"The Train" (Horner, The Legend of Zorro) vs. The Force Awakens

RomanticStrings

Does ~8:00 and then again at ~8:45 and on, but most especially at ~9:15 on in "The Train" (Horner, The Legend of Zorro) sound like music for the Resistance in Star Wars: The Force Awakens?

For me, I now hear those strings at ~1:00 in "Scherzo for X-Wings" as castanets!

It's the subsequent stuff, closer to ~9:30, those trumpet blasts on one note, that do it for me. I realized it's more Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, though. The former relation is certainly possible, though the latter film was out the same year.

Clemmenson claimed The Train sounded like more of a Williams action cue. I don't agree with that but I do agree that it was a rather intense action cue from him in 2005 with a lot of moving parts, counter-point and theme interaction. Its quality took me by surprise but did not make me think of another composer

Not the first time JWfan has speculated about this particular cue!

To complicate matters further, I wonder if Gordy Haab had Horner's "The Ride" and/or "The Train" from Zorro 1/2 in his ear when writing "Han's Kessel Run" -- which I further suspect Williams had in his ear when writing "The Adventures of Han." 

2 hours ago, RomanticStrings said:

It's the subsequent stuff, closer to ~9:30, those trumpet blasts on one note, that do it for me. I realized it's more Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, though. The former relation is certainly possible, though the latter film was out the same year.

You're referring to the trumpets at 9:59, right? Yes, those sound like pure Williams for sure. Very little else in that track does, though, at least to my ears.

I was just listening to this cue yesterday. Mind blowing. 

Going from Mask of Zorro to Legend of Zorro, the overall feel of the scores seems to change. Don’t know if Horner leveled-up in his writing between 1998 and 2005. I don’t know if Horner got new or orchestrators or what. But Legend of Zorro certainly is a much more flashy score than MoZ I’d say. 

Bring on the expansions :)

Wasn't this Zorro cue ghost-written by Conrad Pope? I remember reading something like that a long time ago.

Edit: Ah, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread :lol:

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Falstaft beat me to it with the link to the fifteen year old thread, so here's a contemporaneous one from FSM (with classic Ford Thaxton):

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=42799&archive=0

I am 2 for 2 in missing old posts by not searching well enough...

3 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

I believe the comments from Neil S. Bulk on the FSM thread; the question is, who is 'harryfrishberg'?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/profile/1328-harryfrishberg/

On 6/9/2021 at 11:36 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Wasn't this Zorro cue ghost-written by Conrad Pope?

The first part is Horner (certainly the first 4-5 minutes), the last 3-5 minutes *might* be a case of ghostwriting, which *might* explain the Battle of the Heroes licks.