John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

6 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I got James Horner's autograph 2013 in Vienna. Felt awful afterwards. Still do. Seems like such a waste to spend this tiny amount of time that you get to spend with your hero(s) watching them to write their name on something....

That was poorly organised. During their first years, Hollywood in Vienna was very informal, and if you happened to attend the rehearsals or the symposium, you just went up to the composers (if they weren't busy) and asked them for an autograph. I got Randy Newman's autographs right there in the rehearsal hall (and it was probably the funniest "star moment" I have experienced, not so much my autograph but that of the guy after me). With Horner, possibly because they knew he was rather on the introvert side (and I'm sure at least partially because they had their own plans and wanted Horner to follow them), they were surprised when after the Horner interview session, there was a crowd of people outside asking for his autograph. Horner was more than happy to sign anything they gave him, but the organisers soon carted him off to whatever they'd planned next. I was lucky to have been hired by Thor to shoot photos of his interview with Horner the next day, so I got a chance to get my copy of Sneakers signed after that. Since then, they've had official signing tables & queues, and only for those who attended (and paid for) the sympoisum, and even then I think they cut them short if they took more time than they had planned for.

On 21/09/2021 at 8:01 AM, heritage said:

@Carlborg: I´am in the Motel One at Potsdamer Platz. I think thats the best choice for hotel near the philhramonic. You have a short walk und the hotel is not expensive (around 93 Euro for Single Room for one night). And you can cancel the Hotel for free if the concert will be cancelled. 

On 21/09/2021 at 9:51 AM, St0rMl0rD said:

I booked the Motel One at Alexanderplatz :)

On 21/09/2021 at 10:12 AM, heritage said:

Motel One is always a good choice for a City trip. Alexanderplatz is further away from the philharmonic than the Potsdamer Platz. But its around 10 Euro per night cheaper...

Would the Motel One at Mitte option be a good choice too? Which location would be in a central location which is both close to the Philharmonie and the rest of the attractions in Berlin?

20 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Would the Motel One at Mitte option be a good choice too? Which location would be in a central location which is both close to the Philharmonie and the rest of the attractions in Berlin?

That's where I'm staying. There isn't really ONE central location in Berlin. It has many different central locations, so you need to get around with public transportation anyway (whether to the concert hall or other places). I've stayed many places in Berlin over the years, but never really close to Kreuzberg. So that's what I'm doing now, at Motel One Mitte.

I'm extremely busy these days, but I need to set aside time at some point to plan my stay. After all, it spiralled from being a quick stopover for the concert to a 5-day holiday. And since I've already seen and experienced most of what the city has to offer, I need to think creatively about how to fill the days. I will post in the "get-together" thread when I have my itinerary sorted out.

@Carlborg: The best Option for the Philharmonic is the Motel one at Potsdamer Platz.  You have to walk around 1km to the philharmonic and you have a big U+S Station there. Thats around 100m to walk from the Hotel. Bus Station is also a short walk. From all that you can reach all famous things in Berlin. If you ask me i would prefer this Option over Alexanderplatz or Mitte.

43 minutes ago, heritage said:

@Carlborg: The best Option for the Philharmonic is the Motel one at Potsdamer Platz.  You have to walk around 1km to the philharmonic and you have a big U+S Station there. Thats around 100m to walk from the Hotel. Bus Station is also a short walk. From all that you can reach all famous things in Berlin. If you ask me i would prefer this Option over Alexanderplatz or Mitte.

Not sure why it's so important to live close to the Philharmonie. It's easy to get there by public transportation, and there's not much happening around there otherwise. I would recommend living near a more "happening" place instead. So Alexanderplatz and Mitte are actually much better options if you want to experience the Berlin feel a bit more.

@Thor: After the concert i want to walk to the hotel and not drive with Bus, U or S Train.  Thats the fact i prefer the MO Potsdamer Platz. And for sightseeing on day you reach all famous places via U or S train from Potsdamer Platz Station or by Bus. So why should Alexanderplatz or Mitte is a better option :conf: I cannot understand that.

If you're a tourist from abroad, you might want to experience the city more. The area around the Philharmonie is a boring place. So to me, a good travel experience beats out the convenience of walking distance from the venue. But to each their own and all that.

Berlin Mitte is not really a Happening place ;) For good travel experience you need a good Bus, U + S train Station like Potsdamer Platz. Why ? Because Berlin has no typical City Centre. There are many areas with shops, Bars, Restaurants, Museums and so on. But thats my opinion and experience. Everybody can has another opinion. 

