John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

1 minute ago, ciarlese said:

But nothing to do with "capacity restrictions" mentioned before.

Oh, understood. But COVID would explain why so many people who bought tickets weren't able to attend (and couldn't sell tickets at short notice).

It's likely that many people weren't able to board flights in their origin country after testing positive, too.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Oh, understood. But COVID would explain why so many people who bought tickets weren't able to attend (and couldn't sell tickets at short notice).

It's likely that many people weren't able to board flights in their origin country after testing positive, too.

Absolutely, including me. Luckily, I managed to ensure a fellow JW Fan could attend in my absence but not everyone would have been as lucky.

Utterly upset about the situation but it is what it is. All the more reason to make Milan happen!

Gutted for you @liam0001, but at least there's always Milan next year!

Unfortunately just a reality of international travel for the foreseeable future. Probably wise to self-isolate for two weeks prior, to avoid any risk of contracting COVID.

Easier said than done, obviously :(

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Should we read anything into this? Were younger players prioritised or more interested in performing under Williams? 

They played very well. There was no need for the old guard 😂

I was a little disappointed because many Berlin Philharmonic star players were not on board. I haven´t seen Dashin Kashimoto (violin),  Ludwig Quandt (Cello), Mathew McDonald (Bass),  Emmanuel Pahud and Mathieu Dufour (Flute), Albrecht Mayer (Oboe),  Andreas Ottensamer (Clarinet), Stefan Dohr (Horn) to name just a few. Have we seen only the second Guard of the Berlin Philharmonic ? I think a little bit..

That is not the topic. But the Berlin Philharmonic has some of the best and most famous soloists in the world. They are famous for that soloists. And when they not on board, then we have seen not the best Performers of the Orchestra. Thats a fact you have to say.

Like the Bayern Munich Football Team. When they play without their best players, then they play still good Football. But not the best...

10 minutes ago, heritage said:

That is not the topic. But the Berlin Philharmonic has some of the best and most famous soloists in the world. They are famous for that soloists. And when they not on board, then we have seen not the best Performers of the Orchestra. Thats a fact you have to say.

Like the Bayern Munich Football Team. When they play without their best players, then they play still good Football. But not the best...

However nicely to put it, they literally pulled a Boston Pops on Williams. Even if some of the scholars were amazing, the 20 000 euro / month performers that one can get used to in Berliner Phil recordings were noticeably missing in the sound of the orchestra. Nimbus 2000 showed it best. The group cohesion, agility, and precision there were... mixed.

Compare and contrast:

12 minutes ago, heritage said:

I really don't think that the lack of a few stars of the Berliner Philharmoniker would have such an impact on their performance at the concert as the absence of Robert Lewandowski in Bayern Munich in a football game. :)

Funny enough the program booklet does not say that the star solo players are not on board for these concerts. They are all listed in the program booklet. 

Pawel P.: Not all thats right. But Albrecht Mayer, Stefan Dohr, Andreas Ottensamer,  Emmanuel Pahud and Mathieu Dufour are not to be replaced. In no Orchestra of this world...

22 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I have it on a VPN from my local library, but the stream just doesn't load :(

Bizarrely, the stream only worked when I enabled an overseas VPN. Nothing would load from Australia (VPN enabled or otherwise). Quite strange.

The feed looks utterly glorious in 4K, I have to say. I really hope they release this on 4K Bluray or something.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Bizarrely, the stream only worked when I enabled an overseas VPN. Nothing would load from Australia (VPN enabled or otherwise). Quite strange.

The feed looks utterly glorious in 4K, I have to say. I really hope they release this on 4K Bluray or something.

I think this is not 4K, it's HD.

14 hours ago, apples said:

Noticed quite a few empty seats 🤔

8 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I think that was due to covid capacity restrictions 

5 hours ago, ciarlese said:

There were no restrictions.

People were required to have the relevant certificates in order to enter, and wear an ffp2 mask at all time, but no seat was made unavailable because of COVID.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Another super spreader arrangement...

probably there is also to consider that many (myself included) had more than one ticket for the same evening. I had two for the evening of the 14th, since I had modified my seat later with a better position. So for example my" first" seat remained empty, this also due to poor management of ticket sales/resale by the Philharmonie...but that's another story. This undoubtedly contributed to the presence of empty seats.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Probably wise to self-isolate for two weeks prior, to avoid any risk of contracting COVID.

:lol2:I did so (also delivery of food at home...) since I was not fully vaccinated, just to be sure that the day before departure the antigen test was negative.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wow! So if someone changed their seat, the original didn't go back up for sale? Strange.

they didn't manage the exchanges. So surely if you didn't sell it to someone it would be empty.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Is anyone else in Australia having trouble accessing tonight's repeat livestream?

Try watching it in a lower resolution. I was having trouble this morning (4AM Melbourne time!!) but the lower resolution fixed it for me.

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What's the sound quality?

43 minutes ago, Hugo said:

they didn't manage the exchanges. So surely if you didn't sell it to someone it would be empty.

So you got your money back for the first ticket, but they didn't manage to put it back for sale?

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So you got your money back for the first ticket, but they didn't manage to put it back for sale?

No, they did not accept refunds as indicated in the sales agreements. At the limit and in a completely exceptional way, after talking several times with them explaining the situation, there could be the possibility of receiving a voucher not the money back (I didn't need a voucher) and in that case the place would be put up for sale by them. I then continued to leave the ticket for sale. So as I wrote I had two tickets, used only one so there was an empty seat. Maybe for others, the things went the same.

However what a wonderful evening!! also my "best" seat turned out to be a great choice, I listened in an incredible way from that seat. In my ears imaging and "stereo" soundstage were perfect, and also the reverb relationship between direct sound, early reflections and decay was incredible (this also thanks to the Philharmonie Hall and its shape). A dream!

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Damn, so they won't be able to release surround? Or are you saying YOU are listening in stereo?

The 4K stream was stereo, but it's possible something else will come out later in surround sound.

The stream codec was lossy MPEG AAC.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The 4K stream was stereo, but it's possible something else will come out later in surround sound.

The stream codec was lossy MPEG AAC.

Oh, I see. Well, I wouldn't be too fussed if it remained stereo forever. It will sound terrific anyway.

18 hours ago, Ian Stouffer said:

For reference, how long was the gap from the Vienna concert to it's Blu-Ray/CD/Vinyl release? I want to own a copy of this concert.

The Vienna concerts took place on January 18 & 29 2020, and the BD / CD set arrived on May 4 2020

So does anyone know - will John Williams leave Berlin today or stay for some more time. In the concert it sounded like he will return to LA in one or two weeks. Maybe he will rest some days before flying home?