LOKI - show and score SPOILERS ALLOWED for aired episodes

Jay

They made an entire video to announce that Loki episodes will drop on Wednesdays instead of Fridays

Hope Twitter doesn’t spoil me by Friday night!

Interesting move on Disney’s part.  I wonder if they’re going to abandon the Friday drop day and have stuff coming out all through the week

We watch them together and my spouse goes to bed early on work nights because she works at 6-something.  Our team also does Zoom trivia every Wednesday night, which snuffs out an early watch.

Not too bad!  Back in the before times we went every week at a sports bar and made it to their tournament of champions (across all of the trivia company’s bars and restaurants) where we placed third.  We’ve been doing this Zoom thing every week basically since the lockdown with a different group of friends and we are the winningest team, but he did a 1 year anniversary tournament of champions and we placed third in that too.  Our team chokes under pressure when they amp up the difficulty, I guess!

Btw @Jayor anyone else, if you’re into trivia and are looking for something to do or want to play against us, I can link you to my buddy Alan’s.  It’s every Wednesday.  It’s 10 rounds of 5 questions each, and usually runs from 9-11pm EST which includes 5 breaks to talk through answers with your team (although my team answers together on Discord as the rounds go and uses the breakout room breaks just to bullshit) .  There is no prize for winning except bragging rights and it’s free to play (although there is a suggested $5 PayPal donation since this is my buddy’s only income since March of last year).  Every other week is general knowledge trivia, and the alternate weeks are themed (this week is just movies, which he does once every month or two - other previous themes included the MCU, Lord of the Rings (books and movies), Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Disney, etc).

I'd imagine they moved it due to The Bad Batch and wanting to spread out their shows rather than have them all dump on the same day. With the show airing during the summer, Wednesdays are probably a better night to attract the family audience they want with Loki rather than Fridays when people are going out and doing things.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like that the first 3 D+ MCU shows seem to have a quite a different feel to each one - the movies sometimes felt same-y

I am hoping, given the popularity, that this will lead to the movies following suit with different tones and ideas.

I honestly am okay with how the MCU is gone. It's a cinematic universe, it should all feel like it goes together. Some people find this "same-y" but I just found this as part of the plan I do admit that things like getting rid of talent like Edgar Wright definitely is overstepping, but overall, I think they made the right calls with how it was executed. I was mostly in it for the characters and popcorn fun by the end.

Now that Endgame and Far From Home have come and gone and that story is "over" though, I think they're going to have to start innovating a bit and try new things or I am not going to be interested in the new stuff.

I like that the MCU films are joined by plot and characters, not style and tone.  It completely works that Ant-man and Guardians are comedies while (the first two) Thors and the Captain Americas are more serious, because it's the universe that's the same.

This is the mistake DC made, (initially) trying to make them all have the same look and feel to them

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I like that the MCU films are joined by plot and characters, not style and tone.  It completely works that Ant-man and Guardians are comedies while (the first two) Thors and the Captain Americas are more serious, because it's the universe that's the same.

This is the mistake DC made, (initially) trying to make them all have the same look and feel to them

I don't mind a similar look and feel, but I think that's different than tone (comedy vs serious). I'm more talking about the way they look and feel (like their vibe and the color palettes).

I think there is certainly a valid reason to want things taking place in the same Universe to feel like one complete piece. I think the main differences that come in in Guardians and Ant-Man are in the writing. Guardians is certainly more colorful in many areas, but I think that was a conscious choice to make space a more colorful and vibrant place. I think both Ant-Man films look like all the other Marvel films. Which, again, I don't mind. I can definitely see the reasoning for wanting these films to feel like part of the cohesive whole through the way they look and the general vibe and I think for the most part, everything does feel like that.

I do think now that they've ended the first part of the big story and seem to be gearing up for multiverse stories that it's the perfect opportunity to break that look and feel mold and get some more creative and out there stuff going.

I actually think DC's mistake was far more to do with very poor writing and very pretentious storytelling. I'm someone who doesn't have a problem with Snyder's look that he goes for and have way more issue with the absolutely bone-headed writing in MoS, BvS, and Suicide Squad. If the movies actually supported the look they had with smart, thoughtful, and actually darker writing then I think they would've been fine and could've even been great. But they simply wanted to reach for the stars by only using cheap tricks to make it look like they might actually grab one.

• 3 weeks later...

First episode of Loki was amazing. Tom Hiddlestone is betyer than ever in the role. The other castmember like Wilson & Mbata-Raw are also very good.

I have some theories on the show, about the villain and maybe the bigger picture, but won't share already. But I think this will be the best MCU series to date.

And the score by Natalie Holt is terrific. New sound for the MCU. Curious how it will evolve during the show

If the other Disney+ Marvel shows are any indication, this will likely have an anti-climactic / not nearly as good as the rest of the show ending. Gonna keep myself cautious about getting too invested or excited about this one. Glad to hear it starts good though. 

It was OK. Liked the Kafka-esque touches but the exposition is bit heavy-handed. At this stage I'm not fully on board but it might go either way. 

Karol

I think the first episode was very promising, and the score is good!  Quite a few moments I took notice of during the show and a nice end credits piece.  Looks like the score is by Natalie Holt, whose work I had never heard before. Looking forward to picking this up.

I think the premiere was a little weak, but actually made me very excited for the series itself. 

And I agree the score really stood out in a good way. 

On 6/10/2021 at 2:16 AM, Jules said:

I think the premiere was a little weak, but actually made me very excited for the series itself. 

That's ... unusual.

Looks like the score will get the same treatment as The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (with the first soundtrack being released in july)

I still like the sound of this a lot.

I like the score, to bad that it is so well hidden.

However the show is to me clearly the best Marvel show so far. Great writing, great acting, great plot, great direction... in short GREAT!

18 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I like the score, to bad that it is so well hidden.

However the show is to me clearly the best Marvel show so far. Great writing, great acting, great plot, great direction... in short GREAT!

Agreed. If it can stick the landing it will eclipse WandaVision (which I loved despite the rather lackluster ending...in part brought about because of Covid affecting the last two episodes of course).

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier had appealing leads some really good stuff but also some really mediocre stuff mixed in. Easily the least of the three D+ shows so far.

Yavar

You can bet the pay off at the end will be Loki being returned to where he disappeared at the beginning.

I still can’t get my head around this time stuff. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to fully understand how it works in this franchise.

It is a good show. It is implying a lot. Which is always a good thing. It better pay off. I really liked WV. First 7 episodes were great. And then it did not quite stick the landing. I hope this one does.

I did not watch Falcon and Winter Soldier. Those aren't interesting actors to me. Olsen and Hiddleston are. Hence i am ready to spend time with them.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I still can’t get my head around this time stuff. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to fully understand how it works in this franchise.

Episode 2 made a little more sense to me with a second watch. (I also enjoyed it significantly more the second time.) But yeah, time travel stuff can get muddled soooooo easily.

My feeling so far is that this show's success as entertainment relies almost entirely on the tremendous charm and chemistry of Hiddleston's and Wilson's performances. Not that that's a bad thing, I suppose.

I have no problem with the time travel stuff.  Second episode was a little slower of a burn than the first (so much so that it lost my spouse’s attention early on), and the music followed suit - although it really got cooking by the end!  Interesting choice to go with the

Spoiler

Female Loki

bit from the comics.  I’m very glad that they didn’t

Spoiler

go with some wonky Mando/Skywalker-sequel digital manipulation with Hiddleston too.  A real fear after they showed us that Hulk-looking Loki in the exposition dump.

.  Excited to see where it all goes!

Loki 1x01 Glorious Purpose

Meh, I was underwhelmed.  Something about these kinds of time travel stories rubs me the wrong way.  Two aspects of it actually.

1 is that over the original 23 films, we saw Loki change and grow, vascillate between good guy and bad guy, etc, until Thanos ultimately killed him, ending his arc.  Now we get to bring him back via an earlier version of him popping out of the timeline and living a new life. It lessens the impact of what the primary Loki went through to do this.

2 is that the whole idea of there being a "sacred timeline" that 3 living entities claim is the right one and everyone takes at their word, and all other things that happened are not "destined" and must be reverted, etc. mehhhh.  I completely grant that by the end of the show this might all be undone and the Timekeepers might be revealed as frauds or whatever, but if it doesn't I'll be disappointed.

For a pilot episode, this really spend way too much time with people sitting around and talking and exposition dumping and very little action.  I found that surprising, and not in a good way.

i guess to me so far Loki works better as a minor villain for our heroes to foil, than as the protagonist of his own story.

But, I never like to judge any show based on only one episode, so we'll see what happens next week!

Usually not a Marvel fan, but enjoying the series, and the score by Natalie Holt is very Dr. Whoesque, love it. One of the better Marvel scores, so far, IMHO. Hope she gets to the big MCU movies, they sure could use a little more personality in the scores. (exceptions are the Ant-man music by Beck and Giacchino's Doctor Strange).

17 minutes ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

Usually not a Marvel fan, but enjoying the series, and the score by Natalie Holt is very Dr. Whoesque, love it. One of the better Marvel scores, so far, IMHO. Hope she gets to the big MCU movies, they sure could use a little more personality in the scores. (exceptions are the Ant-man music by Beck and Giacchino's Doctor Strange).

Reminded me a bit of Ragnarok (I haven't heard anything from Dr. Who)

Watched the first episode. Really like the look of it, and the score sounded kinda neat too. Way too much talking though...

I really would have been disappointed if we would in this series just deal with the Loki from "Avengers". He made some development. So, I like how they did it, that he actually got the chance to spot his whole timeline to get to know what we know and now we can see what he actually makes out of that.

Apart from that I am not too excited about the show. So far I liked "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" better. There I was kind of well entertained by the action scenes. Not so here. Action is quite lame in this series. Much talking, not always too entertaining. I don't know. Let's see the next episodes.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

over the original 23 films, we saw Loki change and grow, vascillate between good guy and bad guy, etc, until Thanos ultimately killed him, ending his arc.  Now we get to bring him back via an earlier version of him popping out of the timeline and living a new life. It lessens the impact of what the primary Loki went through to do this.

Erm, well, yes, but at least this past side timeline Loki got to fast-forward on the major moments of his original life. He knows how that Loki dies: betrayed by the Titan he tried to deceive.

This Loki gets a Mulligan. He may not have the opportunity to prevent the death of the original, which is a fixed point on the Sacred Timeline that is not undone by Hulk's snap, but it's information he can use to... To... 

I don't know where this show is going.

Marvel has two priorities: set up the Multiverse, and figure out where the Eternals and Deviants fit into the established chronology, to hype their big movie. I kinda hope this show touches on both. 

Because when you take a step back, the Multiverse is how you bring the X-Men into the MCU. 

11 hours ago, KK said:

Watched the first episode. Really like the look of it, and the score sounded kinda neat too. Way too much talking though...

211a26ca75f048532046580a075930cdeedec9bb

14 hours ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

I'm probably more of an MCU fan than you, but I agree with all of this. Giacchino's Doctor Strange and the Ant-Man scores by Beck are the most memorable highlight scores of the franchise so far.

Yavar