Kreuzberg ist not the savest place to be in the night. And on day :conf: Second Hand Stores, a big turkish community with their Pubs and restaurants, street coffee shops, many students and some artists. Not a very nice area for me. In early days it was a social focal Point. Sure now it is better. Museum Island, Hackescher Markt, Reichstag, Brandenburger Tor, Fernsehturm, Unter den Linden, Gedächtniskirche  etc. are far away from Kreuzberg. Only the Jüdische Museum with Holocaust Monument and maybe check Point Charlie are near in the Region Kreuzberg...

Everyone has his own opinion. Yours must not be mine ;)

Go in the evening or night to the Kottbuser Tor or Görlitzer Park. Then you will see what i mean ;)

If you like to have that nostalgic 80s and early 90s experience of visiting a bar where you can hardly look two meters ahead because of all the cigarette smoke and next morning you smell like an ash tray, Kreuzberg is definitely the place to go.

Hi everyone! What do you think, as it is not seen in the official program, will Mr Williams conduct the Star Wars Main Theme in one of the Encore? I would be a little sad if it will miss out :( 

@Steve: I think ASM will be at the conerts. JW and ASM are best Friends. They appreciate each other. But whether she will play ? I don´t know but it can be. Theme from Schindlers List is also my favourite. It would be awsome when that happen..

12 hours ago, Steve said:

Anne Sophie Mutter will make an appearance for the encores and play "Schindlers List" and "Nice to be around". That's my guess.

According to her website, looks like she travels to Germany after the Violinconcert with Williams on Oct 2 in Boston. Her next concert listed there is on 21 Oct in Regensburg (Germany). https://www.anne-sophie-mutter.de/konzerte/

Would be really nice, if she plays some of the encores.

Anne Sophie Mutter is a classical music superstar. I can hardly believe that she will attend such concerts just out of nowhere without announcement. And if she did, it would possibly be just at one of the concerts, not on all three of them. Probably she and Williams rather meet for a cup of coffee in the afternoon than sharing the stage in the evening.

Also she will be at the Carnegie hall next year. They probably thought Vienna was enough for now in Europe with the Across the Stars project.

But onestly who cares, it will be a beautiful show even without all the pieces arranged for her but with the setlist played by the 2nd orchestra in the world and "original" arrangement of them (read Superman...). Apart Schindler's List...or Rey's:) but these pieces could only be in the encores, we will see, not being in the playlist. I would like to ear the Imperial March in the encores.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Anne Sophie Mutter is a classical music superstar. I can hardly believe that she will attend such concerts just out of nowhere without announcement. And if she did, it would possibly be just at one of the concerts, not on all three of them. Probably she and Williams rather meet for a cup of coffee in the afternoon than sharing the stage in the evening.

Or in his royal suite...

I have never seen the Royal Concergebouw Orchestra. But on Sunday i will see the Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra. Thats members of the string section from the RCO. I´am excited. But normally i see Berlin and Vienna over the RCO. Look at the events all over the world. When Berlin or Vienna are playing its often sold out. RCO has not that Standing as these two. Same with LSO, Chicago, Cleveland, Boston etc. All world class orchestras. But Berlin and Vienna stand out...

Sure thats no sign for the quality. But for the Standing of a orchestra. People look even more a Vienna or Berlin Philharmonic than a RCO. But beyond that i cannot see that the RCO plays better than Vienna or Berlin 

I'm wondering what's Germany's current policy regarding vaccines and testing:

• Mixing vaccines between shot 1 and 2: Is this now allowed for visitors? That is, Biontech/Pfizer in combination with Moderna?
  • How many days must have passed since the 2nd shot to qualify as fully vaccinated?
  • Do they require any test prior to boarding an airplane to Germany?

The policy about vaccination just says, you have to be vaccinated twice. They don't really care, which vaccine or combination you are using. If you have proven recovered from COVID like me, you need just one shot of any COVID vaccine. But you need an evidence for recovery and vaccination.

I am not sure how it is in Norway. But within the EU you can get some kind of certificate of immunization and load it into your smartphone (if you have a Corona warn-App installed.

Here in Berlin since a week every public business or institution has the right to only grant access under 2G condition (recovered or fully vaccinated). Just testing (3G, genesen (recovered), geimpft (vaccinated), getestet (tested)) is then not allowed anymore. But this can be decided by each event organizer him or herself. Philharmonie requires 2G as far as I know.

You only have recovered status for half a year, no matter if you still have proven anti-bodies against CoViD.

In 2G locations the staff does not need to wear masks anymore, but customers still have to. In public transport it must be FFP2 masks, at Philharmonie as well. Anywhere else, just medical masks, as far as I know.

Children under the age of 12 can access 2G locations if they have a certificate of a negative test that is not older than 24 hours. Everyone else must be recovered (not longer than 6 Month ago) or vaccinated twice (since at least two weeks).