John Powell's PAYCHECK (2003) - 2021 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Just finished this. I can definitely echo @Jay's earlier comments; I can't believe this is the first time I've given this score a listen of any kind!

It's a ton of fun and indeed I really like the action music. There's some really fun grove going in some of the tracks. Hot Seat, Twenty Items, the Hog Chase cues, Bio Lab Bash....all super fun, and the softer cues all have something interesting to enjoy as well. I enjoy the piano throughout the score. 

The drum programming and electronics are mixed well with the orchestra and a few times I did get the feeling that John Powell could most definitely do great things with a Bond score. Actually, as much as I love the Arnold Bond scores, I think Paycheck is an example of a better mix between electronics and orchestra. I don't dislike the electornics in TWINE or DAD, but there are times I kind of wish I could hear the orchestra more OR that there had been 'orchestra only' alternates included on the expansions. 

Anyway, really great listen and I like that it's not taken too seriously, and that there's room for a lot of fun, intricate writing. 

That orchestra only then synth only bonus track of TWINE's Gunbarrel cue is so great, I'd love to get more of that kind of stuff

As for Paycheck, yea - as cool as the action music is, I find myself loving the piano parts in between just as much.  What a cool score.

And I haven't even heard the Deluxe Edition yet! USPS tracking says it won't be here until Tuesday...

12 hours ago, Jay said:

That orchestra only then synth only bonus track of TWINE's Gunbarrel cue is so great, I'd love to get more of that kind of stuff

Yes! I did express some disappointment the DAD expanded score didn't contain this for major cues - in the film, some cues had their electronics removed entirely. But apparently they couldn't find these versions when assembling the album. A shame.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:06 PM, Jay said:

I am seriously impressed with the action music in this score.  I can't believe I never knew this score before this announcement!

One of my faves. I pushed Cary for over a year to do this one. When we met with JP he was interested in doing it so glad it all worked out.

Did he bring that big fluffy dog of his to the meeting? 

On 6/29/2021 at 10:32 PM, Anthony said:

Let's hope Williams contributes a theme for a Bond movie. Maybe that will entice Powell to join in! :D

Perhaps Monty Norman could be persuaded to write one.

7 hours ago, BryonDavis said:

Yep. 

Amazing 

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday!  Can't wait to finally hear it!

• 1 month later...

I took the shrinkwrap off this morning, and listened to the first 40 minutes or so on my way to work.  What a fun ride that was!

I REALLY like the mixing of this album; The electronics sound spectacular (the thumping bass in particular) and blend in so well with the orchestra.  It's very pleasing to listen to.

My car displays CD-Text, and I noticed that they put the reel/part numbers into that!  So just like HTTYD and Solo, I guess that is information Powell likes including.  Though it's funny in this case it's not on the back cover or in the booklet anywhere - it's only in the CD-Text.

• 2 weeks later...

I should have mentioned that I took the shrinkwrap off mine and listened to it in the car the other week.  I REALLY like this score!

I really liked the flow of the album.  The way it opens strong, then builds and builds and builds ands builds to the great Hog Chase, then settles down again before building back for for the finale is terrific.

What I enjoyed most beyond the writing is the mixing; This album is incredibly satisfyingly mixed, where the orchestral parts and electronic parts each sound so terrific, and especially sound good when both are doing something at the same time.  Nothing is ever struggling to be heard, it all sounds so great!  I loved the way the deep notes thwomped through my car's speakers.

The liner notes by Brian Satterwhite were..... ok.  For a while, I thought I was accidentally reading a booklet on Face/Off, he spends SOOO much time talking about that film and score.  I guess it kinda makes sense since that was the first Powell/Woo collaboration, but eventually I had to wonder if Satterwhite just liked that score more and figured he'd never have another chance to talk about it or something.

Overall, just a great release, and a fun new discovery by Powell for me.  I've still never heard the OST album, so I had no notions in my head at all about what's "new" and what's already released or anything, so can truly say the new album flows very well.  No dull moments, all good Powell!