Indiana Jones 5 Spoilers & Set Photos Thread

Edmilson

On 6/8/2021 at 7:33 PM, DarthDementous said:

The budget for a single episode of TV, even one as high as The Mandalorian, still pales in comparison to the budget of a full blockbuster movie.

As a result, due to budget constraints, Luke in the Mandalorian isn’t even fully CGI - it’s a form of deepfake using ILM’s proprietary tech they’ve been developing 

Yeah, different techniques, time frames. Ant-Man and the Marvel films use Lola VFX, a studio specialized in de-aging; they do it by hand, almost like photoshopping each frame. On The Mandalorian I can't tell whether they tried to be bold and push their tech or if they rushed it carelessly and the results were less than ideal. Rogue One was a traditional CGI approach, unlike Lola, they modeled, motion captured and rendered Leia and Tarkin over a year and a half.

Only just occurred to me, we'll get new parade/march source music (maybe intertwined with score, ala Nightclub Brawl from TOD)!

I guess the question is whether Williams will write something original, or just record music that would have played at the actual event?

It probably won't be that way, but I would be more than okay with a ticker tape parade set to the ol' Raiders March, with an old Indy tired but smiling, having had secretely saved the day. Like the TOD end scene.

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

It probably won't be that way, but I would be more than okay with a ticker tape parade set to the ol' Raiders March, with an old Indy tired but smiling, having had secretely saved the day. Like the TOD end scene.

Strikes me more as a first act setpiece, maybe a foot chase with Indy being chased by spooks in a large crowd, weaving through the parade or something.

It's nice to see a return of Indy clashing with real life historical events again.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

It would have allowed Williams to get away with reusing Anthem of Evil since he barely got to use it in TROS. 

Anthem of Evil plays pretty heavily throughout TROS. Limited grand statements, but when I listen to the soundtrack it seems like I hear Anthem of Evil in almost every track on the CD.

"Since we barely got to hear it" would have been better wording on my part. At least in the mixing of the version I watched, I had difficulty actually being able to hear it except for in a handful of moments. 

It was a bad joke on my part regardless. 

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

"Since we barely got to hear it" would have been better wording on my part. At least in the mixing of the version I watched, I had difficulty actually being able to hear it except for in a handful of moments. 

It was a bad joke on my part regardless. 

Oh, you were speaking in terms of the film mix. Yeah, modern film mixes are absolutely atrocious. Compared to the sound mixes of the first films in these respective franchises (Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark), films like The Force Awakens just sound so...bad. There's just no other way to describe it.

Loved watch that video of the original parade. I’m very excited to see a new Indy adventure set in that era. 

It’s just so crazy to think that in about six years from that parade, Spielberg would have released Jaws.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:18 AM, Muad'Dib said:

The trick will be on the movements and the voice.

They can fix that though!  In Mandalorian, they perfectly de-aged Hamill's voice to match ROTJ era. 

7 hours ago, karelm said:

They can fix that though!  In Mandalorian, they perfectly de-aged Hamill's voice to match ROTJ era. 

I don't think Hamill recorded a performance and they de-aged his voice, because he was surprised when Luke showed up on The Mandalorian, which implies that he wasn't directly involved. I think we're actually seeing a form of audio deep-fake there where a neural network trained on samples of young Mark Hamill has then been set to recreate certain sentences with perhaps some additional parameters for tweaking performance (although it does sound rather robotic). You can hear a bit of audio artefacts in some of the lines.

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I don't think Hamill recorded a performance and they de-aged his voice, because he was surprised when Luke showed up on The Mandalorian, which implies that he wasn't directly involved. I think we're actually seeing a form of audio deep-fake there where a neural network trained on samples of young Mark Hamill has then been set to recreate certain sentences with perhaps some additional parameters for tweaking performance (although it does sound rather robotic). You can hear a bit of audio artefacts in some of the lines.

He was directly involved.  John Favreau talked about it here at 4 minutes in.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/video/jon-favreau-talks-season-finale-mandalorian-74839269

On 7/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, crumbs said:

Strikes me more as a first act setpiece, maybe a foot chase with Indy being chased by spooks in a large crowd, weaving through the parade or something.

It's nice to see a return of Indy clashing with real life historical events again.

Well, now we know.

Indiana Jones 5 filming in Glasgow! SPOILERS Boyd Holbrook Phoebe Waller-Bridge AMAZING PICTURES 0-47 screenshot.png

Boyd Holbrook, looking acceptable as Mutt +10 years.

And here: Mutt's stunt double on a motorcycle.

Therefore, Mutt confirmed recast with Boyd Holbrook.

The Adventures of Mutt can now be expected to return in some form :) 

Also, since Indy is on horseback, the chances for at least one statement of the Raiders March during the parade are rising.

I’m glad I watched this thread. I now have a while to convince my brain that this is mutt. I won’t spend the entire runtime of the movie trying to be convinced.

This week Lucasfilm announced there will be a special episode of the Disney Gallery docuseries on the Luke cameo due next month. Hopefully we'll get some insight into the technique and their intentions with it.

This goes without saying but I do hope they use a more mature and proven technique on this film.

I would imagine they resorted to such a technique on Mando to save time, save money, and use less resources to ultimately help keep it a secret. This last part is supported further in how those scenes were tweaked and improved after the episode was released. I would be very surprised if they use that same technique on Indy.

I think it's more likely that they'll be resorting to what ILM has continued to perfect with their work on stuff like The Irishman and the Marvel films (and more aptly perhaps what ImageEngine did with Mangold's Logan) in that there will be an active CG model imposed over the actor/stand-in because of both how much better the achievable results are and how much more flexibility you have over the end result. They might already even have a current Harrison Ford model bopping around their servers for when they worked on TFA. 

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

P.S. A final thought, on Jones being old: in East-Asian cultures it is completely normal to have stories of 80-year old monks, warlords or martial arts masters kicking ass.

I also don't have a problem with aging characters. Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea saga ends with the child character introduced in the first book in his old age. She said of the final book something along the lines of "there are not enough stories about characters aging, and we all age". So I don't mind at all an older Indy. 

Havig said that, is it just me or does Harrison look in better shape these days compared to when he filmed Indy 4? That photo posted earlier of Harrison walking around London with a sling on his arm, and before that a photo of him cyclying. He does not look his age at all.  

And thanks for all the photos. I'm here for all the spoilers I can get! Always been more of a music fan. Having said that, the Indy films - well the first three - were certainly part of my childhood. Looking forward to the movie, but looking forward to the score a million times more, and I prefer seeing all these set shots. It sets my mind wandering what possible musical gems are in store. More excited for the score and music as a result. 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, Fabulin said:

I've done a bit of digging...

and think that the film is going to have really cool aesthetics:

The "Wolfenstein" opener:

Reveal hidden contents

Wolfenstein Pt. 2

Reveal hidden contents

Cool locations:

Reveal hidden contents

Fancy old-fashioned interiors:

Reveal hidden contents

Old-fashioned New York, with an All-American parade:

Reveal hidden contents

Actors looking really good, wearing suits or uniforms in many scenes, which reminds me of that polished feel of Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill's M:I: Fallout

Reveal hidden contents

More vehicle / action eye-candy

Reveal hidden contents

Other things:

Reveal hidden contents

Mangold is doing a good job, he is an energetic director like Spielberg when the latter was young.

Showtime: The director looked in his element as he waved his hands about before the scene beganAction: Prior to the scene, director James Mangold could be seen giving the actor instructions as he aggressively ran through the band

He is certainly not a couch-sitting grandpa Lucas, and after Logan's handling of de-aging and CGI and the overall competence of Ford vs. Ferrari, I have full confidence that this film is guaranteed to be enjoyable, whether it ultimately rises to the level of the original trilogy or not (I have recently rewatched The Temple of Doom and I have to say that the bar is not always that high).

