So, THIS is now a thing... (Anime Lord of the Rings prequel)

Chen G.

Okay, so what to make of this? Stephen is going back to New Zealand: https://www.instagram.com/stephengallaghermusic/p/C5HJVHLyeIb/

Now, when he left for London, Gallagher had only recored 80 minutes of music for a film of some 130 minutes. Now, there is the distinct option that that's all the music he wrote for the film, which is not impossible being that this is the first project of this scale for Gallagher. I'm less taken with it, because if this was a wrap, he'd probably say so. 

Another reason why I think its less likely, is this (clearly joking) comment from Stephen: "Unfortunately this trusty model’s high ‘A’ key is now not working (after many years of being thrown in a backpack or suitcase) so I guess this means the the rest of the score has to be in E-flat minor…"

Of course, there's the possibility that Stephen had recorded additional string and wind parts in London - he certainly recorded more crumhorn parts in London - which would amount to a more substantial length of score. But I feel like we'd know if he drafted another body of strings and woodwinds. He had been in London an awful long time, but from watching his posts its more that he wanted to make such a long trip worth his while, rather than necessarily being in the weeds recording: in fact, we know they went into mixing shortly after he arrived: his visit to Air Lyndhurst a few days back seems to have not entailed any recording being done there.

Another possibility is that the film is not entirely "locked" and so they're recording the score in a couple of separate sessions. This seems supported by this comment from producer Joseph Chou:

image.png?ex=66172fb3&is=6604bab3&hm=48e

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing, but that's not new (although I suppose its nice to have a confirmation with the state New Line is in these days). Rohirrim had been delayed to the holidays a while back, due to the actor's strike.