John Powell's PAYCHECK (2003) - 2021 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paycheck: The Deluxe Edition (Music From The Motion Picture) (2-CD) Regular price $ 24.98   John Powell burst into film scoring with a magnificent, emotional and modern soundtrack to John

Like the Solo Deluxe, album versions of cues appear to be absent, so the optimal listening experience will require both:   Disc One: 1. Paycheck: Main Title From The Motion Picture (3:29) 

Based on the length, I'm assuming it's "Rachel's Party" from the OST - a string quartet version of the love theme which isn't used in the movie.   There is a scene with a string quartet on-s

Anyone know what Uma's Tune is?

I like how John Powell's own 5 Cat Studios is producing and mastering these new expansions of his old scores.  Since HTTYD showed up on digital platforms I expect this will too eventually (but I'm happily buying the CD edition now).

I wonder why only Cary is mentioned as an exec producer for Varese, but not @BryonDavis as well?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone know what Uma's Tune is?

Based on the length, I'm assuming it's "Rachel's Party" from the OST - a string quartet version of the love theme which isn't used in the movie.

There is a scene with a string quartet on-screen, but they play something else. Disc one, track five ("Party Of Two") is an overlay to that source music, but swapping this for "Rachel's Party/Uma's Tune" is a better listen away from the film.

I'm not sure if "Rachel's Party" was originally composed as source music for that scene - I'd suspect not, as it would stand out quite a bit. So perhaps it was always intended as an album arrangement. The fact it as originally called "Rachel's Party" makes little sense, as while there is a party scene in the film, it's not for her!

What makes the separated OST versions of Mirror Message and Impostor better than the combined & longer film versions?

The OST was released at a time when albums were cut off at 30/45/60 minutes - 45 minutes did not do this score justice!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What makes the separated OST versions of Mirror Message and Impostor better than the combined & longer film versions?

I personally combined the Mirror Message and Imposter and also the two-part Hog Chase into two single tracks - I'll never listen to one half without the other.

The Deluxe (film version) of Imposter is slightly extended, but it doesn't add any meaningful new material - the album version plays better for pace.

Hog Chase will be the same on both versions, but I prefer it as a single track.

The film version of Wolfe Pack has a drawn out intro (which the album did a good job of shortening), but contains some good extra material on the end. This is one of few examples where each version does something a little better than the other.