John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

5 minutes ago, MfL85 said:

Thank you so much for your kind words, my friend! Wasn`t it a wonderful concert? I would say it was even a tiny bit better than the Thursday performance. The Berlin Phil seem to so into these pieces by now and played their heart out like they knew this might be the last time they played under the baton of the Maestro and gave everything they had!

John Williams was in a good mood as ever but I felt - judging from the livestream - that he shortened some of the storys he told on Thursday a little bit. However he called the Berlin Phil "probably the best orchestra of the world"... well, take that Vienna! ;)

Not sure what you are referring to here.

Today he remembered the name of Sean Connery, but I can't recall any other difference although I may have missed some (I had to prepare dinner at a certain point...).

Oh, and obviously he didn't tell the story he had mentioned on Thursday when introducing Leia' s theme 🤔😁😇.

1 minute ago, ciarlese said:

Not sure what you are referring to here.

Today he remembered the name of Sean Connery, but I can't recall any other difference although I may have missed some (I had to prepare dinner at a certain point...).

Oh, and obviously he didn't tell the story he had mentioned on Thursday when introducing Leia' s theme 🤔😁😇.

Hm just when he talked about Berlin at the beginning... I dont know I just felt you feel that he told the story like two times already. But maybe it was just me.

I really hope DG does an album release of this. I imagine they'd like to, after the success of the Vienna album(s). If not them, then perhaps the orchestra's own label would do it?

2 hours ago, Michael G. said:

I slapped my wrist to the point of pain.:lol: But it was a wonderful evening. Just saw him walk out. We sang Raiders March, he listened and gave us a quick wave. Magical:lol:

Yes I was there outside too - he was really smiling when we sang to him!

12 minutes ago, Locrius said:

I really hope DG does an album release of this. I imagine they'd like to, after the success of the Vienna album(s). If not them, then perhaps the orchestra's own label would do it?

Not. DG.

20 minutes ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

There must be someone around here who knows how to download that. :) right?!

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, did anyone else listening to RBB Kultur notice a particularly weird thing going on where the sound would continually become sharp and muffled, as if someone was constantly adjusting something, or are my headphones broken already? (Please let them not be broken, they cost €150 and I only got them last year.) It was especially prevalent during the applause and there was occasional crackling on the left channel too.

Yes also me noticed this. Try the direct link posted above. Probably during the radio stream there was some filter in action that caused weird things, with the direct file seems ok (or at least it seems to me for the minutes I have listen to it)

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Thanks so much for posting the MP3. But wow, these performances are even better than I remember earlier, watching the stream! Some of these may even beat all the competition.

Williams said the Berlin Philharmonic are the best orchestra in the world. Discuss.

Btw. Most principal players from woodwinds and brass were missing this week (only trombones and trumpets were there)

12 minutes ago, Steve said:

Most principal players from woodwinds and brass were missing this week (only trombones and trumpets were there

Should we read anything into this? Were younger players prioritised or more interested in performing under Williams? 

41 minutes ago, Steve said:

Btw. Most principal players from woodwinds and brass were missing this week (only trombones and trumpets were there)

I noticed that. That kind of bugged me. I thought they still sounded great, but for instance it would have been nice to see Stefan Dohr on 1st horn. Actually, some of the people I saw playing 1st, I don't even see them listed on the Berlin Phil website as members... Did they bring in freelancers to play principal? Strange.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Not. DG.

Any reason why? Is it something to do with the Vienna album?

14 minutes ago, Locrius said:

Did they bring in freelancers to play principal? Strange.

Nope. They have their own academy and it’s totally normal that their scholars join the orchestra. I think it’s a wonderful thing. They are listed here.

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/academy/scholarsgraduates/

7 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Is it downloadable?

no

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm happy to pay if I can get an on-demand version.

you will! It will be archived and it's accessible in a couple of days.

3 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I think that was due to covid capacity restrictions 

There were no restrictions.

People were required to have the relevant certificates in order to enter, and wear an ffp2 mask at all time, but no seat was made unavailable because of COVID.

4 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

People were required to have the relevant certificates in order to enter, and wear an ffp2 mask at all time, but no seat was made unavailable because of COVID.

Technically anyone who tested positive wouldn't have been allowed to attend or enter the country without quarantine though, right?

7 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

Another super spreader arrangement...

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well of course he did, it's a signature edition! :P

:mellow:

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Technically anyone who tested positive wouldn't have been allowed to attend or enter the country without quarantine though, right?

That's why there were required certificates.

But nothing to do with "capacity restrictions" mentioned before.