John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

2 hours ago, jocores said:

Don't you find 

It's strange a it's not clear wether the subscripcion purchase includes the tickets or they will be charged as long as the dates approach, because the range of prices for just of the concert is as much as the wholes Series subscription, it makes no real sense.

It's odd and could end up in lose-lose-situation - hope not!

However, if John Williams turns up you'll have tickets (priceless, really). If he doesn't show up you're stuck with the rest of the series. You may also end up getting Dirk Brossé instead. In any case, it sounds as if there would be a chance of getting a partial refund for the no-shows.

Right now, buying a subscription takes the pressure off August 9 when tickets are likely to sell out in seconds (usually the internet crashes on these days).

For the Vienna gig, many of us probably paid for a membership to be on the safe side.

We can only hope that this is a serious commitment and not just a cunning selling trick to flog full series - but who knows in this "new reality" mankind has created.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

It's odd and could end up in lose-lose-situation - hope not!

However, if John Williams turns up you'll have tickets (priceless, really). If he doesn't show up you're stuck with the rest of the series. You may also end up getting Dirk Brossé instead. In any case, it sounds as if there would be a chance of getting a partial refund for the no-shows.

Right now, buying a subscription takes the pressure off August 9 when tickets are likely to sell out in seconds (usually the internet crashes on these days).

For the Vienna gig, many of us probably paid for a membership to be on the safe side.

We can only hope that this is a serious commitment and not just a cunning selling trick to flog full series - but who knows in this "new reality" mankind has created.

I was at both Vienna concerts without a membership. But I agree, it could get tough to get good seatings, let alone tichets. Surely the Website will crash on the 9th August.

Let's see how many tickets they are even allowed to sell. There are still restrictions regarding indoor concerts. We don't know how the situation will evolve until October, especially with the delta variant in the mix now. Berlin had quite strict rules for indoor perfomances.

13 minutes ago, Steve said:

I was at both Vienna concerts without a membership. But I agree, it could get tough to get good seatings, let alone tichets. Surely the Website will crash on the 9th August.

The Vienna gigs were relatively short notice, longer after the subscriptions were announced, so all the tickets for both concerts were freely available (first to members, then to everyone else). Two of these concerts are available first to subscribers. On the other hand, there's three of them. On the other other hand, there may still be COVID restrictions that limit the number of available tickets. On the other other other hand, if there are, some of those restrictions may be lifted closer to the concert, and additional tickets may still go on sale (like in Tanglewood).

Who knows, September may bring an Episilon variant of the virus that shuts everything down again. We'll just have to wait and see, and be quick & lucky when tickets become available.

8 hours ago, Steve said:

I think digital concert hall is not sold by DG. But I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

DG has a long standing association with the Berliner Philharmoniker - much closer than the occasional one with the Wiener, I believe. I would expect at least 95% of the Berliner Philharmoniker recordings in my collection are DG releases.

I personally wouldn't mind if they put out a nice release by themselves, if it's anything like this:

IMG_20210614_201728_small.jpg

IMG_20210614_201745_small.jpg

IMG_20210614_201815_small.jpg

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, but that still doesn't merit a 1CD, 2CD, Blu-Ray, vinyl and combo pack release. Unless they release the crap all at once and I can just buy the best one available from day one.

Incidentally, the above set has almost all of that in one box (CDs, BD-audio, BD-video).

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Berlin variant...

It looks like Marian has used the additional home time to grow two extra hands.

My home office desk is the same as my standard desk/my work laptop sits next to my private PC.

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

If subscriptions are the only way to go, I am not going. What an outdated business model!

Edit: 45 minutes later: oh, whom am I kidding. I saw the free seats disappearing and cracked.

I have purchased 3 tickets for the K subscription series. See you in Berlin, chaps.

Yeah I purchased the same for €135! 

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Just to be clear, if you pay for the subscription, do you then still pay the price of the individual tickets separately? So... a 135 euro subscription is actually a 945 euro purchase?

I'm asking, because until tomorrow I can still get out if that is the case xD

So is that the case?

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Just to be clear, if you pay for the subscription, do you then still pay the price of the individual tickets separately? So... a 135 euro subscription is actually a 945 euro purchase?

I'm asking, because until tomorrow I can still get out if that is the case xD

This is a good question... and you've kind of got me worried. I don't think that's correct.

I just subscribed to Serie K and the receipt clearly states: "Total subscription ticket price: 396 Euros". My understanding, then, is that this covers the cost of all 6 concerts.

I've emailed the ticket office to enquire about how direct debit payment(s) will be taken (in stages or as a single "one off" payment). Will post again when I get an update.

I bought the subscription purely for the Williams concert but don't rule out attending others, though this is unlikely. And, my interpretation of the "refunds" page (https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/abo-ticket-return/) makes me think I can now claim a refund for the other concerts I can't attend. This might be a way for fans to avoid online chaos on August 9th, though there might be a big upfront payment... or am I reading this completely incorrectly?! :-)

1 minute ago, APBez said:

This is a good question... and you've kind of got me worried. I don't think that's correct.

I just subscribed to Serie K and the receipt clearly states: "Total subscription ticket price: 396 Euros". My understanding, then, is that this covers the cost of all 6 concerts.

I've emailed the ticket office to enquire about how direct debit payment(s) will be taken (in stages or as a single "one off" payment). Will post again when I get an update.

I bought the subscription purely for the Williams concert but don't rule out attending others, though this is unlikely. And, my interpretation of the "refunds" page (https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/abo-ticket-return/) makes me think I can now claim a refund for the other concerts I can't attend. This might be a way for fans to avoid online chaos on August 9th, though there might be a big upfront payment... or am I reading this completely incorrectly?! :-)

Yes me too. I hope you get a answer soon. 

Berliner Philharmoniker playing music of John Williams at Waldbühne on June 28, 2015:

To my knowledge it was the single one recorded film music concert performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker. It was released on DVD and BluRay.

3 hours ago, JTGL said:

Yes me too. I hope you get a answer soon. 

3 hours ago, APBez said:

3 hours ago, Steve said:

So is that the case?

While we are waiting for an official answer, here is an insight from someone on fb:

image.png

51 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

While we are waiting for an official answer, here is an insight from someone on fb:

The "someone" is @MSM, who has posted above.

And yes, it's standard for subscriptions to be paid in full, one sum for all concerts. I guess the special COVID thing here is that they apparently won't charge the whole amount at once, in case individual concerts get cancelled.

Anyway, in case the concerts sell out before I can get a ticket and any of you subscription buyers end up not being able to go, let me be the first on the list of people who'd be happy to buy a ticket off you. ;) 

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It almost makes it not worth it.

Nah, not quite ;)

Especially after being lucky with Vienna, the stakes won't be life-or-death this time. 

14 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It's going to sell quickly, but I highly doubt that both the 14th and the 15th are going to sell out just with subscription packages (which cost 400+ Euros). No way the Berlin Phil will put out all 2,200 seats for both nights only with subscription plans. I'm sure they will get an unusual amount of subscription packages because of this, but the bulk will go on sale for the general audience.

Actually the subscriptions can be bought from €136 ($164) upward…I added that in my earlier post. Indeed from seeing the floor plan many seats are blocked from subscription but those are generally not the best seats.

For the first (and probably last) time to see Williams conducting, what seats do you recommand in there? And let's pretend money is not an issue for now 😅

Capture d’écran 2021-06-15 à 08.49.08.pngCapture d’écran 2021-06-15 à 08.48.57.png

6 hours ago, Fabulin said:

image.png

Thanks.

I Have a subscription and had the same question.

Good to hear that this is something that might happen.

Missing out on the Vienna concert bugged me massively, but I have a more relaxed relationship to this now. First of all, I find the prospect of it actually happening very uncertain - given the pandemic situation. Second, I have constant financial trouble, which means I'll gladly take a cheap standing ticket. If I don't get one and/or if it doesn't happen, for whatever reason, I've saved the travelling costs. In short: If it happens, and I'm able to realize it, great. If not, I'm fine with that too.

I actually impulsively bought the season ticket yesterday but emailed them later to cancel it. As tempting as it is I just can't justify spending this much. If I manage to grab a couple of tickets in August, great. But there's no pressure. I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd like to see JW live and I had my chance three times in the past couple of years. If they were to announce an LSO concert I'd get one in a heartbeat. But travelling abroad this year might be a bit of a financial burden. We'll see how I feel about this in August.

Karol

I read this a million times now, but still it’s not clear.

You guys who’ve paid €136 for a subscription still don’t know if you will be able to get a ticket until the 8th?

