So, THIS is now a thing... (Anime Lord of the Rings prequel)

Chen G.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/lord-of-the-rings-anime-film-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-new-line-1234773024/

New Line and Warner Animation anime title The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. I’m told that the Oscar-winning feature architects Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh are not involved with the project as we speak, but that will be determined down the road. Oscar-winning Lord of the Rings: Return of the King scribe Philippa Boyens will be a consultant on the new project directed by Kenji Kamiyama. [...] The War of the Rohirrim focuses on a character from the book’s appendix, the mighty King of Rohan, Helm Hammerhand, and a legendary battle which helped shaped Middle-earth heading into LOTR. The anime pic will expand the untold story behind the fortress of Helm’s Deep, delving into the life and bloodsoaked times of Hammerhand. [...]  Joseph Chou (Blade Runner: Black Lotus) will produce. Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance) are writing.

Also from Hollywood Reporter:

Jackson is not involved with Rohirrim but has blessed its making, according to insiders.

Not sure how I feel about this. A live-action show about the creation of the Rings of Power? Sure. But an anime film? Really?! I mean, I enjoy Ralph Bakshi's film, but mostly for its 70s quaintness. This, though? Hmm...

I just commented on this a few minutes ago in the other thread. I didn't have the heart to make a new thread about it.  I'm surprised...I figured you'd be thrilled!

Anyway, so much for TORN's reporting that Amazon owns all things Tolkien now, given that this has nothing to do with the Prime series. Should be interesting to see how they spin this.

If we're being honest, I think a wild animated Lord of the Rings battle sounds pretty radical.  I mean, who knows how it'll actually turn out, but the idea is sound.  Color me intrigued.

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, The_Trout said:

If we're being honest, I think a wild animated Lord of the Rings battle sounds pretty radical.

Bakshi was way ahead of you man. That rotoscoping was trippy.

8 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Bakshi was way ahead of you man.

The whole movie is rotoscoped. The scenes in question are solarized.

Hopefully this means we'll at least get some new arrangements of Shore's glorious Rohan theme.

Hopefully it does not mean a Grima/Alfrid family origin story.

PS. Hello from a long time lurker (or in deference to Gollum, "sneaker")...and weekend denizen of Rhovanion, ME's most useless land!

2 minutes ago, QuintsTherapist said:

Hopefully this means we'll at least get some new arrangements of Shore's glorious Rohan theme.

Hopefully it does not mean a Grima/Alfrid family origin story.

PS. Hello from a long time lurker (or in deference to Gollum, "sneaker")...and weekend denizen of Rhovanion, ME's most useless land!

🤔

I think if any extra-filmic series is to be broached it would be an anime series. Anime isn't a childish thing that it has been unfairly criticized for and I think given the more stylized approach we might see some genuine creative input into this show that something like live-action can't capture without coming off ironically 'cartoony'. 

I would like to know if Howard Shore might be interested in scoring this project and whether or not he was asked...

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

I would like to know if Howard Shore might be interested in scoring this project and whether or not he was asked...

I was wondering that as well. It has Shore's librettist Philippa Boyens onboard, so maybe?

My guess is that Boyens, as a "consultant", is there to add name credibility to the project (ala John Howe's brief tenure on Amazon's fan production). I doubt she'll be seriously involved on a day to day basis.

28 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

ala John Howe's brief tenure on Amazon's fan production

I don't for a second believe John Howe's involvement with Amazon's show has been as brief as TORn claim it has been.

Even if he is no longer involved (which I doubt), conceptual designers usually complete all their work during preproduction. The Lord of the Rings was an outlier in this regard, and even then Howe was mostly back in Switzerland while they were shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/06/2021 at 12:41 AM, Chen G. said:

I don't particularly like anime, so...

I'm a big fan of Anime, personally I recommended to watch some series. and also Anime describes the Japaneses culture.

Currently I'm watching the Naruto Shippuden, and also I have a filler list to skip the unwanted episodes.

https://thebestofotaku.com/naruto-shippuden-filler-list/

My last anime movie was the "Berserk: Golden Age Arc I - The Egg of the King"

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm more into live-action, so the Amazon show (which just dropped some of its characters) is more intriguing to me than is this odd spinoff.

I much prefer live action as well, but at the moment I have little hope Amazon's LOTR show will fare much better than their Wheel of Time show, which is...not good.

Haven't seen Wheel of Time yet...

Been definitely hearing mixed things, and for sure there are things about the Lord of the Rings show recently that had led me to raise an eyebrow...or two. But there's also some stuff I like. The shots we've seen of the sets look quite nice.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Jay said:

Who's gonna score this?

2024 is plenty time for Shore to hop-on, especially since one of his great champions - Philippa Boyens - is producing. Howe seems to be doing both, too.

It's funny, knowing what I know about anime (and I know a lot about anime) a war epic with numerous mounted warriors clashing is last thing I would expect an anime studio to tackle, given the chance to adapt Tolkien's work. Anime is notorious for its cost-saving measures, and less-than-stellar CG crowds.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finding herself in an increasingly desperate situation, Hera, the daughter of Helm, must summon the will to lead the resistance against a deadly enemy intent on their total destruction.

Well you didn't have to be an esteemed Hollywood writer to guess they'd come up with something like this now, did you?

She's not replacing Frealaf, though: https://redanianintelligence.com/2022/06/16/the-witcher-actor-joins-the-lord-of-the-rings-war-of-the-rohirrim-animated-film/

Honestly, a solid cast and I think expanding on the situation Helm's daughter finds herself in, especially within the context of Eowyn narrating, could make a good female tragedy.

And it goes without saying, Brian Cox is a tremendous casting coup.

• 2 months later...
On 29/08/2022 at 6:20 PM, TolkienSS said:

At this point, Howard Shore should say "F all of you, I'm writing my own Silmarillion symphony".

I’d be over the moon for this!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recognize the name because he worked on the source music from the first Hobbit film! According to his website he wrote additional music for Brian Eno’s Lovely Bones score as well, which I did not know about.

• 6 months later...

Mark Wilsher is music editor again, appearantly. With Miranda Otto reportedly due to record a little more voiceover narration to a cut of the film in the coming months, I assume they have scoring sessions booked.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1157795/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr17

• 3 months later...

Hadn't realised this got pushed back to next December, which is disappointing though unsurprising. At a year out, I'm really curious about what the animation style's going to look like, and I wonder how much we'll see in the first teaser (whenever we get it). Against my better judgement, I'm somewhat optimistic about this, given the pedigree of some of the people involved and its complete involvement with the Amazon abomination.

Hopefully it avoids some of the pitfalls of that show.

11 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Hopefully it avoids some of the pitfalls of that show.

I mean, its sooo different in premise, scope, medium...I'm having a hard time believing any similarity to the show will crop-up. The show went for the Full Middle-Earth ExperienceTM, so you HAD to watch (checks list) Orcs, Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits, Wizards, Men, and the odd Monster. Rohirrim does have cursory appearances from Orcs and a Mumak and - I'm willing to bet good money - Saruman. But its not cutting across five storylines all across Middle Earth, and doesn't have any of the metaphysical nonesense of that show: its a story of Rohan, being invaded by Dunlendings, and them being expunged with great loses. 

It also doesn't have that visual identity crisis of "Well, we want to do a prequel to the Peter Jackson film, but we legally can't, so we'll make it kind-of a prequel and kind of not." If the choice is between the real deal, and the look-alike...

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

If the choice is between the real deal, and the look-alike...

The "real deal" will mean sticking with the tone and ascetics of the New Line films, along with staying true to Tolkien's story and spirit. There's actually a very good framework for self-contained story there (tragic though it may be) for them to build on...much more than Amazon has.

Admittedly, I haven't been following this one closely. Boyens involvement, and Cox in the lead is certainly promising. Any rumours on if PJ is dipping his toe in water on this at all? And on who's playing Haleth & Hama?

Of course, I'd prefer a live-action film, but perhaps this is WB testing the audience's appetite for more Middle-Earth on screen.