John Williams available in Dolby Atmos and lossless via Apple Music

rpvee

Apple just unveiled Dolby Atmos versions of music through Apple Music. It allows music to basically be in surround sound, even through stereo headphones.

A version of the Imperial March by the LA Philharmonic is featured on Apple’s big playlist of examples of the technology. In terms of JW albums, the only Star Wars soundtrack in Atmos at the moment is The Rise of Skywalker, which doesn’t really sound “surrounding” but certainly sounds like it has a wider soundstage (that’s what I’m generally finding with the Atmos tech so far).

Still exploring if other albums of his have been mastered for Atmos. Apple is also featuring lossless versions of pretty much all music now.

Let’s discuss!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You also only got two ears?

And as music keeps raising in definition, my ears goes the other way around!

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It is actual surround sound mixes or that pseudo spatial thing like what Windows 10 has? Anyone willing to do an examination?

I can’t speak to if it’s actual 5.1 channels if played from an Apple TV through a system, but I know that for the simulated surround sound on headphones, they’re actual new mixes, not just thrown through a processor.

Just adding that the LA Philharmonic and Vienna albums are in Atmos.

Just checked it out tonight, Tidal lossless (not mqa) still sounds better to me. It is twice as much money, though, so it might not be worth it for some.

8 hours ago, EdG said:

I'd be interested in the experiences of those who have been listening.

If you listen to anything requiring gapless playback (plenty of classical music, live albums, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc.), don’t bother: switching on lossless with Apple Music currently breaks gapless, introducing a noticeable stutter between tracks meant to flow seamlessly.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

1. Switched on music streaming

2. Realized that music streaming makes me buy even more CDs

3. Getting poor and poorer

👌

FIXED!

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

If you listen to anything requiring gapless playback (plenty of classical music, live albums, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc.), don’t bother: switching on lossless with Apple Music currently breaks gapless, introducing a noticeable stutter between tracks meant to flow seamlessly.

That's... annoying. Good to know.

25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Spotify plays gapless albums perfectly.

And so does Apple Music with the lossless setting turned off. 🤷‍♂️

Tidal does this, too. Very annoying. They also frequently get the tracks mixed up on large classical compilations--hope you know your BWV numbers because you're going to have to piece it together yourself.:bash:  If it didn't sound so good, I wouldn't bother, honestly.

That said, as a young music student in college, I would have killed to have the better part of the recorded history of music at my finger tips. Don't knock it, how many young people get exposed to music they would never otherwise listen to due to a lack of access? Streaming services and the record companies do need to stop screwing over the artists though, for sure.

• 1 year later...