John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If we're lucky, we'll get it on cassette this time.

Yeah, like the new Hans Zimmer James Bond score...

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - Bond 007: No Time To Die (Excl. Ltd. Cassette) - Hans Zimmer - MC

A golden cassette! :w00t:

8 minutes ago, heritage said:

I think it will be released on the own Berlin Philharmonic label in a big deluxe edition. Thats much better than on DG. 

And it will sell out in seconds...

Just wondering whether a house label would cope with world-wide logistics.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Yes, we are probably all expecting the next DG golden (or even platinum) outburst of countless limited European and Japanese Blu-ray, CD, SACD, HQCD, black vinyl and coloured vinyl editions.

Can hardly wait!

:dance:

Berliner Philharmoniker have their own label. No DG I think.

Cancellation is no Option for me. Corona incidence in germany goes down slowly the last days. And more and more people are vaccinated. And we have the Option for 2G. And the Hospital rate in four weeks will not so high for a new lockdown and at least the Berlin Philharmonic has a special Ventilation System installed. So when JW is ok, it will take place definetly. 

The Berlin philharmonic label is very good. Thay have several nice boxes in the shop and the sound quality is very impressive.

Hi, I am new in this forum, but I have been reading you for some time and I wanted to start writing :D

I am going to the concert on Saturday from Spain, and I will stay for the whole weekend, so I will do some sightseeing :D 

This would be my first (and probably last) John Williams concert, and I'm really looking forward to it! I missed the Vienna one because it sold out so quickly, but now I was faster and got tickets for behind the musicians, I hope the sound there is not so bad...

Hello EVeryone!

I'm looking for 1 or 2 ticket. So if somebody cannot going (any day any seats) then I would be very happy to take the ticket. A Childhood dream could be go reality.

May the force be with you all!

The Tickets for the Carnegie Hall next year in April are much more expensive than in Berlin i have seen. I wonder how cheap the tickets are in Berlin. I think the philharmonic in Berlin is sponsored by the country that can be a reason for cheaper tickets.

Ok, I finaly got one ticket for Saturday. I couldnt sleep..and casually checking the site at 2 pm...there it was. I got a little anxious because my wife was asleep and i couldnt check if she was ok with it... although a few days ago she told me that I should go or i would regret it my whole life.

She probably was not going to be able to travel at that time.

So, i have been a little lost lately...is there going to be a meet up before the concert? I'll probably will stay the weekend there, but in Potsdam where some friends live. I hope underground and trains are ok after the concert...as they dont have a car to give me a lift :/...

I opted for a digital ticket as i feared the physical ticket could be lost by the post...is there a way to get a physical ticket in the box office there? It would be a better memorabilia than the printed out foldout... :/

If you have a digital Ticket, there is no Chance to get a phyisical Ticket. But i think you can buy a Programm sheet for the memorabilia.

Underground, bus, trains etc. are no problem in Berlin.  

I have been to a couple of concerts where the ticket was digital, and it’s a regret at first, but you get over it as time moves on.

With time, you realize that what is really important is the memory of the performance and the fact that you were there, and what you take with you of those memories.

I’m sure you’ll have lots of memories from the concert, your friends in Potsdam and any JWfaners you happen to come across while you are there.

5 minutes ago, rough cut said:

With time, you realize that what is really important is the memory of the performance and the fact that you were there, and what you take with you of those memories.

Yeah, until you forget about all that. Then the ticket is all you remember... if you've got it.

I bought the ticket on day one and was so nervous that I didn't realize I had to select if I wanted the ticket delivered or emailed, so the system decided for me 😕.

I have many tickets from the Royal Albert Hall, I feel a bit disappointed with myself that I don't have the physical ticket for this one.

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

I've chosen digital ticket, received it automatically, but at the same day asked for the physical one through e-mail and they have posted it from Germany to Poland free of cost.

How long did it take to get it delivered after you send the email?

Which email address did you use to request it?

Do you think I have any chance to get it (in the UK)?

Sorry for so many questions, it is a once in a lifetime event for me and after the disappointment in London a few years ago I am so nervous 😱.

By any chance, do locals/previous visitors of Berlin have any suggestions for places to stay? Was thinking of accomodation in a hotel rather than Airbnb, but not sure which areas are ideal...

I asked for a phys

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I've chosen digital ticket, received it automatically, but at the same day asked for the physical one through e-mail and they have posted it from Germany to Poland free of cost.

I asked for a physical and they said I couldn't have one because I already had a digital one 😞 so you're very lucky. 

15 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I opted for a digital ticket as i feared the physical ticket could be lost by the post...is there a way to get a physical ticket in the box office there? It would be a better memorabilia than the printed out foldout... :/

3 hours ago, ciarlese said:

I bought the ticket on day one and was so nervous that I didn't realize I had to select if I wanted the ticket delivered or emailed, so the system decided for me 😕.

I'm quite a hoarder of physical memorabilia - I've probably read only half the concert programmes I bought, but I keep buying them just to have them. When I bought my Saturday tickets, I forgot to look at the delivery options, so I only got those digitally, but once I had them and was a bit more relaxed, I made sure to get a physical ticket for the Saturday concert. To ease your regrets: It's not all that special - rather plain design, much less premium looking than the average Musikverein ticket. And unlike the JW Musikverein tickets, which all had "1978" or "1138" printed on them (depending on the day), I haven't noticed any geeky inside jokes on the Berliner ticket either.

@Carlborg: I´am in the Motel One at Potsdamer Platz. I think thats the best choice for hotel near the philhramonic. You have a short walk und the hotel is not expensive (around 93 Euro for Single Room for one night). And you can cancel the Hotel for free if the concert will be cancelled. 

Motel One is always a good choice for a City trip. Alexanderplatz is further away from the philharmonic than the Potsdamer Platz. But its around 10 Euro per night cheaper...

If someone will sleep in the same hotel than JW than you should book the Grand Hyatt or the Ritz Carlton. I think the Adlon is to far away from the philharmonic. But maybe someone here knows where he stays ? 

Ok, i would like to make a recount of what we need to enter the concert...in order not to miss anything and be denied entrance!

-Covid vaccination certificate (or equivalent - official PCR test, recovery certificate)

-register on entering the Philharmonie via the Corona Warn app, the Luca app, or at our information desk. (what is this...which one is better? And when to do it?)

- Photo ID, I suppose this means my country official ID card or passport.

-the ticket: physical, printout or digital file.

-FFP2 Mask.

-Clothing: what are you gong to wear? I dont want to stick out in either way...

-Entrance to the concert opens around 1h before the event.

Is that all?

35 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

-Covid vaccination certificate (or equivalent - official PCR test, recovery certificate)

They let me in with a negative result from a rapid antigen test, done on the day of the concert (this is a requirement if you are taking the test option, rather than vaccine certificate) at one of the stations in Berlin. The test was actually free of charge, which was a pleasant surprise for me.

-register on entering the Philharmonie via the Corona Warn app, the Luca app, or at our information desk. (what is this...which one is better? And when to do it?)

I printed and filled out a visitor form, which I was instructed to throw into a box by the entrance. Although they have this form at the information desk, they appreciate it when you complete it at home before the concert, as it reduces queuing times.

As a tourist, I didn't really want to register with all those apps that I wouldn't be using anyway. 

- Photo ID, I suppose this means my country official ID card or passport.

Yes.

-Clothing: what are you gong to wear? I dont want to stick out in either way...

I'll probably bring a formal suit, because of John Williams and the celebratory once-in-a-lifetime occasion.

But last week I went to the Philharmonie in a black t-shirt and jeans, as I didn't bring anything more formal with me (I was planning to stay in Berlin for just one evening, so I didn't even order luggage for the flight). There were plenty of people who wore similar clothing, so I didn't feel judged or awkward or anything. But the majority of people were dressed formally or semi-formally.

13 minutes ago, Biodome said:

They let me in with a negative result from a rapid antigen test, done on the day of the concert (this is a requirement if you are taking the test option, rather than vaccine certificate) at one of the stations in Berlin. The test was actually free of charge, which was a pleasant surprise for me.

