John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

Rise of Skywalker snubbed again, intriguing! 

Suite from Far & Away is a pleasant surprise. Adventures of Han seems a popular choice for him at the moment. Been a while since Nimbus 2000 got a run, no? 

Not many other surprises. Good to see a piece from Last Crusade, given the venue! 

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Been a while since Nimbus 2000 got a run, no? 

Seems pretty redundant right after Hedwig, unfortunately.

"And now... the same thing you just heard. On different instruments."

Today I am going to visit my first subscription concert. :)

My dress rehearsal or the Williams concert.

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
The Tsar's Bride: Overture

Sergei Rachmaninov
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 1 in F sharp minor, op. 1

Ernest Chausson
Symphony in B flat major, op. 20

30 minutes ago, heritage said:

@Henry Sitronu: Source is Berlin Philharmonic

For the Encore i hope Theme from Schindler´s List.

But it's not on their website?

I also thought about a subscription. But then i let it be. And then i had luck on the general sale to get a second row ticket in the middle of Block A.  The middle area of Block A at the Berlin philharmonic starts with the second row. So it is like a first row ticket.

@Steve: Not yet. I have send a mail to the philharmonic with the question for the Setlist. Then they answer me...No Problem, everyone can do it.

Well, that's as surprising as an AC/DC setlist. But at least it's more interesting than the Hollywood Bowl setlist. Far and Away is a nice surprise. I guess Olympic Fanfare will be the new version, which I don't like too much.

I like the Berlin Setlist more than the Vienna from 2020.

It is no surprise that he conducts some pieces from the Hollywood Bowl. I think, the Hollywood Bowl and now Boston in a couple of days are the warm ups for Berlin. And we don´t know the Encores. I think there will be some surprises. Maybe Anne-Sophie Mutter will take the stage as a special Guest and play a piece or so....After the Boston concerts she has a break. And the next concert after that is in germany. So maybe he fly back to germany together with JW. I´am sure he will be at the concerts in Berlin. She and JW have a close friendship....But thats all rumours.

18 minutes ago, heritage said:

I like the Berlin Setlist more than the Vienna from 2020.

Not really. This is too much a best-of. Encores will be Flying Theme and Imperial March. 

I see that the VPO pieces with the most flubs and timing issues have been eliminated. A coincidence? I think not. :)

18 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I really don't see the point of Marion's Theme AND Yoda's Theme in a concert, tbh. Especially Marion's Theme next to Raider's March… Oh well. 

I really don't see the point of Marion's Theme AND Yoda's Theme in a concert, tbh. Especially Marion's Theme next to Raider's March… Oh well. 

Ok Henry, we get it now...

@Steve: For me, that best of makes Sense. Why ? I think it will be the last chance to see JW in Germany and maybe Europe. So what do you expect from him ? That he conduct his favourites and best pieces. And that he did...In such an event often will be played best of setlists. Thats what the most people expect.

Imperial March in Encore ? Yes i think. All others i don´t know. I would see Theme form Schindler. 

All of this years Williams concerts have a kinda redundant program. But I don't mind if the concerts actually take place and I can be there:) Just being in the presence of the maestro is amazing, even if he conducts 10x Flying Theme. 

4 minutes ago, heritage said:

@Steve: For me, that best of makes Sense. Why ? I think it will be the last chance to see JW in Germany and maybe Europe. So what do you expect from him ? That he conduct his favourites and best pieces. And that he did...In such an event often will be played best of setlists. Thats what the most people expect.

Imperial March in Encore ? Yes i think. All others i don´t know. I would see Theme form Schindler. 

Yes of course it makes sense. I like these titles a lot too and haven't heard many of theme in concert before. I just wished he would add something special for these concerts though. Like "Rise of skywalker" or ASM in Vienna. There will be mostly Williams diehards, not casual concert goers or mainstream people, so no need to play the old "Smoke on the water"-kind of stuff. 

@Steve: How many concerts he has conduct in the last years ? Not many. And why he should change his setlist for six or eight concerts ? He has some changes on every new place. But he changes not all. And not to forget, he is 89. So i think everything is ok.

6 hours ago, heritage said:

So here is the complete Setlist (without Encores) for Berlin:

·        Olympic Fanfare and Theme

·        Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind 

·        Suite from Far & Away 

·        Three selections from Harry Potter

Hedwig’s Theme

Nimbus 2000

Harry’s Wondrous World

·        Theme from Jurassic Park

·        Superman March

·        Three selections from Indiana Jones

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Marion’s Theme

Raiders March

·        Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

·        Three selections from Star Wars

The Adventures of Han from Solo: A Star Wars Story

Yoda’s Theme from The Empire Strikes Back

Throne Room & Finale from A New Hope

Link??

The Han Theme is a little bit "Meh"... 

8 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I would love to have Rey's Theme in the Encores along with the Imperial March

I was just thinking, I still miss Rey's Theme in the Williams concerts I've heard. Olympic FanfareHarry's Wondrous World, and Throne Room are others I'll be happy to strike off my list, but I'd been expecting Rey since London, and I think I haven't heard it played live at all (with or without Williams himself).

I'm finding the decision to programme Marion's Theme right next to Raiders March quite striking, given the almost direct repetition of nearly a minute's worth of material into the March, but I suppose it's just like having Princess Leia's theme next to Main Title etc etc. If the programme is legitimate then shocked at lack of 'Adventures on Earth' which I believe is the ultimate first-half-closer. Schindler's will be an encore and it will bring the house down. I was lucky to be there for 'Rememberances' in Vienna and it was extremely poignant. But it should be noted there is no official confirmation of this programme on Berlin Phil's website.. so take this with a pinch of salt for now. :) Jealous of all attending. 

7 hours ago, heritage said:

Hedwig’s Theme

Nimbus 2000

Harry’s Wondrous World

·        Superman March

Marion’s Theme

Raiders March

You have to provide a source when sharing news like this.  It's in the rules.

Substitute

"Marion" with "Leias Theme"

"Throne room" with "Jedi Steps and Finale" 

"Nimbus 2000" with "Window to the past"

And the program would be more interesting and even mainstream listeners would recognice the themes :)

On 22/09/2021 at 11:08 AM, Biodome said:

I don't think it was very German of me to look completely puzzled at their initial attempts to communicate with me in German, and then pray to them that they speak English to me.

You don't need to explain yourself. Everyone has this moment now and then:

That's a way better setlist than Vienna! Say what you will, but I didn't need all those Mutter arrangements for that particular occasion. But yes, Marion next to Raiders is really weird.

As for flubs, don't read too much into it. Maybe Berlin will actually prepare for this and then they can play anthing.

So, when will the 20+ releases be announced?

@heritage It would be nice then if you can please post a screenshot of the mail you received (without your personal information of course), showing the mail adress of the Berliner Philharmoniker and including the name of the person who answered you. Should be no big deal and everyone can be relaxed in this regard and look forward to a great program.

That's why I wrote "without your personal information of course". There are enough options to remove any personal information in an image.  But I think it's only fair for everyone to know if this is official information or not, when it's something that is not publicly available. :music:

8 hours ago, heritage said:

Hedwig’s Theme

Nimbus 2000

Harry’s Wondrous World

·        Superman March

Marion’s Theme

Raiders March

Cool; I cannot wait to see the livestream!

3 minutes ago, Pauling said:

Ok, guys. I wrote to the Philharmonic myself and they answered this:

"Many thanks for your message. I just reached out to our online editing team. They will make sure that the programme will be updated in the next days. But I am happy to send you the programme beforehand already"

Captura de pantalla 2021-09-23 a las 16.24.09.jpg

Thank you so much. Now that's official confirmation ;)

Jay is mistaken. The rule only mentions links to websites - it says nothing about private correspondences:

3 - When copying information from another website (for example: information about an upcoming film score release), always provide a link to the URL that you are sharing the content from.