• Legends of the Fall
    • Courage Under Fire
    • (haven’t seen the films)
  3. 3. Film overall

• Glory
    • Legends of the Fall
    • Courage Under Fire
    • (Havent seen the films)

I want to vote in this poll, but I haven't seen all these films, and there is no option for that. So I can't vote unless you add it.

@Jay. Got a “havent seen films” option on there for you.

Personally, if you only see ONE. See Glory. Terrific and moving film. I grew up the son of a Jr High history teacher so that one (and Gettysburg) got played a lot at our house lol. 

It’s a terrific marriage of score and story. Not a ton of themes or as sweeping as Legends of the Fall. But it’s just so full of heart. You’ll appreciate the score more after you’ve seen the film.

Glory is the one I've seen!  We watched it in high school, and the wife and I re-watched it again within the last few years.  It's good, and Horner's score is great.

For the other 2, I know those scores, but haven't seen those films

Legens is the better score and Glory is the better movie.

I'm really grateful to Zwick because two of his movies are also among my favorite film scores ever: Horner's Legends of the Fall and Zimmer's The Last Samurai. He also collaborated with JNH but this partnership hasn't produced any masterpieces like the two mentioned so far.

5 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

@Edmilson

No “masterpiece” status for Blood Diamond? I thought that was a terrific one. I suppose not at the same tier as some of Horner’s efforts. But pretty close I’d say.

I like some of the tracks on Blood Diamond's OST, mostly from the more emotional parts of the score (Maddy and Archer, I Can Carry You, Thought I'd never Call?, Solomon Vandy), but overall I'd put this slightly below Last Samurai and the Horner scores.

58 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

@Edmilson

No “masterpiece” status for Blood Diamond? I thought that was a terrific one. I suppose not at the same tier as some of Horner’s efforts. But pretty close I’d say.

Zwick has a terrific track record in terms of his scores, at least up untill and including DEFIANCE.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Zwick has a terrific track record in terms of his scores, at least up untill and including DEFIANCE.

Agreed! I wish he’d produce another  large historical/action/drama. He really delivers in that mode. I believe at one time he was set to direct an epic about the Great Wall of China (not that horrible Matt Damon movie;) Imagine James Newton Howard let loose on that canvas!

I think he’s kinda become disenchanted with Hollywood though over the years. He recently spoke on Roger Deakins’ podcast about some of his ups and downs when it comes to getting projects off the ground. 

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

Agreed! I wish he’d produce another  large historical/action/drama. He really delivers in that mode. I believe at one time he was set to direct an epic about the Great Wall of China (not that horrible Matt Damon movie;) Imagine James Newton Howard let loose on that canvas!

Yes, the project was eventually taken over by Zhang Jimou - perhaps the greatest "Fifth Generation" Chinese director. I've been a fan of his forever (ever since the seminal JOU DOU and RAISE THE RED LANTERN), but I haven't seen THE GREAT WALL yet. From what I've heard from colleagues, it's terribly bloated. And the Djawadi score isn't much to write home about either (for me, it was too bombastic and generic).

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Legends is a great film. A little sappy but effective. I've always loved it unashamedly.

Same. I was going to as unabashedly, but unashamedly is just as good!

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Same. I was going to as unabashedly, but unashamedly is just as good!

That was actually the word I was looking for! But both work

It's still one of the more sophisticated things Horner did, almost like an oratorio. Certainly more accomplished than the Barry-sludge that is Legends, though i love that score (even if it is mushy).

Went to through and listened through Glory yesterday (arranged the cues in semi-chronological order as well)

A Call To Arms

After Anteitam

Forming the Regiment

The Whipping

Lonely Christmas

The Year of Jubilee

Burning the Town of Darien

Brave Words, Braver Deeds

Preparations for Battle

Charging Fort Wagner

An Epitaph to War

Closing Credits

It’s an amazing score. But I must confess, it can get a tiiiny bit repetitive. The 45 min album is perfect. I can’t imagine an expansion adding much.

I’m very familiar with the film and I’d wager there’s only about 5-7 minutes of unreleased music. Most of it slight variations on themes we already have on the ost. But of the music not released, the short boys choir requiem-ish(?) piece that plays when Shaw descends the stairs and looks around at his fathers party while he appears to suffer from survivors guilt is of note. But lasts maybe 30 seconds. Also the music that swells up behind the parade source music as the 54th leave their town is a lovey riff on the main “Glory” theme.

Other than a nice remastering, I don’t know if an expanded album would be worth it if you already own the score. Unless there’s a ton of unused material presented as well. But it certainly a perfectly spotted score. Horner approached this one with a bit more restraint/reverence (ala Williams on Schindler’s List) I’d say then his later historical dramas.