John Williams & Berliner Philharmoniker 14th/15th/16th Oct 2021

MaxTheHouseelf

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The original version he recorded in 1984 was only released on a rare CD in Japan titled "The Official Music Of The XXIIIrd Olympiad Los Angeles 1984":

https://www.discogs.com/release/544704-Various-The-Official-Music-Of-The-XXIIIrd-Olympiad-Los-Angeles-1984

Thr original version had a wide release on LP and cassette all around the world. Japan was the only country where it was released on CD because the format was still in its infancy.

2 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Thr original version had a wide release on LP and cassette all around the world. Japan was the only country where it was released on CD because the format was still in its infancy.

That's a rare one, I don't have it... the recording on this album was never reissued.

image.png

9 minutes ago, heritage said:

So which of the three Berlin Concerts was the best :conf:

I was there friday and saturday. Saturday was a better performance. Friday was also very good though. 

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So do we know if the digital concert hall version is bound to be that of Saturday? Or would they include better/different footage? Also, is that version bound to be the one released physically?

I am 99% sure it's not.

The DigitalConcert app still says that the concert is being edited (while they were able to broadcast  Saturday's evening recording the following afternoon): that means they will offer on demand a different edit then the unedited Saturday performance.

Also, I went on Thursdays and the wall mounted cameras at the back sides of the orchestra were definitely operating.

On top of that, I am sure they want to include the recording of the Princess Leia's theme, only played on Thursday.

I don't see why they would choose another performance for the Digital Concert Hall, because for all recent concerts, they always put the last performance in their archive, as it was announced in their concert calendar. So I think it's safe the saturday performance will show up there.

If they recorded all three concerts it makes most sense of course that they choose the best performances out of the three concert recordings, so that the release might feature a mix of all three. But as far as I know, it's not confirmed that they really recorded all three, would make the most sense though. We have to wait and see... Would be nice to have something before end of the year :D

Edit: Right, that will be interesting to see if they include Princess Leia's Theme...

Question, did the people who watch either on Saturday or later have to deal with a presenter too? I really dislike that radio woman interrupting things, but don'tk now if the sound on the radio was better or not.

21 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Those large retro-style mics were positioned each time to capture the cello during the Elegy.

Yeah ok then it's clear that everything was captured.

On the digital concert hall website, they now put a concert that took place on 23.10, before (!) the Williams one in the "available soon" list.:stick:

10 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Aww, so he was camera shy at the time.... How far he's come that he got a starring role in the last Star Wars ! 

On 24/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

That could also have been to amplify the soloist during the performance.

there was no amplified music in the concert hall.

57 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

They've added times next to the concert listings and also they've added Leia's Theme (sorry if that's already been mentioned). Maybe Wlliams/Digital Concert Hall is choosing the 'best' recording of each piece from the three concerts? 

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/53783

No time for Leia's Theme though :(.

Well, Marion's theme doesn't have time too, and I am sure they will include it.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

...that you know of. At classical concerts it can be very subtle.

In a hall like that with that level of live acoustic?
Can you provide actual examples?

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, I've experienced it at several classical concerts in concert halls designed specifically for orchestras. My impression is that it's quite common.

I've never experienced it at "proper" concerts, except if there were amplified instruments like an e-bass - and then it was quite obvious. Tanglewood was amplified, and compare to other amplified orchestral concerts I've heard it was relatively well done, but it was clearly noticeable for some of the solo instruments, and the choir sounded wrong.

3 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

There is an editing issue at the beginning of Adventures of Han: the first couple of seconds of the video are repeated. The audio is ok.

And for some reason the spoken introduction to Jurassic Park is missing.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

So you can't sit down to watch the full concert, only chunks for each piece? Weird choice.

It's due to the superficial playlist mentality of our times.

Also no interview with John Williams himself? Or footage from rehearsals?

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Also no interview with John Williams himself? Or footage from rehearsals?

That seems weird to me, that they never sat down to interview him for the occasion. Didn't he have one interview with ASM and another with Sarah Willis, to commemorate Vienna?

Do we have previous releases in DVD/Blu-Ray of concerts from the Berliner Philharmoniker, or just audio releases?

Now I am fearing no physical release in video will happen :( 

9 minutes ago, victorrt said:

Do we have previous releases in DVD/Blu-Ray of concerts from the Berliner Philharmoniker, or just audio releases?

Now I am fearing no physical release in video will happen :( 

:eek2: