What is the best solo violin focussed score apart from "Schindler's List"

GerateWohl

What is the best solo violin focussed score apart from "Schindler's List"  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best solo violin focussed score apart from "Schindler's List"

• The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Miklós Rózsa
    • The Village - James Newton Howard
    • Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli
    • any other (excluding Schindler's List)

I was recently thinking, that I find all the scores mentioned in the poll extraordinarily good. And if I would have put Schindler's List to the poll in this JW fan forum it would have probably won easily. So I explicitely left it out. But that makes the decision for me which I like best very difficult. They all three have a very special place in my collection so it is a very hard choice. But that might make it even more interesting to choose.

Here some samples:

Of the selections in the poll, it's a VERY close race between THE VILLAGE and JANE EYRE. The latter is Marianelli's finest work, the former is one of JNH's finest. But ultimately, I voted for THE VILLAGE.

Corigliano's THE RED VIOLIN is pretty good, although a bit rough around the edges.

I must confess, for me this is really a tough choice. I like all of them in their own way. As a traditionalist I tend to the Rózsa score. But the others are great, too. 

I also thought about Red Violin, but just by the name. I don't know the score.

3 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Memoirs of a Geisha is the best solo violin focussed score. I even prefer it to Schindler's List but giving that it's also cello focussed I don't know if you would count it here

Geisha never felt like a violin focussed score. But still I would prefer the four mentioned on top.

14 minutes ago, Romão said:

The Red Violin

This. Though I find the actual score less accomplished than the masterful Chaconne that came out of it.