John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

1 hour ago, heritage said:

All private ? Is there a Stones, McCartney, Springsteen etc. concert everybody knows the location they will stay. Thats no secret...

If you say so, I've never heard anyone claiming they have that information or are interested in it.

I think there are many interested. I was in Düsseldorf a couple of years ago when McCartney was driven from his hotel to the sound check. There were hundreds of people in front of the hotel and waiting.

You're right, Steve. I thought for a moment to investigate the possibility of meeting/interviewing him (which I have done in the past when I've seen him live), but in the end decided not to -- especially in these covid times.

4 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Very late to the hotel booking party but can anyone remind of a cool / safe neighbourhood to look for a hotel? 

all the Motel One hotels are a good choice. I wouldn't say that there are unsafe areas in Berlin. it feels safer here than Paris or London. of course, that's subjective. 

really safe and nice area is around Kollwitzplatz in Prenzlauer Berg. 

7 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Very late to the hotel booking party but can anyone remind of a cool / safe neighbourhood to look for a hotel? 

I can suggest what I booked, the hotel Grimm's Potsdamer Platz. It is only 650m from the Philharmonie (therefore manageable also on foot if you prefer to walk) and is also very close to the metro station in case you want to use it for other movements in the city.

But Motel One is a little clooser to the Philharmonie. Although in Berlin it always depends on what you want to be closer to, having several "centers" of interest. I've been trying to study the city for the last month...:)

maybe if you're alone, avoid kreuzberg at night. Or better say, from what I read, there is a lot of nightlife there and as in all big cities this can be positive or negative...depend.

12 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

all the Motel One hotels are a good choice. I wouldn't say that there are unsafe areas in Berlin. it feels safer here than Paris or London. of course, that's subjective. 

really safe and nice area is around Kollwitzplatz in Prenzlauer Berg. 

11 hours ago, Hugo said:

I can suggest what I booked, the hotel Grimm's Potsdamer Platz. It is only 650m from the Philharmonie (therefore manageable also on foot if you prefer to walk) and is also very close to the metro station in case you want to use it for other movements in the city.

But Motel One is a little clooser to the Philharmonie. Although in Berlin it always depends on what you want to be closer to, having several "centers" of interest. I've been trying to study the city for the last month...:)

maybe if you're alone, avoid kreuzberg at night. Or better say, from what I read, there is a lot of nightlife there and as in all big cities this can be positive or negative...depend.

Thank you both very much.

I went Grimm!

I still have 1 ticket for 14th Oct, Block E Row 3, available.

I sell it at half price, since I don't need it anymore and in the next few days I will fly to Berlin to be at the concert.

In case someone will be in Berlin for some days and was interested in attending also an extra evening it could be an interesting opportunity just considering the very low cost;).

Also the seat is good, very close to the podium and with a very interesting view to see JW while directing.

In case someone is interested PM me (in these last days, then like everyone else I have to leave for Berlin!)

Hello Guys!

Just a short question. As I read, we will need an antigen test for the enter to the concert fomr the day of it. Is anybody know a place in Berlin, where we can do it? Or Book a time sheet?

And earlier there was a link where was a document what need to fill out but now I cant see nowhere (Name, row, seat, concert date, etc possible to replace a Covid App)

Thanks a lot :D 

@Nathan1425 You just need the test if you don't have a certificate of vaccination or recovery from CoViD not older than five Month.

The free test offering does not exist anymore to my knowledge.

Information about test offerings you can find here: https://www.berlin.de/corona/en/testing-facilities/

On 10/10/2021 at 12:34 AM, Hugo said:

I can suggest what I booked, the hotel Grimm's Potsdamer Platz.

21 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

I went Grimm!

I booked Grimm as well. Apparently, it's a Grimm's fairytale-themed hotel, which sounds cool. Also, it's relatively cheap.

20 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I booked Grimm as well. Apparently, it's a Grimm's fairytale-themed hotel, which sounds cool. Also, it's relatively cheap.

Last time I saw you pal was at Kmoakeller in Vienna (oh, and then in the audience when playing the blu-ray!)

9 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Last time I saw you pal was at Kmoakeller in Vienna (oh, and then in the audience when playing the blu-ray!)

Which nights are you staying at Grimm's? We could have breakfast together!

Under FAQ - How do I get a test appointment? - is the following:

You are responsible for booking an appointment yourself. We advise you to make an appointment at your preferred test centre as early as possible, as there is limited capacity at any one time. You will find all test centres certified by the state of Berlin at test-to-go.berlin.

The link:

https://test-to-go.berlin/?lang=en

WHO IS READY

New article on Berliner Philharmoniker website:

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/stories/john-williams-portrait/?fbclid=IwAR0uhLBWS9SuelAwBtxxuMhUkq_6gM-f1P9VrQs16HGWBpCCNMZqqgrFfEE

Would it be correct to assume that John arrived to Berlin this past weekend and they had their first rehearsals together today?

8 hours ago, Nathan1425 said:

Hello Guys!

Just a short question. As I read, we will need an antigen test for the enter to the concert fomr the day of it. Is anybody know a place in Berlin, where we can do it? Or Book a time sheet?

And earlier there was a link where was a document what need to fill out but now I cant see nowhere (Name, row, seat, concert date, etc possible to replace a Covid App)

Thanks a lot :D 

Or a double dose of vaccination and the EU-covid passport with you at the entrance (if you’re traveling within the EU).

If I understand correctly?

10 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Or a double dose of vaccination and the EU-covid passport with you at the entrance.

If I understand correctly?

3G plus FFP2 mask throughout...

Visiting information | Berliner Philharmoniker (berliner-philharmoniker.de)

To be admitted to our concerts, you will need the following documents – digitally or, if you prefer, as a printout:

• Your ticket
  • Your negative test result from the day of the event for an infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (rapid antigen test or PCR test).

• or proof of complete Covid 19 vaccination with a vaccine approved by the European Union (the last vaccination must have been given at least 14 days ago).
    • orproof of your recovery (positive PCR test result at least 28 days but no more than six months ago or, in the case of a more recent infection, in conjunction with at least one vaccination against Covid-19).
  • Your photo ID

Please note our current hygiene regulations as well as the detailed questions and answers about attending the concert. Visitors who do not comply with the requirements may be removed from the event. In such cases, there is no entitlement to a refund of the ticket price.

Our concerts take place subject to the respective authorisation. Should changes to the schedule, such as concert cancellations, be necessary due to other instructions from the Senate, we will of course refund the tickets purchased.

How do I get a test appointment?

You are responsible for booking an appointment yourself. We advise you to make an appointment at your preferred test centre as early as possible, as there is limited capacity at any one time. You will find all test centres certified by the state of Berlin at test-to-go.berlin.

Can I also present a home test result?

Results from non-certified test centres or other test results (such as home tests) will not be accepted for admission. You will find all test centres certified by the state of Berlin at test-to-go.berlin.

Do I have to wear a mask during the concert? What kind of masks are accepted?

Despite the requirement that every concert guest has a negative test result or is fully vaccinated or recovered, our hygiene and safety measures apply. For this reason, FFP2 masks are mandatory during the entire stay at the Philharmonie Berlin for your protection and that of other guests.  Please remember to bring your own mouth and nose covering, and note that only FFP2 masks without a valve are acceptable. A medical certificate does not exempt you from the mandatory wearing of masks.

Hey guys I have two single tickets available as my wife can’t attend due to travel restrictions.  They are both on sale if anyone interested

14/10 A Link Row 9 selling at €80

16/10 B Link Row 8 selling at €70

On 15/06/2021 at 10:40 AM, toothless said:

Would you know how it compares to the philharmonie in Paris? It's basically the only "big" concert hall I know the acoustic realy well.

The acoustics in Paris are not exactly the same as in Berlin. I am not sure I would call them out dated either at all......

