LOKI - show and score SPOILERS ALLOWED for aired episodes

Jay

As someone who was really disappointed in Jackman's score to Civil War abandoning some of the best thematic material from Winter Soldier, his scoring for the D+ series and calling back to those original themes really scratched an itch for me.

Yavar

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of Gia's Doctor Strange. I don't like the main theme much and the action music is rather uninspired. It doesn't help I don't like the movie either. On the other hand, I love both his Spider-Man scores.

Loki 1x02 The Variant

OK, that was significantly better than the first episode!  I enjoyed it all quite a bit.  There is still too much talking, in particular they seem to cover every bit of information twice all the time, which is really frustrating.  For example, when Loki explains how he thinks The Variant is hiding in apocalypse areas with the salad and stuff, after his explanation is finished, he kind of explains it all again.  It's like the showrunners think the viewers are children or something, it's really strange; No other MCU content is like this.

Another thing I am not really liking is the production design.  The TVA looking like an mashup of 60s-80s American office buildings is really just... dumb.  This kind of thing works for a comedy like The Good Place or Miracle Workers, but makes no sense in a show like this.  Similarly, the third act taking place in a "future" Wal Mart type place that looked...exactly like a current Wal Mart type place was unimaginative and boring.  So far both episodes feel a bit low budget even though I imagine they were not, and it's just a production design style that isn't jiving with me.

That being said, the story is getting interesting now.  The specifics of how the time travel works and how they know what "order" The Variant is doing his (her...) thing in is muddy but maybe it's supposed to be; The hunt for her is still intriguing nonetheless.  Plus, Owen Wilson was given much more to do this week and his casting is making a lot more sense.  The chemistry between Wilson and Hiddleston is getting better too.

It's really becoming clear that I was not wrong in thinking that the whole Time Keepers / Sacred Timeline thing doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'm glad this has become Loki's primary goal to investigate.  I can't possibly think of what the real explanation will be so that's intriguing as well.  I also suspect Mobius is not what he claims to be either.

Looking forward to tonight's new ep!

Some very nü-Who energy from episode 3.  Give me an ongoing “Loki(s) travel to a random planet/random apocalypse  and have an episodic adventure” series!

This one really picks up - there’s still a good bit of dialogue but for the most part it’s character dialogue and not set-up.  A very mythos-free episode (although that 11th hour TVA revelation is very interesting).

This show is rather slow so far (halfway through and there hasn’t been a single flashy action scene!) but I like the characters and ideas. And the music is really quite creative, very impressive effort.

We didn’t get a flashy action scene in Wandavision until the last/worst episode!  Still, I’d call that sequence at the end of Loki episode 3 pretty flashy!

To me this show is the best they've done so far. Yes it's a bit slow and really talky but the characters and the story are great.

Really like Holt's score didn't do much for me at the beginning but it has start to grow in me now. Can't wait for the release of the half season score.

That kind of writing flub annoys me, for another example, Holdo saying “Godspeed” in the Last Jedi always raises my eyebrows because it just seems out of place.

3 hours ago, Stark said:

That kind of writing flub annoys me, for another example, Holdo saying “Godspeed” in the Last Jedi always raises my eyebrows because it just seems out of place.

How about this one:

Han Solo Star Wars GIF - HanSolo StarWars SeeYouInHell - Discover & Share  GIFs

3 hours ago, Stark said:

She was just talking about C3PO

BvwZiLJCQAAzRNJ.jpg&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiYuc

Loki 1x03 Lamentis

Meh.  Is this going to be like Star Trek where the even numbered ones are better than the odd numbered ones? :p

I felt like all the momentum they had going by the end of episode 2 got stifled by this incredibly slow, plodding episode that also featured pretty sub-par green screen work.  They pulled off green screen decently in the first 2 episodes perhaps because they were mostly inside corridors and such, but this episode featuring numerous slow walks outside on an alien planet that was clearly filmed in a soundstage was pretty cheap looking.

I probably wouldn't care if the episode was interesting and compelling but unfortunately apart from the reveal that the timekeepers are all being lied to about their own past, there wasn't much to sink into here.  It was basically a character development episode for Sylvie, and Loki as well, but I didn't find any of that stuff interesting at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess the Loki character still just works way better as an occasional villain than the protagonist, and Sylvie is completely forgettable even after an entire episode with her.

Basically, doing an entire episode without Owen Wilson was a bad idea :P And ending the episode on a cliffhanger instead of resolving the plot of them being trapped on this planet within an episode was too.  I'm sure Owen Wilson will end up saving them somehow next episode, so what did they want to have him miss an entire episode to save money or something?

They are also still doing the thing where every bit of information is relayed twice - this show seemingly doesn't have a script doctor or something.  Actually, I think I put my finger on another problem: Every episode is directed by the same person.  Typically on a show like this you keep things fresh by bringing in multiple different directors to each bring their own different ideas on how to handle things.  The slow, plodding, repetitive style Kate Herron is using here is really not working for me at all.

For an MCU feature the action and fight scenes are surprisingly bad. Same for acting and the editing. If there weren't all these special effects a lot of scenes would just look like some kind of rehearsal. 

I agree with this, actually.

In fact in this past episode, as much as I wasn't really vibing on all the prolonged dialogue scenes, when the action kicked in I went "great, finally an action scene, this should make up for all this repetitive dialogue", but then... the fight scenes were all so boring, and same-y, it was even worse than the dialogue scenes!  It turned out to be the action scenes that my wind would wander during.

I hope they can pull this thing around in the final 3 episodes...

Yeah, I don't care for the fight scenes either, they lack momentum and are choreographed without creativity. The action really is not the best part of the show. 

But I'm hoping they're saving the cool fight scenes for Shang-Chi.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, I don't care for the fight scenes either, they lack momentum and are choreographed without creativity. The action really is not the best part of the show. 

But I'm hoping they're saving the cool fight scenes for Shang-Chi.

Why is Loki even doing hand to hand fighting... isn't he... you know... a god?!

That's what doesn't work for me, yea.  

In the films, Loki is this magical villain that the heroes have to outsmart to defeat

In this, he's the protagonist... and... talks alot... and..... isn't as wild and kooky... and... fights with daggers and stuff alot...

Score was impressive this episode IMHO

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Why is Loki even doing hand to hand fighting... isn't he... you know... a god?!

IIRC in the first Thor movie its pretty much implied that Asgardians are just Aliens that Humans called gods.

Yeah, Asgard is a realm that can be traveled to and from via the rainbow bridge but it’s also just a planet accessible through space travel.  Loki himself is a Frost Giant raised as an Asgardian who learned magic from his witchy mom.  I don’t think we are to take “god” as literal in this case.

Yowza, this week’s episode!  I’ve had none of the negative vibes that Jay is feeling from this, and I’m enjoying Loki at this point the most of the three shows. 

btw, if you haven’t watched yet, there is a post-credits scene in part 4.

1 hour ago, Permanent Waves said:

Score was impressive this episode IMHO

IIRC in the first Thor movie its pretty much implied that Asgardians are just Aliens that Humans called gods.

Ah fair enough... I'm not enough up on the lore of the Marvel universe, but that kinda makes sense. Guess it's a bit like Superman - he's just an alien lol. Still, his power and ability does seem to be shrunk and expanded depending on the whims of the writers, but it's not enough to spoil the show. I quite enjoyed the third episode, even though it was about three different episodes of Doctor Who rolled into one (on a bigger budget). Certainly didn't have any issues with the FX work most of the time. The town made me think that's what Nimbus III was meant to look like in Star Trek V... if only that film had the same budget (as a TV show!).

Loki has magic in the Thor movies and Avengers 1 because he is a powerful alien with illusion magic and two Infinity stones in his possession, giving him the ability to appear on Earth and mind control Hawkeye, Selvig, etc. Against mortal humans, he is a god. 

Against Asgardians, he is their equal, though he's typically inferior against Thor. His magic isn't as effective. But Asgardians aren't immortal, since they can die of old age and fatal wounds - - Hela, Thanos, etc. They are just more hardy than homo sapiens. 

The TVA appears to employ mere humans as its workforce, but the structure has scientific devices that suppress Loki's magic, and the workers have gizmos that rewind time in small areas.

Were Loki to appear as powerful against the TVA as he did in Avengers 1, there would be no story or conflict.  There are logical explanations as to why he fights with knives - - they're the only weapon available, and he does not want pruned with the glowy end. 

Definitely watch the mid-credits scene. Considering the first actor listed (the guy on the right) is kind of a big deal, the story is taking an interesting turn for eps 4 and 5.

Lol.

5 and 6.  I can't count.

Yes episode 4 was released yesterday.

Personnally I'm still extremely thrilled by this show. The long dialogue scenes perfectly suit Loki IMO, he always has been a diva who liked listenning to himself and the show represent it well.

[spoilers ahead]

Spoiler

I really like his relationship with Sylvie too. The two have a great alchimie which really bring the narcissism that the character deserves
[spoilers on the episode 4]

Spoiler

I'm really curious about what they will do and how Loki will react with the new Lokis be found during the post credit scene

Strong, strong Doctor Who vibes - The Sacred Timeline plot would be a great season-long arc for someone like the Twelfth Doctor.

Spoiler
  • Loki and Sylvie battling in the throne room gave me flashbacks to The Last Jedi.
  • Owen Wilson's character's death was truly devastating and I hope he can be revived
  • I like how the three guardians are perpetually situated in front of an elevator.

Contains spoilers from the 4th episode.

Spoiler

But in oposite to Daisy Ridley Sophia Di Martino doesn't really make a good fighter. IMO she is not well casted.

That fighter girl that is on the run since she was twelve, that really isn't her. She appears more like the house wife in a carnival costume. One reason why these fight scenes do not work for me.

I don't think. that Owen Wilson's character is really dead. Loki was killed the same way and he is alive in the end.

[spoilers ahead on episode 4]

Spoiler

Personnaly I think that Loki and Moebius were sent into the future of Kang to be killed there so both wouldn't be dead.... yet

I agree that Sophia Di Martino doesn't make the greatest fighter but the show isn't centered on the fight but more on the intimate relationship she entertaines with Loki and on this point she's really good

PS: Daisy Ridley is IMO the best actress as a fighter since a long time so I find that a bit unfair to compare Sophia Di Martino with her

This thread is too hard to read with all the spoiler blocks.  Let's talk about all aired episodes openly and only use spoiler blocks if like, something leaks online about a future episode or something.  Thanks!

Loki 1x04 The Nexus Event

YEA now that's more like it!  I guess it's true the even numbered episodes are just better with this show; This episode was great!

There was a little bit of repetitive parts (like showing us Sylvie's abduction by the TVA as a child, and then having her tell Loki the entire story again a minute later), but much less than prior episodes.

I thought it was pretty funny that as soon as Loki and Sylvie got romantic when they thought they were gonna die, it was the event that caused the TVA to be able to locate them :lol: Mobius calling Loki out for falling for a version of himself being sick and narcissistic was pretty funny too.

In general it was just better to have all the characters in this episode, and to learn cool new interesting things about each one.  I can't say I was surprised that Renslayer turned out to be the bad guy and the Timekeepers turned out to be fakes, but I'm glad that's all revealed now and there's 2 more episodes of story to come.  Richard E Grant showing up as a old Loki at the end was pretty cool!

Can't think of anything too negative to say about this, it was really fun the whole time!  Genuinely excited to see what happens next!

Quite an episode this week! The folks behind the show are still making good on their promise that each episode would kinda redefine what the show was. Very curious to see where things go in the remaining couple of episodes. I'm gonna be sad to see this one end - sadder than with either of its predecessors, I think.

The only real issue I have with this show is the fight scenes...unlike with a lot of Marvel action, the modest scope and lengthier shots allow me to follow what's going on, but the stunt choreography is just not very interesting to me.

But yeah, otherwise I'm invested. It hurt to see Mobius go, though I'm obviously hopeful he'll return. Owen Wilson is fantastic in this role.

With the soundtrack being out now

I have to say that its a but of an odd release. The music itself is nice, but 3 tracks basically sound nearly identical to 3 other tracks, its only 45 minutes and they barely cover any parts of the 3rd episode.

9 hours ago, Datameister said:

It hurt to see Mobius go, though I'm obviously hopeful he'll return. Owen Wilson is fantastic in this role.

Mobius absolutely isn't dead; All "pruning" seems to do is zap you to an alternate dimension (or whatever) where every other version of you that's been zapped also exists, so there's no doubt he'll come back.

... and I just realized that if you flicked off the episode during the main credits and didn't stick around for the mid-credits scene that was between the main credits and the end credits, you didn't see this, which might explain why you think he died...

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mobius absolutely isn't dead; All "pruning" seems to do is zap you to an alternate dimension (or whatever) where every other version of you that's been zapped also exists, so there's no doubt he'll come back.

... and I just realized that if you flicked off the episode during the main credits and didn't stick around for the mid-credits scene that was between the main credits and the end credits, you didn't see this, which might explain why you think he died...

It certainly looks that way, yeah. I just meant that it hurt to see him get pruned at the time, since the mid-credits surprise obviously hadn't happened yet 

After the impressive production design of the first two episodes, I found the green screen work in the third episode pretty disappointing, and the attempt at a Children of Men-esque long take kind of laughable.

The fourth episode was more entertaining, but Loki feels kind of reduced to just any other sympathetic hero, and the whole thing is starting to drown in its own mythology (as these Marvel things tend to do).

1 minute ago, KK said:

After the impressive production design of the first two episodes, I found the green screen work in the third episode pretty disappointing, and the attempt at a Children of Men-esque long take kind of laughable.

Yes, thank you, I completely agree!

1 minute ago, KK said:

The fourth episode was more entertaining

Also agree!

1 minute ago, KK said:

, but Loki feels kind of reduced to just any other sympathetic hero, and the whole thing is starting to drown in its own mythology (as these Marvel things tend to do).

I agree with this too!  He's nothing like the Loki from the movies.  That Loki was interesting and unique.  This show could be about almost anybody going through what he's going through here; They don't really tie a lot into all the ways they had built his character up over a decade of movies.  Even the scene with Sif was just kinda... there

Over a decade of movies? But isn't this supposed to be an alternate Loki post Avengers 1? I'm sure the show goes into it more, but that's only like half the time for his character within the universe.

9 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

But isn't this supposed to be an alternate Loki post Avengers 1?

Thats his criticism.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, Jay said:

Loki 1x01 Glorious Purpose

Over the original 23 films, we saw Loki change and grow, vascillate between good guy and bad guy, etc, until Thanos ultimately killed him, ending his arc.  Now we get to bring him back via an earlier version of him popping out of the timeline and living a new life. It lessens the impact of what the primary Loki went through to do this.

i guess to me so far Loki works better as a minor villain for our heroes to foil, than as the protagonist of his own story.

24 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Over a decade of movies? But isn't this supposed to be an alternate Loki post Avengers 1? I'm sure the show goes into it more, but that's only like half the time for his character within the universe.

Hmmm that's a good point I had forgotten about.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I agree with this too!  He's nothing like the Loki from the movies.  That Loki was interesting and unique.  This show could be about almost anybody going through what he's going through here

Yes. This happens frequently when well liked, scene stealing characters that nonetheless aren't the star and don't have a huge amount of screen time suddenly take center stage.  Hiddleston chewed up the scenery every time he appeared as Loki in the films. Now he's just another character. Sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to villains.

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Yes. This happens frequently when well liked, scene stealing characters that aren't the star and don't have a huge amount of screen time suddenly take center stage.  Hiddleston chewed up the scenery every time he appeared as Loki in the films. Now he's just another character. Sometimes less is more, especially when it comes to villains.

I don't think it's about screentime. He has become a Loki (often) without powers. For once he has to rely only on his wits, which are clearly not always enough. I like this development of his character very much. I still think he chews up the scenery quite often but he's gotten some additional nuance, while also being a bit like Tigger after he lost his bounce...

Yavar

So.

4 episodes down, 2 to go.  What do people think will happen tonight and next week?

The TVA is revealed to be a sham, with the timekeeprs actually being goofy robots.  But who set this all up?  Who's the real villain?  What is the real reason the real villain wants to maintain 1 timeline and destroy variations of it?

How will Loki escape wherever he was sent to?  What about Mobius, will he get to ride a jetski by the end?

Any thoughts and speculations!?

(if you've already watched today's new ep, don't ruin it for us speculatin'!)