John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter @ Carnegie Hall (New York, NY) - April 21, 2022

TownerFan

I wonder if Williams has adapted any more film themes for her? There's still the arrangement he made for her of Han Solo and The Princess that was never recorded. A CD with the new concerto and some new arrangements would make my year!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Where? What? WHAT??

How do you know?

Anne-Sophie posted some photos of her sheet music as she was just beginning to work on the pieced and that title was visible. I'll try dig it up...

The photo doesn't show up now, but here's the post that first mentioned it, and I remember seeing the pic. It seems like it was amongst the first batch of arrangements she received and for whatever reason, it was dropped - perhaps they thought they had enough Star Wars pieces.

Here you go... I went digging on Instagram. The sheet music on the left at the start of the video, you can see the title ends with "....the Princess". 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsvqs0mnfsq/?utm_medium=copy_link

You're welcome... and I'd so love to hear it. That's my favorite Star Wars love theme, and that video is the only evidence the arrangement exists^. 

Man, so much good JW stuff coming out and concerts coming up.  I feel very privileged to be be able to witness part of this round of appearances, but I still wish I could see the new concerto performed live.  Hopefully it gets a West Coast performance.  

This wouldn’t be JW’s first appearance at Carnegie Hall, would it? I think just to see his and Mutter’s names on the concert poster outside the box office, with a large “sold out” sticker slapped across it, would be pretty amazing. It’d be another totem of his conquest of the classical/art music world, like that time he dropped by the Musikverein and spent the weekend bringing down the house.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

The amount of stuff JW has coming up means he must be in pretty good health. Performing at Carnegie Hall after completing his fifth Indiana Jones film at the age of 90 is impressive.

Yeah, that's an understatement. Morricone had a pretty busy concert schedule at 90 too, but he seemed much frailer at the time. My own grandfather didn't even make it beyond 86.

• 2 months later...

I am seriously considering planning a trip to New York for this concert. Seeing the Maestro conduct at Carnegie Hall! I need to find out how much a ticket costs, then figure out a good flight plan... Either that or I'll go by train. Then I have to figure how to get to Carnegie Hall, renting a car; figure the cost for that, maybe stay for one night at a reasonably priced hotel... So much planning!

Thanks. Seriously, though, I was born on Huntington, Long Island. My family and I moved to Florida when I was four. I’ve only returned to New York three or four times for extended family reunions; I’ve never been to Carnegie Hall before, much less visited New York City.

• 2 weeks later...

Public tickets for this are now on sale! Originally got Orchestra row P online, but my call to the box office was answered right after and they were able to get third row seats! Off to the side, but third row is third row. Surreal I’ll be seeing the maestro in such an equally legendary venue.

I have to ask. Tickets are on sale. Say I purchase two tickets (all I need, really), but something unexpected comes up down the line that would, God forbid, prevent me from having to attend. Are the tickets refundable prior to a specific deadline? I have to know so I can start making preparations. I’m also a bit frustrated because I did not know tickets for this would go on sale NOW when I haven’t even had time to plan the trip.

40 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I have to ask. Tickets are on sale. Say I purchase two tickets (all I need, really), but something unexpected comes up down the line that would, God forbid, prevent me from having to attend. Are the tickets refundable prior to a specific deadline? I have to know so I can start making preparations. I’m also a bit frustrated because I did not know tickets for this would go on sale NOW when I haven’t even had time to plan the trip.

Here’s info on their refund policy. Could also be worth giving them a call.

https://www.carnegiehall.org/About/Financials-and-Policies/Ticketing-Policies

I'll likely be in NYC at the time, but yikes, the prices are high and the seat selection at this point is pretty bad:

https://www.carnegiehall.org/calendar/2022/04/21/across-the-stars-the-music-of-john-williams-0700pm

I guess that's what happens when it's a one-night-only concert. 

I do hope to see JW perform live for a second time (I saw him in Chicago in 2018), but I'll probably have to pass on this one. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Could someone help me understand the difference between this concert on 4/21 at Carnegie Hall and the 4/19 concert at Verizon Hall. The details seem a little vague but they sound like they are the same concert (Williams conducting, Philadelphia Orchestra, song selection, etc) besides being in two different locations. If they are pretty much the same why would the 21st be completely sold out while the 19th has plenty of tickets available? The 19th also isn't listed on the upcoming concerts page but I wasn't sure how up to date that was kept.

I've never been to a concert conducted by Williams and I thought this year might be my best opportunity to go. This would still be a pretty big trip for me so I would want to know for sure what I'm buying tickets for.

Link to the 19th concert: https://www.philorch.org/performances/our-season/events-and-tickets/2021-22-season/winter-spring/an-evening-with-john-williams-and-anne-sophie-mutter/

You answered your own question.  Williams and Mutter are doing the same pieces with the same orchestra, on two different dates, in two different locations.

The reason one is sold out and the other is not, is that tickets have been on sale for the April 21 Carnegie Hall show for months, while tickets for the April 19 Verizon Hall show only went up for sale recently

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! If anyone needs to sell their tickets for this performance, please contact me at dylanjlennon@gmail.com. I will be in NYC for these dates and would love to take my partner to this show. 

• 3 weeks later...

SPOILER

Set list has been added to the Carnegie Hall website:

ALL-JOHN WILLIAMS PROGRAM

"Sound the Bells!" 

Violin Concerto No. 2 (NY Premiere) - 32 mins long

"Flight to Neverland" from Hook

Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

"Donnybrook" from Far & Away

Theme from Cinderella Liberty

Hedwig’s Theme from Harry Potter

"Throne Room" and Finale from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope