John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

Yes, so I wouldn't find it at all unlikely that it will be conducted by him for the first time, I think he likes his work for this movie. What he thinks about the movie is a other question, but I think it is not that important for this issue.

Here is the Program for Berlin:

Filmmusik aus Indiana Jones, Unheimliche Begegnung der dritten Art, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park und Star Wars

Elegy für Violoncello und Orchester

Complete Bullshit. Its all sold out on the Berliner Philharmonic homepage. I have never seen new Tickets for weeks. I have spoken with the Philharmonic. All Abo Tickets are also sold out. New Tickets are only available if a Abo customer give away his Ticket (for Thurday or Friday). Then there is a new Ticket available. And only then...For Saturday there is no Chance to get Tickets because it is a no Abo Concert so people can´t give away tickets.

2 hours ago, Michael G. said:

What's with him? Are there any rumors he's taking over the concert like in London?

Only joking...hope not, of course!

1 hour ago, heritage said:

Here is the Program for Berlin:

Filmmusik aus Indiana Jones, Unheimliche Begegnung der dritten Art, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park und Star Wars

Elegy für Violoncello und Orchester

Complete Bullshit. Its all sold out on the Berliner Philharmonic homepage. I have never seen new Tickets for weeks. I have spoken with the Philharmonic. All Abo Tickets are also sold out. New Tickets are only available if a Abo customer give away his Ticket (for Thurday or Friday). Then there is a new Ticket available. And only then...For Saturday there is no Chance to get Tickets because it is a no Abo Concert so people can´t give away tickets.

I saw at least 18 tickets for Saturday on September 7. Fact.

If JW will not play in Berlin, than something will be very very wrong with him. Berlin is something like the last dream of him. To play with that great orchestra. And many opportunities he will not get.  Maybe its his last opportunity And I´am sure he will use it.

I look not every Day and every hour for tickets, because i have my ticket. But when i have looked sometimes, all tickets are sold out for every Day. Fact.

17 minutes ago, heritage said:

I look not every Day and every hour after tickets, because i have my ticket. But when i have looked sometimes, all tickets are sold out for every Day...

Yeah, my search frequency went down after securing additional tickets for some relatives. If I hadn't read the JWForum, these +/- 36 tickets that showed up last evening would have gone unnoticed.

That said, I see 3 for Thursday right now...

Yes now i have seen the 3 Tickets for Thursday. Thats right. Some people give their Tickets from the Abo away. That can have many factors. But for Saturday thats normally not possible, because it is no abo Concert.

Fact is, i have never seen a concert or three concerts at the Berlin Philharmonic who sells out so quickly. Never ever...

I think there exists a waiting List at the Berlin Philharmonic. Thats why the free rest tickets sold so quickly...

I also imagine that due to the high demand for tickets, they're more lenient with people who ask if they can return their ticket because they can't come to the concert. Even more so when some people might be indisposed due to COVID-related circumstances.

8 hours ago, heritage said:

If JW will not play in Berlin, than something will be very very wrong with him. Berlin is something like the last dream of him. To play with that great orchestra. And many opportunities he will not get.  Maybe its his last opportunity And I´am sure he will use it.

There is zero real evidence that he is not doing the concert, but if he were to back out, this would not be strong evidence that there is something really wrong, particularly when there is a global pandemic going on.  He is conducting several concerts in the next couple weeks--he is fine.  

Hi guys,

I bought two tickets at a higher price for JW Berlin 16 Oct from one of the member here, but then I managed to get two additional on official web for the same day.  So now I have two extras to sell at near face value.  Seats are H Row 5.  PM me if you're interested. ;)

@Tom: Why should he cancel the Berlin concert when he is fine ? In the pandemic he is saver in Germany than in USA. So there is no reason to cancel the concerts only something is very wrong with him. But the pandemic is no reason. And I´am sure that JW is vaccinated. The concert season in germany is on the way and not only with german artists.

Flight conditions (both legal conditions and health/safety protocols) could change. Another strain might pop up that makes the vaccine to inefficient to travel without risk.

@Tom: Why should he cancel the Berlin concert when he is fine ? In the pandemic he is saver in Germany than in USA. So there is no reason to cancel the concerts only something is very wrong with him. But the pandemic is no reason. And I´am sure that JW is vaccinated. The concert season in germany is on the way and not only with german artists.

If he conducts the Tribute next week and the BSO right after, I would say that he is fine (whatever exactly that means for a 90 year old).  