After TROS (how technically impressive that score was despite the mess and nonsense of a film it accompanied), and with Williams's recent ambitious plans (Vienna, Berlin, Boston, New York, Violin Concerto No. 2...), I think maestro is going to really make an effort to close another series of scores with one better than KOTCS. The only missing factor influencing the potential for a soaring scoring is the for now unknown editing style of the film.

P.S. A final thought, on Indiana Jones being old: in East-Asian cultures it is completely normal to have stories of 80-year old monks, warlords or martial arts masters kicking ass.

100+ Martial arts ideas | martial arts, martial, martial arts movies

People enjoy them for their symbolic value, even if a literal reading seems hard to believe. I think a ca. 70-years-old Indy, helped by guns, wits, and younger allies, is not going to look ridiculous if the fight scene choreography is done with a brain.

July 29, 2022 CANNOT COME ANY FASTER!!!

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Harrison is surely enjoying the free moments he has outside of the filming:

0iegm9umk0d71.jpg

Wonder if they’ll work in an intense bicycle chase just for him? 😃

5 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Wonder if they’ll work in an intense bicycle chase just for him? 😃

It's kinda funny to imagine Indy riding a bicycle away from bad guys. That would actually be quite fun! A nice twist on the usual motorbike/horseback formula.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Cool! So, in addition to London, what are the other locations where filming for Indy 5 has taken place, just for clarification?

Just around the UK so far.

• Glasgow and London are doubling for Manhattan (for the main story, set in the late 1960s).
  • A WW2-era train sequence was shot in North Yorkshire, presumably doubling for Nazi Germany.
  • Nazi Castle sequence was shot at Bamburgh Castle in the Scottish Highlands. Seems to be related to the Nazi train sequence.
  • Shooting at various locations in Sicily next month, then more London shooting in December.
  • Pinewood for all the soundstage work.

There was a press release indicating production was moving to Morocco in the summer but someone said on Reddit that it's not happening now :conf:

Without Morocco, the film is kinda lacking an exotic overseas location like the original trilogy (Tunisia/Sri Lanka/Jordan). Sicily feels more like a stopover.

I just hope the majority of the film isn't set in the US, or shot on soundstages. Would be nice to see Indy on a tropical island or a snowy location for the third act.

Some details about the upcoming Sicily shoot.

Preparations are underway for the colossal with Harrison Ford. A maxi production worth over 200 million dollars that is preparing to shoot some scenes of the saga in Sicily starring the archaeologist born from the imagination of Steven Spielberg.

And it seems that even the director 4 times Oscar will be in our part to supervise the shooting, albeit, this time, as an executive producer since the direction, for this fifth chapter, has been entrusted to James Mangold. Anyway, everything is ready to start shooting early next week in Syracuse.

Then, gradually, we will move to Western Sicily; from Cefalù to the province of Trapani. Segesta, as repeatedly told in recent months by the news, but also in Castellamare del Golfo and then settled for almost a week at the Tonnara del Secco in San Vito Lo Capo where the production is preparing a set in full Hollywood style complete with a reconstruction of two towers that look like a castle on the sea and harnesses in the water that will “anchor” two 1960s boats - when the fifth episode is set… - on dry land.

Finally, Marsala where, even here, a scene worthy of Indiana Jones should take place with the sinking of a vintage yacht of about 20 meters. The work is expected to finish in late October or early November at the latest, however, over 600 people will participate in various capacities in the production. Currently, about 100 have already arrived in Trapani for a few weeks, engaged in the preparatory work; the industrial area was chosen for the headquarters - for stage warehouses, casting and storage - while the offices will be in a building in front of Villa Margherita.