It really depends totally on person preference I think. Being at symphony hall in Boston recently, where I haven't been for almost a decade, i was actually kind of shocked. The so called "sweet spot" of the hall in the back balcony really wasn't great, the best spots were just above the orchestra in the balconies, but even so that was not perfect but much improved. I would call those acoustics out dated, but the hall is built that way there isn't much that can be done.

On the total flip side, the main concert hall in Beijing for example, you can literally hear a pin drop from any seat in the place. I have never heard acoustics so good. But I can see for example, old world style conductors or orchestras not liking that kind of sound, thinking it too sterile or something.

I would say the hall in Berlin is between those two, I personally think it is a nice sounding room, although the only piece I ever heard there was Gurre-Lieder that requires some 200 performers, so impossible NOT to hear well. But it has a clean but warm sound, if that makes any sense.

So I guess the short answer is they are similar, but not exactly the same which would really drill down to a preference thing. Although have they been refining the place since it opened? I haven't been there since maybe 2016, I think the alst time I was there it was to see LA Phil play Williams "Soundings"or Barenboim playing Schubert. Both sounded very good in that room.

The Berlin Phil is one of the finest concert halls in the world. Like Vienna (Musikverein)  Amsterdam (Concertgebouw), Boston (Symphony Hall), Cleveland (Serverance Hall), Tokio (Suntory Hall), Luzern (KKL), Zürich (Tonhalle Maag) etc. These halls have all their own Mythos over years. So which one is better ? I don´t know. But bad is none of them. Berlin is famous for the warm sound. I like it. Hamburg Elphilharmonie for example ist not so warm sounding. But everyone has other priorities.

On 09/10/2021 at 5:10 AM, crumbs said:

Anyone have a rough idea of his itinerary? Assume he's flying a private charter direct from New York to Berlin?

He probably fly directly from Boston to Berlin a day or two after the concert he conducted in Boston on October 3rd

Given the COVID circumstances, we are quite lucky that the program is not shorter and without an interval.

I'm just wondering whether there will be CD/vinyl/Bluray releases if the recording streams 30 days after the performance and is deposited in the digital concert hall archive.

The short duration is fine by me. Leaves more room for post-concert drinks! ;)

Expectedly, it's a string of 'evergreens', but I'm looking forward to hearing the Elegy (one of my absolute favourite concert pieces by JW) live, in particular.

I was in the last months at several classic concerts in germany. None was under 90 Minutes playing time without encore :( Some were with Interval, some without.

I cannot Imagine that the Berlin Philharmonic will miss out on the money for getting a commercial release. And i think we are talking about quite a bit of money ;)

2 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Well, the Digital Concert Hall has basically every concert of the BerlinPhil and the other stream is just a local radio broadcast with limited (30 day) availability and probably just lossy mp3 quality right? I don't think anyone in their right mind would miss out on the opportunity to make at least a nice CD and digital release out of this. Especially considering the bestselling Vienna album and the BerlinPhil's own label. I'll be surprised if nothing is released within the next 6 months... I'm pretty optimistic in this regard ;)

So in that case, is it safe now to assume DG will not be doing it? Is it a given that their own label will take care of this?

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So in that case, is it safe now to assume DG will not be doing it? Is it a given that their own label will take care of this?

I have no idea. I mean the (physical) boxsets produced by the BerlinPhil Label seem to contain all more than just one concert I think. https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/?___store=rec_en&___from_store=rec_de

I don't know, if they would prepare such a physical release of just one concert of 75-90 min by themselves. Digital release is a different thing. You find for example "Beethoven Symphony No.9" as separate, single release in digital stores (with Berlin Phil label) and without the other stuff that is included in the boxset.

Just now, May the Force be with You said:

It's maybe a silly question but are cameras allowed inside? I don't plan to film the whole concert but was hoping to take some better pictures than with my phone

During the concert no photographs are allowed. But you can take pictures after and before the performances. As far as I know. 

9 minutes ago, Kühni said:

A reminder that the concert can be live-streamed:

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/53783

Will this be available on-demand afterwards?

The concert happens 4am local time for me, so... not exactly convenient for Australians.