John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

I know this is sensitive to ask, but has anyone able to...capture..the live stream? I watched bits of it as I have access to the Digital Concert Hall and it sounded amazing, but unfortunately obligations prevented me from watching the whole thing. If not, no worries, should be available online in a few days, apparently.

10 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

I know this is sensitive to ask, but has anyone able to...capture..the live stream? I watched bits of it as I have access to the Digital Concert Hall and it sounded amazing, but unfortunately obligations prevented me from watching the whole thing. If not, no worries, should be available online in a few days, apparently.

The Berlin digitalhall archive will be having this 4KUHD stream once its been edited. You can login anytime to watch it. For newly registered the access is 7 days free trial. 

1 hour ago, BuzzLightyear said:

One of the coolest moments was, when he announced he would be composing new Indiana Jones music in a week or two, and the audience flipped out and making him smile about it.

One of my favourite details too! Such an outpouring of love and excitement at the news of him writing more Indiana Jones music. No doubt cemented in his mind he made the right decision to finish the series.

And to echo an earlier comment, glad Scherzo for Motorcycle is fresh on his mind instead of Adventures of Mutt.

1 hour ago, BuzzLightyear said:

When he announced it as "...the last 5 minutes of the movie" my first thought was "Oh my god, are they really playing T-Rex Rescue & Finale now? 

Hah! This threw me as well. Johnny needs to rewatch the film :P

42 minutes ago, Sibelius6 said:

I was hanging with the horn section after the Saturday concert. First horn Chris said that Johnny came to him and said that nothing wrong with his playing but John was too tired to conduct Leia's theme as an encore!!

Lovely anecdote! Thanks for sharing :)

The horns were glorious. Sarah Willis must have been in heaven!

I hope they release the Thursday performance at some point. Would love to hear that horn solo!

2 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I've also had that post-concert depression after Vienna, and I do have it now after Berlin. Luckily, La Scala next year gives me another John Williams experience to look forward to, so it's not that bad.

Yes, La Scala is a real perspective, and also imagining John Williams returning home with a suitcase full of German cookies, fond memories of Berlin and an appetite to pick-up pencil and paper for Indy 5 helps against this post-concert depression.

12 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I've also had that post-concert depression after Vienna, and I do have it now after Berlin. Luckily, La Scala next year gives me another John Williams experience to look forward to, so it's not that bad.

You groupies.

3 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

And now back to work in the home office here in overcast London.  How many unread emails, how many tasks to do — take me back to Grimm’s, Phiharmonie and Lindenbräu… 

034F6239-E463-4378-ADEE-7B4F85115357.jpeg

I hear you. Although I live in Berlin and its a sunny day its still surreal to get back into regular life...

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

Same!!

12 minutes ago, Damien F said:

El tema de Leia como el primer bis del jueves fue la primera pieza que tocó después de que el cazador de autógrafos corrió tras él cuando salía del escenario y fue retirado por seguridad. Lo primero que dijo Williams cuando regresó al podio fue "Aquí está el problema ..."

Por un segundo, pensé que iba a hablar sobre el problema con los cazadores de autógrafos, pero en realidad comenzó a hablar sobre el problema de escribir un "tema de amor" para Luke y Leia en A New Hope, quienes posteriormente resultaron ser hermanos. :jajaja:

I was lucky to go on Thursday. That piece sounded perfect.

The security guards didn't let that guy back in.

11 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Leia's Theme as the first encore on Thursday was the first piece he played after that autograph hunter ran after him as he was leaving the stage and was removed by security. The very first thing Williams said when he returned to the podium was "Here's the problem..."

For a second, I thought he was going to talk about the problem with autograph hunters, but he actually started talking about the problem of writing a "love theme" for Luke and Leia in A New Hope who subsequently turned out to be siblings. :lol:

Oh crap, there was an autograph hunter trying to get his autograph at the very concert? Yikes...You'd think people would have more respect and know better

19 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Oh crap, there was an autograph hunter trying to get his autograph at the very concert? Yikes...You'd think people would have more respect and know better

Yes.  He ran down the front row wielding his pen and programme just as Williams was walking off before the first encore.  

Williams kind of waved him away, then security removed him.

19 hours ago, heritage said:

(...), Emmanuel Pahud (...)

I think they don´t like film music. (...)

Counterpoint: He recorded an album with Alexandre Desplat, half of which consists of film score arrangements ;)

3 hours ago, Thor said:

True, but I do worry about THE FABELMANS in all of this busy schedule, even though there should be room for it, technically.

I'd hope getting away from his studio for a while and visiting new places does refresh his creative impulses!

I finally got home... i dont know how to write my experience...because i'm not a lenghty or detailed writer....

It was just amazing to be in the same room as john Williams, finally, and listeing to a great selection of his works. The sound of the venue was great, you could hear every detail. And even being in block B i could really see Williams very near, the arrangements of the seats is very good.

I have one question though. I found some of the transitions between the different parts of some pieces to be weird. Like part ends - micro silence - next part begins. I think it may have been a side effect of the perfect sound and performance, and with other performers-venue the echo or reberb from the first part would continue to overlap untill the nex part started being played... i dont know if i explain myself. I think it was specially noticeable in far and away if you want to check what i mean.

The best thing was listening Jurassic Park, the score that started it all for me :)

The only downside was not being able to meet the great people i have been talking to for decades here, either for some of them not being there and because i couldn't hang out before of after the concert anyway :(.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

To be fair, they have no/very few flubs to edit out this time. My biggest concern is, was Thursday and Friday recorded?

Yes, looked very much as if these concerts were also recorded - the automated cameras were moving and special mikes were placed in front of the cello for the elegy...

1 minute ago, heritage said:

i think recored are all three concerts. But on Saturday the team (JW and BP) was at its peak.

Except for the timpani flub in JP...

4 hours ago, Thor said:

True, but I do worry about THE FABELMANS in all of this busy schedule, even though there should be room for it, technically.

John will be like: "You need a better composer than me for your autobiography."

And Steven will answer: "Yes, I know, but they are all dead...".

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

One weird thing I noticed...is that with the performance of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra", Williams unknowningly may have been the 1st composer to perform Nazi music in the open in germany since the end of WWII... (Nazi motif from Last Crusade)

That' why he said "bad guys".

Just now, thx99 said:

Yes, I chuckled at "bad guys" and thought, how diplomatic of Williams.

Aren't Sean and Harrison even on their way to Berlin?

Quite frankly, I prefer a good Nazi-Donnybrook over Schindler's List which would have been quite depressive.

Sorry if this has already come up, but was the Far and Away suite new or rare in some way?  I'm familiar with the Perlman recording from Cinema Serenade and the new Mutter arrangement, but I don't know of a place where this suite has been recorded (even though it's likely, now that I think about it, that I heard it live in Chicago in 2007 under the title "County Galway, 19XX").

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Yes, looked very much as if these concerts were also recorded - the automated cameras were moving and special mikes were placed in front of the cello for the elegy...

Except for the timpani flub in JP...

Yes! I'm glad someone mentioned it, what the heck was that lol. A few bars off, maybe misread the line, haha.

4 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Yes.  He ran down the front row wielding his pen and programme just as Williams was walking off before the first encore.  

Williams kind of waved him away, then security removed him.

Williams should totally have done this.  It would’ve taught the fellow a lesson while also giving a nod to one of the pieces in the programme.

40Sa.gif

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

Sorry if this has already come up, but was the Far and Away suite new or rare in some way?  I'm familiar with the Perlman recording from Cinema Serenade and the new Mutter arrangement, but I don't know of a place where this suite has been recorded (even though it's likely, now that I think about it, that I heard it live in Chicago in 2007 under the title "County Galway, 19XX").

A Far and Away suite exists on one of the Prague samplers, but I didn't compare it yet.

32 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm not too familiar with concerts conducted by JW, but is it me or was he extremely happy and relaxed etc.? Or was Vienna just an exception? I just loved his speeches!

Berlin was my 7th time attending a JW concert. All others were in America. He was always somewhat informal but he did appear especially talkative and generally happy in Berlin. I got the impression he was simply really enjoying his time in Berlin and with that orchestra.

25 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

A Far and Away suite exists on one of the Prague samplers, but I didn't compare it yet.

I have that Far and Away suite on the "1969 - 1999" two disc compilation. Not sure if that recording appears on other compilation albums.

Surely his relaxed and talkative demeanour was due to him wearing one of his beloved black turtlenecks? Being in a shirt and tie for Vienna clearly did him no favours. All hail the power of the black turtleneck.

Every JWFan attending Milan should, here and now, vow to attend wearing a black turtleneck. Just think how energised that will make him…

Mark

What a week, what a concert! Many of you guys have already shared the dearest moments of your experience and I don’t think I can add anything different. I feel very privileged to  experience the Towner live, in my town 😀 

I attended to the Thursday concert and what an amazing experience it was. JW looked quite good and conducted with dedication. He was very involved and was in constant communication with the orchestra through gestures. The orchestra was fantastic! So many talented young players, capturing the sound of Berlin Phil nonetheless. I found some pieces to be particularly lyrical due to the soft and virtuosic strings, which makes me look forward to getting my hands on a potentially upcoming album. 

Many of you guys have commented on some principal players being missing and although I would’ve liked having all of them playing for JW, the orchestra was still just as good and vibrant. I definitely don’t think those players were absent because they didn’t wanna play under JW. Concerts like these are indeed great chances for young players to gain experience, while playing with their teachers/supervisors together. Besides, which is rather what I assume, that sometimes musicians receive their contracts a couple of seasons in advance and JW’s Berlin visit was frankly quite short noticed so they may have had other plans already.

I’ll definitely try to be in La Scala next year and this time I’d be happy to meet some of you fellow JW-Fans. 

PS: I coincidentally captured the moment with the autograph hunter 😁 Seemed like a young, clueless guy, who may have recklessly counted on JW’s good nature.