Images (1972) - 2021 remaster by Quartet Records (CD and LP)

Jurassic Shark

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So this isn't just a recording of a LP playing with cracks and pops like the old c.d.?

On 6/7/2021 at 7:15 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

This new 2021 edition, the first official release of IMAGES approved by the composer, has been expertly produced, restored and mastered by Mike Matessino utilizing a recently discovered stereo element, the only available source that could be located.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jay said:

The Quartet order page has sound samples you can listen to.  Put on good headphones and close your eyes, and listen to these samples and then your rip of the Prometheus CD from the same section back to back and see what you think!

https://quartetrecords.com/product/images/

This Quartet edition is done the usual way you make an album of music from a master recording.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:59 AM, Jay said:

This is the first CD edition made from an actual proper master.

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am wondering what a Prague re-recording would sound like.

:huh:

A concert suite (sans vocals) could be nice.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If done by Silva with minimal rehearsal: mediocre.

If done by Tadlow with enough rehearsal: good very good to excellent.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

A concert suite (sans vocals) could be nice.

Oh there absolutely should be a groaning and moaning percussionist part in the concert suite!

And although the Quartet Records shipping is pricey, it is also fast. I just got notification that my package will be here tomorrow. :o

It's been a while since I played my Prometheus copy.  Admittedly, it's not a score that's in heavy rotation for me, but it is compelling for sure.

A remaster is a good excuse to take another listen, so I preordered it from Screen Archives.

16 hours ago, Incanus said:

And although the Quartet Records shipping is pricey, it is also fast. I just got notification that my package will be here tomorrow. :o

Yep, mine arrived with me this morning here in the UK, very impressive!

Well, for those of us in the UK, there's minimal difference between shipped prices from Spain on Quartet compared to coming from the US via Intrada. That's Brexit for you: posting something less than 30 miles from Calais to Dover can cost as much as getting it from Australia. Ridiculous.

Thankfully, I have friends in Madrid who can help, so that saves 12 Euros on postage!

Mark

Just ordered from Intrada. It can take however long it needs, I’m not paying $20 for shipping. I think they took the soundtrack off Tidal, unfortunately, so I can’t listen to the old version in the meantime.

If your neighbours call the Police for a John Williams score played too loud, make sure it's for the Temple of Doom track!

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The lyrical music is great but the grunts i really get embarrassed thinking what the neighbours will think when I play it in the hi-fi sistem... :/

photo-79.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's impressive your iPod Touch still works!  It must be around a decade old?

Well, "works"… apparently it's now playing stuff on its own without warning. ;) 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's impressive your iPod Touch still works!  It must be around a decade old?

It was a 2019 model! 

Karol

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wow I didn't realize they were still making them!

I suspect this will be the last model. In terms of functionality, tech and design even in 2019 it felt like it was several generations behind. But it has got 256GB storage and is very small. I hate listening to music on ny phone. I removed almost everything else from it and the battery lasts about 4 days on a single charge. 

I've still got a 2009 iPod which works just fine. :)

They still replace batteries for both anyway. 

Karol

I used to love love love love love my iPod.  I never even went for the Touch model, I stuck with the classic one with the tiny screen and circle wheel control.  I used to love having that full of film scores and my phone being a separate thing.

But as the years went on that all changed.  Phones just got better and better and better at playing music.  It got to be annoying to always be carrying around 2 devices when 1 did literally everything the other was doing.  Now I use my phone to play music literally every day of my life and can't see what benefits having a separate device has any more

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I used to love love love love love my iPod.  I never even went for the Touch model, I stuck with the classic one with the tiny screen and circle wheel control.  I used to love having that full of film scores and my phone being a separate thing.

But as the years went on that all changed.  Phones just got better and better and better at playing music.  I grew to be annoying to always be carrying around 2 devices when 1 did literally everything the other was doing.  Now I use my phone to play music literally every day of my life and can't see what benefits having a separate device has any more

Same for me. Especially now the iPhone has such an enormous capacity… still waiting for a 1 Tb model. But I digress…

21 hours ago, carlborg said:

I wonder if the film is worth watching, even if only to identify where some changes in cues occur in tracks, etc.

I haven't seen the film either but really want to now. 

This has been online for years showing where to break up tracks:

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2017/10/images-1972.html

Though I can't vouch for its accuracy

Images is probably the most capital-A Art film Williams ever scored. Even in Altman’s filmography, it’s a pretty strange entry. Recommended for that aspect alone.