banter starts.

Saying Goodbye - Energetic renditions of the love theme, in its first appearance. The film dials out the (admittedly maybe overdramatic) ending in place of the noise of the plane that drowns out Pete's first explicit declarations of his love.

Explosion of Pete's Plane (Film version)
Pete in Heaven - This one's partially unused, replaced by Promise to Hap. I had to slow the footage for multiple times to bring the obvious sync points back to sync - the transition, the ending, the appearance of the love theme as Pete thinks of Dorinda.

Pete's Aura - The movie dials the ending out when Ted enters.

Dorinda's Flying Entrance - The premonitions and love themes play as Pete and Dorinda nearly miss each other.

The Old Timer's Shack (with insert and revised ending) - The cue is heavily cut down in the film, including the removal of a section featuring the love theme for I assume a Pete monologue, or a cutaway to Dorinda?
Follow Me (Revised)

Seeing Dorinda - Premonitions and the love theme return again.

Ted's Heroics

Remembering Pete - Premonitions and love theme again.

Dorinda and Pete (Revised) - A clearly formed piano rendition of the love theme. I had to fake an ending since it's combined with the original version on the LLL, it should have a longer fadeout into...
Promise to Hap
Intimate Conversation
is a very clear simple love theme rendition that would have been for an unreleased deleted scene here, but it works great as the LLL's opener.

The Rescue Operation (Revised) - As Dorinda starts letting go of her resentment towards Pete's hotheaded heroics and jumps in a plane herself when there's a need for it, her theme starts coming in on synth, the love theme also joining in. Although this is already a revision, the film replaced the ending with tracked music.

Among the Clouds - The film shortens the triumphant/relieved opening and goes straight into the intimate material for the final "conversation", featuring the love theme.
Dorinda Survives (Third Version) - As Dorinda makes the choice to take Pete's hand, her theme gets a big orchestral rendition, flowing into the love theme.
End Credits (Revised) - JW recorded two versions of the credits in 3 parts, this is all the later ones. I guess he really liked his original approach to Dorinda Survives, because this revised first part is basically a rearranged version of it. The second part then covers Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, and the third part closes with Among the Clouds' french horn solo. On the OST (and thus it's the same way on the LLL), he replaced the last 2 segments with the original versions, presumably to remove traces of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes? On the LLL, the pieces are combined in a different way, presumably to collect all the Smoke Gets In Your Eyes variations out of the main program and into the bonus section?

Seeing the Plane (Original) - A clearer statement of the Premonitions theme.

Explosion of Pete's Plane (Album take) - the same composition for strings only, without celeste.

The Old Timer's Shack (Original) - The more playful inserts replaced material that is much more mock-dramatic.
Follow Me (Original) - This original version is much less grand than the revision, more lowkey comedic, with the only memorable melody being the ostinato.

Dorinda and Pete (Original) - A much more rich sounding version with a flute rendition of the love theme.

The Rescue Operation (Original) - Before JW wrote Dorinda's theme, he scored those moments with Smoke Gets In Your Eyes renditions here.

Dorinda Survives (First Version) - A much longer cut than the final film, emphasising some pretty different emotions.

Dorinda Survives (Second Version) - Same cut as the first one, this time the approach was to make it much more quiet and subtle until Pete releases Dorinda - this was of course thrown out for the big third and final version with the new Dorinda theme.

End Credits (Original) - I started this assembly with the Platters' Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, JW then takes over with a unique rendition of the love theme, then a piano then full orchestra rendition of the song, which leads into a reprise of the love theme rendition at the end of Dorinda Survives, more love theme and a reference to the Garry Owen March.

Looks great, can't wait to check it out! 

BTW, the end credits wasn't on the OST album.  The LLL set debuted the original and revised pieces. 

• 6 months later...