I think it's free only for German citizens, right?

How long did it take for the result?

7 minutes ago, Leitmotif said:

I think it's free only for German citizens, right?

That was my impression as well, and I was prepared to pay. But the testing station didn't ask me for any payment. They gave me an English form to fill out with my identity and contact details, and that was all they needed from me. The station was inside the Sony Centre, which is just on the other side of the street from the Philharmonie.

7 minutes ago, Leitmotif said:

How long did it take for the result?

15 minutes

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps you look German.

I don't think it was very German of me to look completely puzzled at their initial attempts to communicate with me in German, and then pray to them that they speak English to me.

In the Berlin Philharmonic you can go as you want. There is no dress code. I will go with jeans and a shirt. Thats all and enough. We are not on the Queen Mary2 and it is not a gala evening/dinner or the Vienna Opera Ball :mrgreen:

Everything to get in you can read here. It is not difficult

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/konzerte/besuchshinweise/

50 minutes ago, Biodome said:

That was my impression as well, and I was prepared to pay. But the testing station didn't ask me for any payment. They gave me an English form to fill out with my identity and contact details, and that was all they needed from me. The station was inside the Sony Centre, which is just on the other side of the street from the Philharmonie.

15 minutes

Then a quick test is also accepted by the berliner philharmonie, it was not clear to me.

How long is this test valid from sampling? 48 hrs? 78 hrs?

1 minute ago, Leitmotif said:

Then a quick test is also accepted by the berliner philharmonie, it was not clear to me.

They also specifically mention rapid antigen tests here:

SmartSelect_20210922-114427_Brave.jpg

1 minute ago, Leitmotif said:

How long is this test valid from sampling? 48 hrs? 78 hrs?

That is determined by those who ask for the result, not the test issuers themselves.

Philharmonie accepts any test done on the same day, so tests from the day before would be invalid. However, most airlines/border control officials will accept a rapid antigen test done within the last 48 hours, or a PCR test done within the last 72 hours. But you should check the info for your specific case and needs, as the rules vary greatly.

Can I take a photo with my phone? It says videos and sound recordings are not allowed... But i can take a photo (without flahs) when Williams enters or something? I need to take a photo myself, lnot only look at press photos or something...... :P

28 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Can I take a photo with my phone? It says videos and sound recordings are not allowed... But i can take a photo (without flahs) when Williams enters or something? I need to take a photo myself, lnot only look at press photos or something...... :P

I wanted to take a photo of the conductor and the orchestra when I was there, but I was kinda scared to be noticed.

There were flashing signs in front of the audience telling everyone that taking photos, videos and using mobile phones is forbidden. There were ushers watching the audience from all sides, and nobody else in the audience were taking photos. The atmosphere seemed far more strict than in Vienna.

But you might be able to sneak in a photo or two if you're very discreet about it.

45 minutes ago, Biodome said:

There were flashing signs in front of the audience telling everyone that taking photos, videos and using mobile phones is forbidden. There were ushers watching the audience from all sides, and nobody else in the audience were taking photos. The atmosphere seemed far more strict than in Vienna.

But you might be able to sneak in a photo or two if you're very discreet about it.

Wondered the same thing. But it might depend on the overall atmosphere in the concert... You saw The Firebird right? I will predict, people will be far more excited in Williams' concert :) When people are as overwhelmed at the end like in Vienna and everyone starts taking pictures, what are they gonna do about it? Nothing. I get why they don't want people to use phones during the performance and film it (especially when it gets recorded and distributed afterwards) but I don't get whats the problem with taking pictures after the performance.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Ok got my flight tickets too. Goddammit it's not cheap lately. I wish i could had grabbed a concert ticket weeks ago.

It would've been cheaper to send your avatar.  

So here is the complete Setlist (without Encores) for Berlin:

·        Olympic Fanfare and Theme

·        Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind 

·        Suite from Far & Away 

·        Three selections from Harry Potter

Hedwig’s Theme

Nimbus 2000

Harry’s Wondrous World

·        Theme from Jurassic Park

·        Superman March

·        Three selections from Indiana Jones

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra