Images (1972) - 2021 remaster by Quartet Records (CD and LP)

Jurassic Shark

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

This is really such a brilliant score and such a compelling concept, the music playing both sanity and madness and blurring lines between them in the film. As I have said before I would have loved more collaborations between Altman and Williams as both this score and A Long Goodbye are marvellous.

Well, there's also a short film and a handful of TV episodes. But yes -- would have loved more feature film collaborations.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It is interesting to ponder that if they hadn't decided to do that - and instead did not promote the score for award consideration at all - today would be the first day we'd be hearing the OST album he assembled 49 years ago!

Well, I'm glad he sent it in, at least. He got a nomination out of it.

Out of all the feature films Altman directed after Images, which one would have led to the most interesting Williams score, do you think?

Popeye and Gosford Park would be my answer I think

Just re-read part of another Images thread and found this: 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, Corellian2019 said:

Out of curiosity I revisited the Blu-ray of Images today, and in the booklet it says that the mono soundtrack was remastered from the D/M/E (dialog/music/effects) reels. While it's obviously preferable to have the original master tapes, I wonder if any of the labels considered reissuing the long-OOP Prometheus album with the missing cues from the music stem of the film, similar to Quartet's release for The Long Goodbye

@Jay Any idea if those "film stems" where once used by Mike for a complete presentation that ended up not being approved by Williams?

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Interesting to read what Williams has to say about his music.

And no @Jurassic Shark, he won't be saying "I could have done more". ;)

“After viewing a rough cut, I proceeded to call Robert and tell him he needed a better composer for the job. He replied, I know but they are all dead.”

OOOK, I was going to buy it at quartet, i tried several times to sort out my password... and i'm blocked now after sevaral failed attempts.

I hope it is temporary. Look out guys, as it doesn't let me access and create a new account...

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Just re-read part of another Images thread and found this: 

@Jay Any idea if those "film stems" where once used by Mike for a complete presentation that ended up not being approved by Williams?

No idea

I don't know who to credit but someone had clearly turned that poster in to cover art which graces my iTunes library... If you posted this here (or maybe on FSM custom art thread) do shout. It's splendid!

Think I'll probably pick up this new version, even if it's not a JW score I listen to often, it's still an interesting other side to his compositional personality that almost never got an airing elsewhere.

Images.png

I like the knife poster they went with for this release, more than that poster.

I don't know why Prometheus made up their own weird cover for their 2007 edition.  They should have used that poster!

5 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Where is Quartet Records shipping from?

Quartet Records is a record company based in Madrid, Spain which specializes in limited edition film and television scores.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.23550/.f

It really pains me to pay more for shipping (18.40) than the product itself (16.95) when my goal is to support these specialty labels. I wonder if a digital release could happen.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I reckon Jay now regrets not selling his copy of the old release!

I think he regrets YOU, of all people,  beating him to the announcement!😅

That release is really a nice surprise for me. 

Especially since I neither have the score of "Always" nor the "Images" score.

Of Images I simply was not aware and Always... I listened through it once in a record store and it didn't give me much. And I did not like the version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" on the OST. And also the suite did not excite me so far. 

But meanwhile I am happy any time when there is new Williams music for me to get into. The times when he wrote four scores per year and you pick the two or three most interesting ones are over. So, now I am happy to dig into the stuff that I missed in the past.

The samples are pretty interesting, ranging from general Williamsyness to a Morriconey track to dementors. I'm intrigued enough to buy this practically blind! That interview is great.

So this isn't just a recording of a LP playing with cracks and pops like the old c.d.?

Music wise I find this score unlistenable except for 2 tracks ,

I might order it with Always at SAE