LOKI - show and score SPOILERS ALLOWED for aired episodes

Jay

• 1 month later...

Loki 2x01 Ouroboros

Wowzers, it had been so long since season 1, I barely had a clue what was going on here.  The recap helped somewhat but not enough, at least not for me!  So I mostly just kind of enjoyed this as a self-contained story, and it was largely easy enough to follow on its own.

Ouroboros is a great addition to the cast!  I hope Ke Huy Quan is in every episode, and also starts showing up in other MCU content!  The energy of all his scenes was perfect, and more like what I was hoping the show would be all along.  Owen Wilson didn't end up bringing as much comedy as expected, but at least Quan is now!

With the crisis of the loom or whatever in this episode averted, I look forward to Mobius and Loki going on adventures in random places the rest of the season, like the 1982 Oklahoma we see Sylvie in during the end credits!

For whatever reason, I liked second season more than the first. It is not without issues (some of which we can talk about once you're done) but I liked the wacky s-f energy of it.

Karol

Loki 2x02 Breaking Brad

Nice "moving things along" episode that explained a lot of what's going on.  The brief jaunt into 1970s London was fun; I don't remember this Brad guy from the first season, but he was good in all his scenes here.  I wonder how much McDonald's paid for the many scenes taking place in one.  So is the idea that General Dox (the Scottish lady) is destroying all the branched timelines because Kang wanted there to only be one timeline? But the heroes think everyone has a right to live including in branched timelines? hmm

Loki 2x03 1893

This was fun!  This kind of journey into the past is the kind of stuff I wish this show did more often.  Majors as a completely different version of Kang/Timely was cool, and it was funny how many people were chasing him.  Miss Minutes being in love with him, jealous of Renslayer, and wanting a body was.... weird.  The tease at the end when she teases that she knows a secret that will make Renslayer angry was... one way to end an episode

Loki 2x04 Heart of the TVA

So Miss Minutes' big secret is simply that Renslayer thought she'd rule with Kang, but he tricked her and had her memories wiped too?  And this is some kind of a big deal?  OK...  I LOVE Timely meeting Ouroboros, and it being a time paradox of who wrote the book and invented all the tech that runs the TVA, etc.  Fun stuff!

Miss Minutes and Wolfe briefly taking over the TVA and Loki pruning his future self that we saw in the first episode was alright, kind of a brutal scene where the scottish general lady and all her troops died.  Kind of a crazy ending with Timely turning into spagetti and the loom failing and seemingly everyone dying.  Yikes!

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Loki 2x04 Heart of the TVA

So Miss Minutes' big secret is simply that Renslayer thought she'd rule with Kang, but he tricked her and had her memories wiped too?  And this is some kind of a big deal?  OK...  I LOVE Timely meeting Ouroboros, and it being a time paradox of who wrote the book and invented all the tech that runs the TVA, etc.  Fun stuff!

Miss Minutes and Wolfe briefly taking over the TVA and Loki pruning his future self that we saw in the first episode was alright, kind of a brutal scene where the scottish general lady and all her troops died.  Kind of a crazy ending with Timely turning into spagetti and the loom failing and seemingly everyone dying.  Yikes!

Don't take this the wrong way, not trying to violate "let the moderators do the moderating" or anything, but why not post these in the thread for the show?

EDIT: Oh yeah duh, spoilers that's why of course haha 😄 :pat:

Huh, I legitimately forgot this show had its own thread!

Loki 2x05 Science/Fiction

Well, that was fun seeing what all the main character's lives were like before Kang abducted and mind-wiped them to be in the TVA.  It's a bit too bad the budget didn't allow for anything too elaborate though, with all the Alcatraz stuff just being shown on sandy beaches for the most part.  Ouroboros being a failed sci-fi auther putting his own book in stores was pretty funny, and it was also fun that he just believes Loki and helps him out.  Gathering all the main characters together so help save the day was kind of nice, though it was a bummer it didn't work and everybody turned to spaghetti anyway.  I'm not sure exactly why Loki finally figured out how to control the timeslipping in this moment (so he didn't need their collective aura after all?), but am curious how things will wrap up with him next week, as he seems to have jumped to just before Victor turned into spaghetti trying to fix the loom

Funny thing, my boy and I had literally just watched the Alcatraz episode of Mythbusters the day before we watched this. "They're in the wrong place!" he said. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Loki 2x06 Glorious Purpose

That was kind of fun seeing Loki try to fix the Loom over and over again, eventually spending centuries learning the science and having Timely finally do it... only for that to still not work! The next part where Loki and doing over the showdown with the He Who Remains over and over again was fun too.  Majors was just as good here as he was at the end of the last season.  His decision to sort of become the ultimate hero / sacrifice and take over the management of all the timelines or whatever was, I suppose about as good of an ending for the character as can be given (until some future MCU project changes his fate again).  The wrap-up for all the various show-only characters makes me think we probably won't be returning to them unless Feige gets desperate.

Overall, a better season than season 1 by a long shot, mostly due to Ke Huy Quan elevating every scene he's a part of, and Majors being really good too.  I still feel like Owen Wilson's talents where largely wasted, and Loki was more fun as a villain in the early MCU movies than the antihero they turned him into later.  I'm not really sure this show was ultimately that successful at much of anything else for me.  It was ok I guess.

I think Hiddleston was wasted until that last episode. I think I largely enjoyed the show? But I can't imagine I'll ever go back to it. All the elements appeared to be there but it just didn't "sizzle".

Boy is home sick and just watched Iron Man through Endgame this week. So I saw bits of Thor and Thor: The Best Thor Movie, I mean Thor: The Dark World. So it was fun seeing "early days" Hiddleston.

32 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I can't imagine I'll ever go back to it. All the elements appeared to be there but it just didn't "sizzle".

Oooh thank you, that's a good way of putting it.

32 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I think Hiddleston was wasted until that last episode

Right? I kinda felt like he was never the main character in his own show, until that ending.

The mystery and intrigue of the first season just wasn't there this time. We're already invested in the characters at this point and we care about their stories, but it just feels like they weren't given much to do. Mostly just running in circles. Majors is too over the top and acts like he's just graduated from an acting school and wants to show off his "artistic" chops. It didn't come off as a fun performance, just formulaic. He did a similar thing in "The Last Black Man In San Francisco" where he's on a stage and acting in a goofy overdramatic way. I didn't like that film either, it was beautifully shot but the ending makes the whole film pointless. It kind of felt like that with Loki too, just in a different way. And the exposition!! There was too much. And when we come back to Kang again in a similar way in the finale, like I said... running in circles. We've already been here a season ago. I'm actually glad to see he won't go on to do anymore with this Kang character because everything I've seen so far has not been great. I don't get any "wow" factor from his performances.

I absolutely loved Ke Huy Quan's character, whoever chose to cast him, bravo you did well. The music was fantastic as always but I feel like there should've been a much better buildup of story that wants us to keep watching, not simply out of obligation to see where the story ends. I'm happy to see Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead getting more attention as their stand alone films have been fantastic especially from a more indie standpoint. I can see them going far.

Writing was the weakest part here, everything was lined up and ready to go, the story was just not as interesting as it could've been. Sylvie got the shortest end of the stick, they had so much potential to expand on her story in creative ways and instead they waste it having her choose to work at a McDonalds of all places... of her own free will. Are you kidding me???

Yeah, all good points.  It did feel like the show was treading water for a while this season.  And yea Sylvie definitely went nowhere.  Maybe some of the characters should have been combined together because they ended up having to spend a bunch of time on all of them and they all feel underdeveloped.  At least Ouroboros feels properly set up to transition to some other leg of the MCU and do well there