John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah John would select the pieces. Don't see why anyone else would be involved. 

He would curate the order according to whatever he thinks is the best listening experience. I guess changes just happen depending on his mood or what pieces would be best suited to the orchestra's strengths. 

Sometimes I wonder if the set lists in such concerts are rather intended for the usual visitor of the Philharmonie classical concerts to show to them that there is something relevant going on in John Williams' musical area or if they are more for John Williams fans to give them a live performance of the music with a world class orchestra.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Wonder whether there is something to the rumours that ASM will show-up with Schindlers and Cinders.

Are there such rumours, aside from people here betting on it?

Hi guys, I have one extra ticket available in original price if anyone want.

Great view, right in the middle, A Link ticket, Row 9 Seat 22 for 14/10 show.  PM me if you're interested! :music:

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Are there such rumours, aside from people here betting on it?

I was intrigued by some of ASM's recent facebook entries suggesting that she had been back in studio for Violin Concerto No. 2 and more film tunes, as well as a surprise appearance of JW in Dallas to give Cinderella as encore (following a concert conducted by Fabio Luisi). But this could just be some old thread...

On 02/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, MaxTheHouseelf said:

If you're between 16 and 28 years old, you can attend the first part of the final (general) rehearsal (60 minutes) with Williams on 13th Oct 16:00, for free!

Why did they have to announce it after the flight tickets have been bought, and the hotels have been booked? I would've come to Berlin on the 13th otherwise.

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

Why did they have to announce it after the flight tickets have been bought, and the hotels have been booked? I would've come to Berlin on the 13th otherwise.

Probably, this is intended rather for the local youth than for tourists. Anyway, my kids are too young and I am too old. So, bad luck as well.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Probably, this is intended rather for the local youth than for tourists.

@Jurassic Shark deduced that I look German, so I feel like I should also be entitled to the privileges of the local German youth

Ask the one who is 16 years old, theoretically can also go to Berlin on Thursday, but has a project with the school and can not. I have the trouble of my life. If someone is there, maybe someone can record it?

35 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

And then there was this "Heidi" session in Hamburg, Germany, back in the 60ties.

So Ireland?

Yes, I was asking about Europe as a whole, including Ireland and the UK...

Then Berlin will be the third? (Ireland when?, Vienna, Berlin)

40 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

And then there was this "Heidi" session in Hamburg, Germany, back in the 60ties.

That wouldn't qualify as a concert with audience, though.

He's performed multiple times in the UK, from the 70s to the 90s.

So after LA and Boston, i hope JW is now prepared enough for Berlin. In Berlin he conduct all three events alone. Its a hard program for him, maybe much harder than LS and Boston...But I´am very optimistic that he can do it..

On 04/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, St0rMl0rD said:

I always wondered, how are these setlists put together? Does John put them together himself first, and then consult with the orchestra's management or however? And why and how do the setlist changes occur? I'm really curious.

William Ross selects the pieces.

Is here anyobdy who hast the Boston Symphony Orchestra Complete Recordings on DG Box set :conf: There is one CD with JW. The BSO plays next year in Hamburg and Leipzig so i think about the box. But i don´t know how to classify the BSO in comparison to Chicago, Cleveland, Berlin, Vienna etc.  

Yes i have seen. But there are other interesting symphonies and pieces in the Box. And there are six CD with Chamber Music. I have never seen a box, that only handled by one orchestra. Normally boxes are made for conductors or soloists. That makes that box interesting i think. But is the BSO a world class orchestra such as Berlin, Vienna, Chicago, Cleveland etc....

The BSO is part of "The Big Five" in the USA, but I don't think it's usually counted among the top ten in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_(orchestras)

Btw, there's been a number of large CD boxes in recent years dedicated to one specific orchestra.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The BSO is part of "The Big Five" in the USA, but I don't think it's usually counted among the top ten in the world.

Gramophone had it on No. 11 eleven years ago:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/the-world-s-greatest-orchestras

11 minutes ago, heritage said:

Can you tell me some Boxes dedicated to one specific orchestra :conf: I have not found anything, only a New York Box.

These, for starters:

91q9zdVz0ZL._SL1500_.jpg

Big Boxes: Abbado's Complete DG Berlin Recordings - Classics Today

813J3U6VSXL._SL1500_.jpg

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Exactly.

Some random ones from the first 20 pages of Amazon's "Classical Music Box Sets" listing:

Rule of thumb: If you can think of a criterion to bundle and re-sell recordings from the catalogue as a box set, somebody has made that box set.

Oh ok, thanks. The Abbado and Berlin looks interesting.

The ranking is over ten years old. I think there are some changes at the Moment. I have seen in Boston is Andris Nelsons. He is a really good young conductor. LSO i don´t like. Rattle will go away in the next years. 

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If you can think of a criterion to bundle and re-sell recordings from the catalogue as a box set, somebody has made that box set.

Rule of thumb: it's not remastered, except in exceptional cases.

5 hours ago, carux79 said:

Tickets out!…

Why so many?

By the way, JW is not receiving the Opus Klassik Life Achievement Award on Oktober 10. He needs to perform with the Berliners first. ;-)

Wow how many tickets available…

is it customary that at open day they only released a portion of the seats and now they are selling the rest?

buy i dont understand the isolated ones that appeared randomly…

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow how many tickets available…

is it customary that at open day they only released a portion of the seats and now they are selling the rest?

buy i dont understand the isolated ones that appeared randomly…

This somehow looks organised as there are mostly high-priced tickets. But good to see that there are still possibilities for opportunists.

A luxury problem really. But only as long as JW shows up in person.

So i have now ordered the BSO Box (complete DG) and one from Isaac Stern (Complete Analogue Recording). 

The Berlin Philharmonic and LSO Box are only with Abbado i have seen. The BSO Box is more varied with many Conductors and with Chamber music. It is a good overview for orchester music i think. And the Stern Box is very good for violin music.  

20 hours ago, heritage said:

Oh ok, thanks. The Abbado and Berlin looks interesting.

The ranking is over ten years old. I think there are some changes at the Moment. I have seen in Boston is Andris Nelsons. He is a really good young conductor. LSO i don´t like. Rattle will go away in the next years. 

"LSO I don't like." That is rather a harsh statement on a JW fan portal.

Maybe it is. Why is Rattle gone to Munich ? Perhaps the LSO is not in the best shape. After Brexit and Corona not many say they have Financial Problems. They promised Rattle that he get a new concert Hall. But nothings works. The sound of the Barbarian hall is one of the worst in the world. 

59 minutes ago, heritage said:

Maybe it is. Why is Rattle gone to Munich ? Perhaps the LSO is not in the best shape. After Brexit and Corona not many say they have Financial Problems. They promised Rattle that he get a new concert Hall. But nothings works. The sound of the Barbarian hall is one of the worst in the world. 

Well at least they are still heavily into Star Wars...

London Symphony Orchestra - Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in Concert (lso.co.uk)