Almost all the main hotels in the city, and some luxury villas in the area, have already been booked by the film's logistics; it is estimated that the cost of overnight production in these months would be around 2 million euros. This weekend, however, three charters are expected that should land another 450 people from the film crew on the island. In short, we're almost there for Professor Jones; in addition to the American star, the other Spanish superstar Antonio Banderas should also arrive, joining a stellar cast that we will be able to admire on the big screen from July next year.

https://www.telesudweb.it/28-09-2021/pronti-per-le-riprese-di-indiana-jones-5

So it's rumoured Spielberg himself will be on-set for this part of the shoot. Seems surprising unless The Fablemans has wrapped photography (which is possible I guess?)

I guess if there was one block of photography you'd personally attend, it's a month-long shoot in Sicily :lol:

Huh.  I wouldn't think Spielberg would be done with The Fabelmans yet, but who really knows.  They only did a little outdoor shooting in LA like that beach shoot we got lots of pictures from, but very little has come out from the Arizona shoot so I figured they were still doing interiors and that more exteriors would be forthcoming.  But who knows.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Huh.  I wouldn't think Spielberg would be done with The Fabelmans yet, but who really knows.  They only did a little outdoor shooting in LA like that beach shoot we got lots of pictures from, but very little has come out from the Arizona shoot so I figured they were still doing interiors and that more exteriors would be forthcoming.  But who knows.

It's possible all the interiors were done in LA when the news was otherwise quiet around shooting?

But yeah, who knows. Spielberg's a fast shooter and they started more than two months ago, but COVID complicates things. They might be filming in staggered blocks or something.

Is the video game canon? But yeah it's starting to look like the logical plot. 

Only problem is KOCS already did the lost city plot with El Dorado, albeit poorly.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Harrison's in Sicily and looks great!

ot0iakdc2ur71.jpg

Areas of Cefalu being transformed to be period-accurate, for shooting later this month:

View_of_Cefalu_from_above_(44945905581).

d740ca77-city-42162-167f60dfd0f.jpg?crop

image.png

image.png

Piazza Duomo in Cefalu is being transformed into a 1960s era setting with vintage cars:

cathedral-basilica-cefalu-square-piazza-

a-travel-guide-for-sicily-italy-wheres-m

Meniace Castle along the coast of Syracuse, where gunboats and horses have been spotted, so likely a big action sequence here:

04_01_19-12_19_39-Wc70858e7442ab79dd536c

The_Castle_of_Maniace,_Ortigia,_Siracusa

image.png

Tonnara Del Secco is being dressed with watchtowers:

image.png

Tonnara-di-San-Vito-lo-capo-05.jpg&size=

They're filming at the Ear of Dionysius, which has been transformed into a mine:

IW_OrecchioDionisio_01.jpg

Also at the Neapolis Archeological Park.

hermes-ancient-theatre-syracuse.jpg

And some type of 1960s market at the Manor of Oritizia:

e05da37d11862b949e62312cd880c005.jpg

Seems like a lot of the film will take place around the Mediterranean.

Did I mention how excited I am for Indiana Jones 5? This is awesome!

The locations definitely capture that classic Indy vibe, Mangold's done well. Only disappointment is they already spent a previous film in Italy but this looks distinct from Venice (and it's a different era, given the 30 year gap). 

Still would've loved an adventure set in Russia (huge missed opportunity for KOCS), Africa, China or SE Asia (the temples in Cambodia) but sadly not to be.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is the video game canon? But yeah it's starting to look like the logical plot. 

ya know, it's time like this where i wish the raven forums were up.

according to this link:  https://indianajones.fandom.com/wiki/Indycron_continuity_database

it's considered 'C and S' canon, below the tv show and well below the movies.

apparently Lucas cut 'Old Indy' from the canon, hence the dvds not having those bookends.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And no eyepatch! 

Did the Ford segments get cut from the Blues episode too?? 

i believe he is on the dvds.  i do have them, but haven't watched the actual dvds in a long time, as i just usually watch them on youtube --- which pretty much are the exact edits from the dvds.

so yes. he's on it.  99% sure lol