@Marian SchedenigThe flight from LA to Boston is not much shorter as Boston to Berlin. In Germany we get definetly no Lockdown until mid October. Politican say we get no more a Lockdown. We have 3G or maybe 2G. For all others it can be a problem to gain entry. At time it does not look to another strain. Maybe later, but a month is not so long time. At this time it looks very good for the concerts. Some people here are way to pessimistic. There is no reason for that when they have 2G or maybe 3G

@Tom: Yes thats right. But he looks very good in LA two weeks ago...

JW knows a long time that Berlin is coming (since November 2020) in October 2021. So he would never conduct the tribute and Boston or for two weeks in LA if he feels not good. I think Berlin is his main focus.

It is hard to predict, but I presume that the outcome of the general elections may override any other political decision shortly after September 26. So hopefully Berlin will experience no over-precautionary lockdown conditions in October given the G-rules and a low rate of hospitalisations.

@BB-8: The general elections on 26 September will have no consequences for the Berlin concerts. Why ? Because in mid October we will have no new government. It looks like it will be a tight decision. So finding the coalition will take longer time like four years ago. And maybe this year far longer because CDU and SPD are close together. 

In Germany we get definetly no Lockdown until mid October. Politican say we get no more a Lockdown. We have 3G or maybe 2G. For all others it can be a problem to gain entry. At time it does not look to another strain. Maybe later, but a month is not so long time. At this time it looks very good for the concerts.

If the past year and a half have shown anything, it's that politicians can say a lot (and, quite naturally, even more so before elections), but it matters only as long as the virus plays along. It's a highly dynamic situation, and if another lockdown (full, or partial but with relevance to the concert) becomes necessary (e.g. because of an aggressive new mutation), promises from before (hopefully) matter little.

Some people here are way to pessimistic.

I'm not pessimistic. Every day we get close to the concerts the chances improve that they will happen, and so far it's looking good. But any of us might yet have bad luck and catch the virus, and while it's highly unlikely to be a serious health issues for those of us who are vaccinated, that still means staying away from others - especially elderly people like Williams, for whom the vaccines are less effective. Or Williams, or a person on his staff, or a member of the orchestra could get infected during rehearsals. In Grafenegg (Eastern Austria's Tanglewood, so to speak), they had to re-programme a concert on short notice and perform Verdi's Requiem without a choir because one member of the choir tested positive the day before the concert.

And remember what happened the first time Williams was scheduled for Vienna (plus London) - and that was before the pandemic, and Williams was healthy until he wasn't.

I'm handling this the same way I handled the last Williams concerts: Keep in mind that a lot can go wrong, and be even more excited when hopefully everything works out just fine.

6 hours ago, apples said:

Hi all, quick  question please - is there a specific dress code for the concerts? 

There is information here:

In der Philharmonie gibt es keine »Kleiderordnung«. Unsere Gäste erscheinen sowohl in Anzug und Abendgarderobe als auch in Jeans und T-Shirt. Die meisten Gäste betrachten jedoch ein Konzert in der Philharmonie als ein besonderes Ereignis, zu dem sie sich auch entsprechend kleiden.

which Google translates as:

There is no "dress code" in the Philharmonie.  Our guests appear in suits and evening wear as well as jeans and T-shirts.  Most guests, however, regard a concert in the Philharmonie as a special event for which they dress appropriately.

21 hours ago, heritage said:

@BB-8: The general elections on 26 September will have no consequences for the Berlin concerts. Why ? Because in mid October we will have no new government. It looks like it will be a tight decision. So finding the coalition will take longer time like four years ago. And maybe this year far longer because CDU and SPD are close together. 

That is what I was saying...from a certain point-of-view...

But above all, let's hope that these local vax-campaigns will be a real success so that there will be absolutely no need for a lockdown or any other harsh measures in October and thereafter.

Get your vax to save culture!

Impfen schützt auch Kultur | Berliner Philharmoniker (berliner-philharmoniker.de)

#BerlinImpft | Kulturprojekte Berlin

16 minutes ago, heritage said:

I think the Berlin concert will be published later on CD and DVD/Blu-ray when it takes place. What are your opinions here ?

Yes surely. I'm looking forward to the comments like "The LSO played better" or "The trombone was 1/256 beat too late" from those who didnt attend.

Hi guys,

I have an extra ticket for 14 Oct. I would like to make happy someone who wants to attend this memorable event but could not get a ticket so I gladly give it at face value. If you are interested PM me!:)  Seat is block E Row 3.

4 hours ago, heritage said:

I think the Berlin concert will be published later on CD and DVD/Blu-ray when it takes place. What are your opinions here ?

Yes, we are probably all expecting the next DG golden (or even platinum) outburst of countless limited European and Japanese Blu-ray, CD, SACD, HQCD, black vinyl and coloured vinyl editions.

Can hardly wait!

:dance: