John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Keep in mind that several different versions of the Vienna programme were posted as well (on the posters, and at least two different ones on the website) before they arrived at the final programme they actually performed.

12 hours ago, heritage said:

So here is the complete Setlist (without Encores) for Berlin:

·        Olympic Fanfare and Theme

·        Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind 

·        Suite from Far & Away 

·        Three selections from Harry Potter

Hedwig’s Theme

Nimbus 2000

Harry’s Wondrous World

·        Theme from Jurassic Park

·        Superman March

·        Three selections from Indiana Jones

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Marion’s Theme

Raiders March

·        Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

·        Three selections from Star Wars

The Adventures of Han from Solo: A Star Wars Story

Yoda’s Theme from The Empire Strikes Back

Throne Room & Finale from A New Hope

If this comes true, a best-case scenario...in total harmony with the Vienna set list.

We'll see if there will be any changes in the setlist, even maybe some last-minute changes.

From what I can read at the moment I like this program. Of course there can always be some that I wanted to hear that is missing, but at the same time there is also something that I would not have expected and that instead with pleasure is present (Far and Away Suite).

Then there are also "mainstream" like Theme from Jurassic Park, Superman March, Hedwig's Theme and also some variations of famous themes like SWIV Throne Room and End Title. We will also see what will be played in the encores (maybe even with some special surprise guest, who knows...).

For now I am happy to be there and that the concert will be held (also considered the covid it was not taken for granted). For me it's also the first time I can see the maestro directing so I'm more than happy!

31 minutes ago, Steve said:

No, please. Far and Away is the highlight of this program.

So, Far and Away plus BFG...

At any rate, the current program is really generous, and there are not too many overlaps with Vienna.

Happy with Scherzo, Han's Theme and Throne Room. Less with Yoda's Theme, with Marion's Theme sitting right next to the March, and with Nimbus 2000 right after Hedwig instead of Fawkes or Window to the Past. 

Oh well, I'll do my best to enjoy the concert anyway ;)

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Duel of the Fates with the audience as the choir

I don't know how that would turn out, though....:lol2:

Can I ask your advice? what a pity that there isn't a system on the Philharmonie website also for the sale of tickets from "fan to fan" (without profit). It would certainly help to optimize the seats more easily and it would also help those looking for tickets that maybe only check on the official website and not fan websites as here for example. Probably their audience is different and therefore they never considered it.

I, for example, could also immediately "free" a seat for the day of the 14th and so someone who only checks the official website could buy it. But I can't because after I had finally agreed with the ticket office (it took a while, but they were very kind with me), I can only receive from them a form of compensation for the value of my ticket, but this would not be very useful to me since I'm not a regular visitor of the Philharmonie. I'd have to sell this instead of the ticket, same story.
So at the moment I have to keep selling the ticket on my behalf and leave an empty seat occupied unnecessarily. All time lost and I don't have much unfortunately, and someone for sure refreshes over and over again during the day the shop page in search of a ticket...what a situation.

Any suggestion? it's not that by chance there is someone, who visits the Philharmonie quite often, who is not interested now in an additional ticket for the JW concert (because like many of us he already has one :lol:) but who may be interested in a voucher valid for whatever concert there (it lasts several years...). If there is maybe PM me. I can decide what to do with them regarding my ticket, but not for long. By the way this would "free" on their shop as well a seat for the day of the 14th in favor of someone.

Many thanks for your suggestions

It will be the first time I've seen Williams. I am excited about: Scherzo, Excerpts, Jurassic Park, Far and Away, Superman and Throne Room & Finale. BUT I just hope one of the surprise pieces is of E.T. Then
I can die in peace xDD

1 hour ago, Pauling said:

It will be the first time I've seen Williams. I am excited about: Scherzo, Excerpts, Jurassic Park, Far and Away, Superman and Throne Room & Finale. BUT I just hope one of the surprise pieces is of E.T. Then
I can die in peace xDD

I'd be very excited about the Scherzo, except I'm not a fan of the new version.

59 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

I would bet a week's pay that the encores will be "Flying" from E.T, along with The Imperial March.  A possible third encore could be anything, but those two I would take to the bank.

Flying would be lovely. That's another one I haven't yet heard properly live.

I cannot see any changes in the Program. Why ? Because the program sheets for the visitors must be printed in advance. Nobody want buy a program sheet with the wrong program. I think, that was the reason that the berlin philharmonic published the exact program so late. We have only three weeks to go. Normally the berlin philharmonic published the program much earlier. 

2 hours ago, heritage said:

I cannot see any changes in the Program. Why ? Because the program sheets for the visitors must be printed in advance. Nobody want buy a program sheet with the wrong program. I think, that was the reason that the berlin philharmonic published the exact program so late. We have only three weeks to go. Normally the berlin philharmonic published the program much earlier. 

I agree. The program changes in vienna happened months in advance.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's one possible program change though - cancellation. :mellow:

Anything can happen these days. I am a bit worried that he could be fatigued on saturday after two full concerts. On the other hand, Blomstedt is touring Europe and is 94...

I see no cancellation. He is in good shape and covid won´t be a factor in 3 weeks. I think JW will have good doctors and physiotherapists. I think he will arrive early enough in germany. Then he can relax some days. I think he will not only conduct the Berlin Philharmonic. There are many cultural offers and Museums he can visit. I think he will do there something...

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's one possible program change though - cancellation. :mellow:

Since I visited the concert there yesterday I am quite optimistic that this will work out in three weeks as well.

But probably there will be no autograph session.

Will everyone wear a self made JWFan T-Shirt so that we recognize eachother?

Back side "JWFan.com", front side "Avatar & Nickname?

So is it just me.... or does anyone else prefer to avoid reading what the program will be? I steered clear of it for Vienna, and I truly believe the wow factor was amped up even higher because each piece was a surprise. (Apart from I knew Hook would be the opening... and that's only because I accidentally read it on this site :lol:)

For me it's just like going to see a band. It's very rare that you know what they're going to play before they begin. I love the element of surprise, and it truly puts me in the palm of the hand of the performer. 

But, just like when the Vienna concerts were getting closer, I think I'm going to have to either stop checking this thread, or just be super careful. Already read some things I would have preferred not to know while skimming through. 

I'm just curious if I'm alone in this preference? (Cue some hilarious one word "yes" answers.) I'd love to know why you're either for or against, and if you can tell me without mentioning specifics about the upcoming program that would be much appreciated :D

JW is in very good shape. Look here: 

https://www.lynnharrellfoundation.org/lynn-harrell-in-remembrance-live-stream

@GerateWohl: No there is no autograph Session planned because of covid. I have asked at the philharmonic. 

17 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But probably there will be no autograph session.

Is there any possibility of an autograph session in any of the days?

I may bring my toothless JP booklet just in case...

3 minutes ago, heritage said:

@GerateWohl: No there is no autograph Session planned because of covid. I have asked at the philharmonic. 

Oh i see. Makes sense.

There would have been if there was no covid? It seems something wearing to do for an old man.

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I never really understood this autograph thing anyway. Standing in a crowd of people stalking a celebrety to ask for a signature, and then what?

Yeah, it looks totally awkward and I'd never do it personally.

Anyway, I've already got his autograph printed on the back of Gerhardt's TESB album. ;)

In January last year (before covid) i was at the Cologne Philharmonic. There was the Chicago Symphony Orchestra with Riccardo Muti. After the concert Muti sit on a chair and gave autographs. It was a nice experience. It was the  first time i have seen that. But thats not normal...

21 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I REALLY hope an album and/or Blu-Ray comes from this like the concert in Vienna.

Why should no Berlin Album come :conf: Thats a one in a lifetime performance for the Berlin Philharmonic and for JW. They would be completely insane when they not bring out an Album. The only question is where they will publish it. At their own label or at DG. I hope for the own label....

Is it possible to download the saturday concert on my hard drive when i have a ticket for the digital concert hall or is it only for live viewing ? Does anybody knows that here ?

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I was thinking on an assembled official thing.. with a chair and a table and people pass along.

But yes, with the virus better not risk it.

I experienced such a assembled table official thing in Zurich back in the 90ties with Georg Solti at 80+. I was lucky, but there was this body-guard-like team suddenly terminating the whole fun: "Now that's enough for today...the Maestro needs a rest...please understand!" (in other words: piss off).

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I never really understood this autograph thing anyway. Standing in a crowd of people stalking a celebrety to ask for a signature, and then what? I thought anyway this autograph thing has been more or less replaced by this even more intrusive selfie shooting.

If a photograph or a signature is a dedication is the result of a pleasant encounter for both sides it is something different. But I guess, that this is quite rare at such concerts. 

So, in that regard I am probably a lousy fan.

I got James Horner's autograph 2013 in Vienna. Felt awful afterwards. Still do. Seems like such a waste to spend this tiny amount of time that you get to spend with your hero(s) watching them to write their name on something....

23 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I got James Horner's autograph 2013 in Vienna. Felt awful afterwards. Still do. Seems like such a waste to spend this tiny amount of time that you get to spend with your hero(s) watching them to write their name on something....

At least you saw him write it. I have a book with Morricone's autograph that came in the mail, and so I don't even know when or how it was signed.

1 hour ago, heritage said:

Is it possible to download the saturday concert on my hard drive when i have a ticket for the digital concert hall or is it only for live viewing ? Does anybody knows that here ?

I think it is only live viewing, but don’t quote me on that.

2 hours ago, heritage said:

Hopefully not. This concert will definitely be released on Blu-ray, and the possibility of downloading it to a computer could have a negative impact on sales.