And you don’t know if you’ll have to pay for it? (But probably, right?)

5 hours ago, toothless said:

For the first (and probably last) time to see Williams conducting, what seats do you recommand in there? And let's pretend money is not an issue for now 😅

Capture d’écran 2021-06-15 à 08.49.08.pngCapture d’écran 2021-06-15 à 08.48.57.png

ER Row 5

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I wonder if they end up regretting making this part of subscription cycles, if too many people end up buying subscriptions just for the Williams concert and leave their seats for the other concerts vacant.

I think the commercial directors couldn't care less. They can sell it as a social spacing measure.

The acoustics would also improve on the non-JW dates (more reverberation, less smart phones going off, less coughing, less chiming of golden bracelets, less rustling from thumbing through program booklets).

16 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

image.png

Officially confirmed. The price listed for a subscription is the complete cost of the same seat reserved on 6 occasions, including the JW concert.

The confusion was due to an error in the receipt.

Thank you. I rang them a few times and the closest I got was a person who was just covering the phones for someone and didn't know about the season tickets. :blink:

22 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

image.png

Officially confirmed. The price listed for a subscription is the complete cost of the same seat reserved on 6 occasions, including the JW concert.

The confusion was due to an error in the receipt.

Thanks so much for this confirmation. I also made a little panic buy. 

So it looks like the "total amount" mentioned in my email receipt is, in fact, the total amount payable and includes the ticket for Johnny. This is wonderful news. 

10 minutes ago, toothless said:

Is it common practice to only have IBAN as payment option?

It's not really common practice and presumably due the pandemic to provide mutual flexibility/security I believe...

5 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

Thanks so much for this confirmation. I also made a little panic buy. 

So it looks like the "total amount" mentioned in my email receipt is, in fact, the total amount payable and includes the ticket for Johnny. This is wonderful news. 

Precautionary panic buy is the right expression. Or simply obsession (here we go again). Rather pay for vacant seats than to sit in front of a black screen ("This service is currently unavailable") on August 9 with tears in my eyes and quivering hands.

I'm lucky though to live 3.5 hrs train ride from Berlin and will book a MotelOne which is reasonable. So the Mehta, Järvi, Petrenko gigs come as real added value.

That said, it's interesting to see which other Abos are already sold out...Rattle, Barenboim...

2 minutes ago, toothless said:

2.376 € is what I would've payed had I bought all tickets separately? Seems insane!

Capture d’écran 2021-06-15 à 14.42.53.png

No, thanks to Fabulin's forwarded post (see below). The basic booking fee should have shown up as 396/6 and not 396*6.

image.png

28 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

No, thanks to Fabulin's forwarded post (see below). The basic booking fee should have shown up as 396/6 and not 396*6.

Yes, so the "Total subscription ticket price" should be "Basic ticket price (excl. fee)" + "Advance booking fee".

But they messed up the calculation of the "Basic ticket price (excl. fee)" hence the confusion.

20 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Yes, so the "Total subscription ticket price" should be "Basic ticket price (excl. fee)" + "Advance booking fee".

But they messed up the calculation of the "Basic ticket price (excl. fee)" hence the confusion.

Saalpläne + Preisliste Aboserien - Philharmonie | Berliner Philharmoniker (berliner-philharmoniker.de)

Saalpläne + Preisliste - Philharmonie | Berliner Philharmoniker (berliner-philharmoniker.de)

15 hours ago, E-Wan said:

Berliner Philharmoniker playing music of John Williams at Waldbühne on June 28, 2015:

To my knowledge it was the single one recorded film music concert performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker. It was released on DVD and BluRay.

Concerto de Aranjuez (John Williams/ Daniel Barenboim) (Germany, 1998) - YouTube

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

The acoustics would also improve on the non-JW dates (more reverberation, less smart phones going off, less coughing, less chiming of golden bracelets, less rustling from thumbing through program booklets).

I think the Philharmonie doesn't have the best reputation regarding acoustics, so you may be referring to that. But generally, yes, an empty concert hall will sound very different than a full one, with much more reverb, but assuming that it's built properly for the intended sound, the acoustics when full should produce the best sound, and the acoustics when empty will be problematic - e.g. too much reverb, which might in turn necessitate slower tempi, etc.

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

So, I won't be paying 2400€ right? 😂

Edit: Nevermind, got it!